Must share!

Try this reliable call test link Jimmy:

https://clublog.org/test.php?call=K2GT&year=2020&month=6&day=30&hour=15&minute=34

73 Phil Clublog

PS It looks like you may need to register to test the call DXCC Country. If you don’t want to - pic courtesy of Clublog (Well done Tom FT8 works well albeit its a little souless, but so is BK 599 BK)

Your spell checker needs fixing Jimmy. Although Huawei may have been listening in of course.

1 Like

The highly unreliable QRZ.com shows his QTH on his QSL card.

I have corrected the spellings Richard.

Thank you Phil and Andy for confirming that this station is actually Hawaii. I am surprised that the USA licensing systems allows you to operate in a separate DXCC by using a USA callsign. This can be very confusing for those who collect DXCCs as most of us would think that K2GT is USA when actually is it Hawaii. I am pleased that Ofcom never went down the route of making UK DXCC prefixes optional.

Jimmy M0HGY

I already knew K2GT was Hawaii last night. I had good intelligence that he was very likely to be QRV on 20m FT4 between 0830z and 1030z today. This was the primary purpose of me doing an activation this morning, and on 20m FT4! I even popped him an email through requesting a sked!

I didn’t get a reply, but there he was answering one of my CQ calls! He then sent me an email thus:

“That was relatively easy. I turned on the radio and there you were. Aloha”.

What is the purpose of the callsign to the licencing authority?
What requirements does the licencing authority place on the callsign holder when they you operate from different locations?

The answers to those questions explain why K2GT is OK for operation for KH6 land.

Hawaii is USA as is Alaska.

As they are both US states, you are absolutely correct Steve. But they are distinct DXCCs. Generally (but certainly not entirely), the DXCC can be determined from the prefix. This is convenient for us as radio amateurs, but USA (etc) is one of those where we know we need to double-check to confirm things like the DXCC, CQ zone, ITU zone, state etc. Fortunately most prefixes do determine those things instantly, but other examples that need checking before logging (for DXCC etc) are Russian prefixes (European Russia / Asiatic Russia / Kalinigrad) and even our own GB special event stations.

If I lived in Hawaii and was licenced then I would definitely want a boring “somewhere in the mainland” style call so I could actually just go on the air and play without out every “DXer” interrupting my QSOs for a call and card.

Just imagine what happens when you hear:
CQ CQ CQ K2GT CQ CQ CQ K2GT
versus
CQ CQ CQ KH6GT CQ CQ CQ KH6GT

So you can be incognito as K2GT or stir up a storm as K2GT/KH6. Smart move in my opinion.

1 Like

Britain does have its share of confusion. Which DXCC would GB0ABC be ? Especially when you work them in a contest and they did not update QRZ.com/Hamlog etc

I’d be very surprised to find a special event station working a contest. We know all contest exchanges are 59KW etc. so how would a special event station being able to explain at length what the purpose was of their station was and give you the inside leg measurements and hat sizes of all the operators?

Now these days you can change your call and it does not matter in which state you live in. I worked K2GT some weeks ago and I asked him about his not so common call for HI. He said he had a KH6 call (KH6AV) but wanted his old call back from the CONUS.
BTW: Some weeks ago I worked K2GT, WH6HI and AH6U in a row and was looking 5 years for HI before. Very strange.

2 Likes

Been a while since I worked KH6, but I remember one SSB conversation on 20m back in early 2014 between myself in 5Z4 (KI88) and a mobile HF operator in KH6 (BL10) that was surprisingly clear. Grey-line might have been helping, but I’m sure the sunspots were helping more…

2 Likes