My 57th and possibly last SOTA birthday celebration (Part 3)

Full report up later, but was able to subject Guru to my terrible CW on 30m for a S2S from G/LD-050. It was cold but the wind stayed manageable.

4 Likes

It was lovely to work you Guru, happy birthday :birthday:

I had setup my SOTA gear in my garden in leau of any hills nearby but was very disappointed that your signal was right in the noise. Then I had an idea and tried swinging the end of the EFHW a few metres to move any nulls around and bingo - you came up to a nice 579 on 20m :slight_smile:

And the sun came out:
IMG_1073

All the very best wishes and see you from a summit later this year!

73 Jonathan

7 Likes

Dear Guru,

stayed on DM/RP-302 until the batteries where low. Checked the spots. But could not hear you on 20m and 30m. Conditions where strange ā€¦
Got some hints from Armin and Paul from the BW-SOTA group, but unfortunately nothing to hearā€¦

But I think I worked you one day before :slight_smile:
In fact you worked meā€¦ :slight_smile:

However, hope you enjoyed your activation. Once again happy birthday!
Looking forward to meet you on the air!

73s
Ingo

8 Likes

Missed you Guru
Sri, packed up at 1240, next timeā€¦

God, do I really look that bad on camera!!
Regards
David
G0EVV

4 Likes

An unforgetable day in the great company of Ignacio @EA2BD, AndrĆ© @F5UKL and Alain @F5ODQ. Thanks for all the QSOs and S2S. Now Iā€™m going to type the logā€¦
In the mean time, I give you in advance a picture of myself at the very summit:

And this one operating:

More to come laterā€¦

28 Likes

Looking good at the summit Guru,
Did not hear you at my AZ location.

Best, Ken

1 Like

You were seriously loud on 30m especially as you were only 162km from me. Gavin GM0GAV was 75km away and was nowhere near as loud. He did seem to have a serious pileup of chasersā€¦ seemed mad when I first started chasing him. I gave up and returned a bit later when the bedlam has subsided.

Guru, to ensure the blue sky for your birthday celebration on the summit we took here the grey and misty one :wink:

73, Ludwig

7 Likes

No, that was us (M1EYP & M0HGY) on G/SP-004!

7 Likes

Our day was cold, with -2ĀŗC indicated by my car meter during the 48Km drive to the start point, but the sky was beautifully blue, so I guess it was necesary that two of you, at least, got the grey and foggy to guarantee our perfect blue sky.

Iā€™ve finished the log typing. 77 QSOs with 13 of them S2S and 2 DX USA. Highly satisfied with that log despite the not very good propagation conditionsā€¦

I think Iā€™ll work on the activation report tomorrow.

Thank you all and apologies for the late start which made some of you wait for too long or even leave your summits under the inclement cold.

Guru

10 Likes

I was delighted to work Guru today. Mea culpa, I have a confession to make: I was unable to hear him on my compromise antennas (imposed by restrictions mandated by our home-owners association) with my QTH noise levels. But I very much wanted to ā€œattendā€ his SOTA ā€œbirthday party.ā€ So I logged onto a web-connected SDR receiver in Bayern (Bavaria), on which I could copy his signal, and he was able to hear my transatlantic transmitted CW.

GIven the various threads about remote receivers, I will not log this as a chaser contact. I was just glad to join Guruā€™s party. Guru, I hope this doesnā€™t cause you problems with your SOTA database log ā€“ if so, blame my wish to be part of your celebration!

Scott

4 Likes

Great to work you today, Guru! Happy birthday once again :birthday: :tada: :balloon:

Ham Alert went off when you started CQing on 60m but not a single dit was to be heard on my end. So I ā€˜satā€™ on 10.118 and waited for you to QSY. And there you were a couple minutes later :slight_smile:
Thanks for the QSO! I hope you had a great day out there and enjoyed all the QSOs and greetings from the SOTA family.

Hope to cu soon!
73, Roman

4 Likes

QHB Guru, sorry I missed you today, I was on EI/IE-003 but with the cold and wind I left and then I see spot for you when I am already half way back down the mountain. Lets take yesterdays qso from Slievecorragh as the birthday qso and todayā€™s activation also to honour your strength at this difficult time for you

Declan

2 Likes

Happy Birthday again Guru ! :
Thanks very much for the QSO today,it was,a real pleasure.Iā€™m sure we will work again soon.
All the very best !

Jan SM5LNE

3 Likes

Idem Roman! very pleased with your QSO on 30m, the very firt one!

Iā€™m afraid my new OCF 7+2.1m sloper random wire antenna can be easily tuned on 60m, but itā€™s performance is extremely poor. Itā€™s a far too short piece of wire for 60m band.

You bet I really did. Very much!

Guru

3 Likes

I was delighted with your call and QSO. It is in my activator log and so it will remain.
As I alredy told you via PM, you can perfectly log your chaser QSO specifying on the comment box that your RX was via SDR in Bayern (Bavaria) Germany.
Itā€™s permitted under current SOTA rules and the MT (or at least @MM0FMF) recommends saving the chase with that info in the comments box.

Guru

2 Likes

Great Pictures there Guru, I chased you today, but couldnā€™t pull your signal out of the noise to make a QSO. Glad you had a great birthday.

Till next time

73 Richie MW7RJO

3 Likes

Hi Guru,
Happy birthday and well done.
Not a single SOTA station copied here during the party. I listened to the spotted frequencies from 40 to 12 m. A couple of chasers were partly copied but propagation wasnā€™t there at the time.

No EU stations were seen on 30 m FT8. A bad sign.

Next year?

Ron
VK3AFW

5 Likes

Hi Guru, it was great to work you today on SSB and CW and give you a genuine report of 57 from summit 057 to celebrate 57th birthday. I am looking forward to doing the same for your 58th.

73 Victor GI4ONL

4 Likes

Unfortunately I was unable to get on the radio to work you Guru. I am really pleased to read that you had a very enjoyable and successful day. I sincerely hope that 058 will be possible. My very best wishes for the future, for coping with the treatment and for coming through it all.

73, Gerald

4 Likes