Mt. San Cristóbal EA2/NV-119 by EA2IF/P on 09/04/2016

Edited on 10/04/2016 to thank Manuel EA2DT who warned me today about my mistake on yesterday’s activation log, as I wrote the wrong date of 10/04/2016 instead of the actual 09/04/2016. I have just corrected the log in the database and now here on the activation report,

I didn’t activate Mt. San Cristóbal EA2/NV-119 on the Saturday morning because my daughters didn’t want to go to their rock climbing training. They are 13 and 11 now and it looks like after almost 3 years doing so, they feel like doing other different things for sport now.
I’ll see how I’ll manage things to try not to stop doing my SOTA training ascent of this mountain and the always pleasant SOTA activation from now on.
In the mean time, I found that I had an hour to activate in the afternoon, but it wasn’t possible for me to do it with the usual ascent hike, so I drove with my car to nearly the top of the mountain.
I took my rucksack and the fishing pole and hiked the remaining 120m or so from my car to the summit activating point.
Two men approached me wondering what that fishing pole was about and I explained them that I was preparing for a sort of fishing, although it wasn’t exactly fish what I was about to catch.
I started on 20m CW and the fishing was very good, as I logged 14 QSOs in 14 minutes, including 4 DX with USA and one with Japan with great strong signal to my big surprise.
After 20m, I QSYed to 30m where I logged 4 more QSOs.
I announced QRT on 30m and switched off my rig, but I looked to my wrist watch and I thought that I may have some few minutes to give 20m SSB a try.
So I sent a selfspot for 14.285 and started CQing, but after several CQ calls, just one single QSO was logged. It was a German station working QRP as I was.
Thank you very much to all the chasers for your calls and QSOs.
This is the full log of today’s, my 45th activation of Mt. San Cristóbal:

Best 73 de Guru.