Multi-lingual support

Jon

I wonder if it might be possible to have more than one reflector? Say one for French and one German as well as the English one?

Richard

In reply to G3CWI:

That would be an excellent idea!! Let us know if it is likely to happen. The French team are discussing setting up a French language Yahoo reflector for SOTA. It would save tham the bother AND provide a better service if it could be done here.

73 de Les, G3VQO

In reply to G3VQO:

Your default refector could be determined by your home association as a default (although the user could change it).

Richard

In reply to G3CWI:

I wonder if it might be possible to have more than one reflector? Say
one for French and one German as well as the English one?

Yes, I don’t see why this should be too much of a problem.

I could modify the user settings so that each user could select the reflectors that they want displaying.

73, Jon

In reply to GM4ZFZ:

Great news!!

Is this firm enough for me to tell the French team that it’s on its way?

73 de Les

In reply to G3CWI:

Your default refector could be determined by your home association as
a default (although the user could change it).

What is the current reflector? A ‘general’ reflector? The ‘International’ refector. It would seem a shame for it to be only the ‘UK’ reflector. The ‘English Language’ one perhaps?

I can see the case for German and French language reflectors, but to segregate by association would perhaps work against the international slant of SOTA?

73, Jon

In reply to GM4ZFZ:

I agree that it should be language-based, rather than Association-based.

As each Association gains new adherents, there will always be a stream of questions, easily answered by the cognoscenti, but not so easy to answer when you are searching in a non-native source document.

There will certainly be such a need as France discovers SOTA, and, I imagine, as and when Italy and Spain enter the fold.

My ideal option would be a sort of menu available from which the user can select one or more languages of interest. These would then be integrated into that user’s reflector page in much the same way as spot filtering might. This is probably asking too much though!

73 de Les

In reply to G3VQO:

I had meant “language based”. I was just suggesting that one could have a good stab at the default language by knowing the home Assocation of the user.

Richard

In reply to G3VQO:

Is this firm enough for me to tell the French team that it’s on its
way?

I can’t think of any reason why not. So yes, go for it Les.

Jon

In reply to GM4ZFZ:

Hi Jon

I see that you have already made changes to the “Edit Account” page to allow selection of French or German language options for the reflector. That is quick progress.

I’m wondering what your final intentions are in this area. Whilst the majority of users will content themselves with a single language option, I think that there will be a significant minority who will wish to monitor posts in two (or more) languages. Many of the German players are extremely fluent in English, the Swiss may wish to read both German and French, and I would also like to keep an eye on the French reflector in addition to the English one. In this manner I envisage that the more experienced SOTA devotees will be on-hand to answer the inevitable basic questions from newcomers, and in their native language. This will help SOTA to present a truly international face, instead of being regarded as a primarily UK-centric organisation.

However you decide to proceed, please allow for other languages to be added in the future as other nationalities join the club.

73 de Les, G3VQO

In reply to G3VQO:

Les, I am invisuaging that most people will use the English reflector plus one or two others. And there is no reason why other langauges should be used in the future.

I am not quite sure whether to ‘mix’ the reflectors with the French & German posts preceded with a little flag or some thing similiar. Or whether to have them displayed in different sections. The drawback with this is that if someone was running 3 reflectors there would only be room for 3 or 4 post on each on the home page view…

73, Jon

In reply to G3CWI:
I currently subscribe to both the German as well as the English reflectors, and in any future development I would be strongly in favour of a multi-language system.
Ken