Mwdwl-eithin

The forecast is looking good for Wednesday. Does anyone have an idea of how much laying snow there might be on this hill? It’s a favourite of mine.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

Hi Richard,

The main thickness of snow is no more than 12 inches. There are drifts waist deep. Temp has not risen above freezing for days, so it’ll be crisp and dry. Main roads are OK. Some ice on side roads. Should be do-able and probably really good fun.

Which route were you thinking of ?

Ian.

In reply to GW8OGI:

Which route were you thinking of ?

Mike GW0DSP said there was a very easy route to the summit of this one but I can’t remember where now. I remember parking some distance from this one as the obvious spaces were full. Long time ago now, I do remember it was very, very windy.

Have fun, some of us will be back with our noses to the grindstone tomorrow.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to GW8OGI:

Hi Ian

Thanks for the info. The snow cover is very variable it seems.

For a route I was thinking of possibly parking by Ty Isaf SH933571 and going via Pen-y-ffrith. Looks like a nice walk. If I do go I will take the snowshoes! Could be great fun as you say. It’s a nice hill - quiet and relatively remote feeling (for a hill that is less than 2km from an “A” road anyway!).

Plans are vague but if the sun is shining I must do something.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:
Richard try a snowmobile, will get you to the top ;-p

just for your information its snowing here in bolton.

Steve m0sgb

OK, not been from there.

The walk from SH957567 is very nice and along good tracks (no farmyard!).

Done it along the footpath from SH926565 as well, but might be hard work in the snow.

The well-made ‘Alwen Trail’ which runs round the lake is great on foot or on bikes, but maybe not this time of year. (The main car park for this is at the dam off the B4501.)

You’ll pick up the Trail between Pen-y-Ffrith and the footbridge over the tail of the lake. Follow it after you cross the bridge, it runs uphill and curves slowly round to head about 160. After about 1km, you’ll hit a steel kissing gate in a fence running approx NE to SW. The fence goes dead straight through the heather to the summit. The other footpaths on the OS map going near the summit do not exist and are nothing but rough boggy heather! Even in the summer I use the fenceline!

Cheers,

Ian.

In reply to GW8OGI:

Thanks Ian. With current conditions I may have to stick to something more local. Even a trip to the Post Office is looking tricky today.

Richard
G3CWI

[Post edit - Post Office was closed when I got there anyway]

In reply to G3CWI:

Indeed. I’ve just got home after 5 hours (normally 35 mins)!

Just after I posted my last message the snow came down. I drove 10 miles, walked 5, then luckily was picked up by someone from our village in a 4x4 for the last 10 miles!

Have fun tomorrow. No work for me so will look out for you on the air.

Ian.