MT - please consider this

In light of the sad news we read today on the SOTA reflector of the passing of CT1DBS Pedro Carvalho, SOTA Portugal Association Manager, and what we witness happening in the world with Covid-19 and the fact that none of us are getting any younger.

Would it be possible for individuals to express their wishes to the MT that when they pass on that they want to have the letters (SK) placed against their callsigns in the SOTA Database and in their left behind profile.

There are two ways that I would suggest this could be done, either by advance notice to the MT by the operator concerned, or by a note being left with ones will, enabling a family member to notify an MT member of this wish.

Could you please give this consideration, on this very sad occasion.

Thank you.

Phil G4OBK

3 Likes

The database gurus (or is that gurii) will say whether it is practicable, but to me it is a very nice thought.

When we’re advised that someone is SK, we normally change the access to the account to lock it off. We’ve been happy to amend calls shown on the reflector and database when asked. In previous cases I think family members requested this. I’m fairly sure one case both father and son were active.

e.g.
PA0WLB shows the call as PA0WLB/SK on the database
Messages from G4OWG show as G4OWG SK on this reflector.

I’d prefer CALLSIGN (SK)

I always enter a title of SK against every call sign in the reflector user database when ever I become aware of some one departing this planet. That shows against their call sign for every post that they may have made. For one, it should hopefully advise anyone trying to reply to such a post that the poster is no longer with us.
Jim

1 Like

In my opinion that is a fine idea that I fully support in whatever format it is implemented.
Regards
David
G0EVV

All good comments - thanks to MT members and the others for their thoughts. Glad this is being taken care of, SK in brackets or not.

73 and stay safe

Phil

2 Likes

Hi Phil

Did you know that you can contact the MT directly using this link?
https://www.sota.org.uk/Contact

It’s one of the many useful links available in the menu at SW3.

Thanks info RIchard.

Stay safe
Phil

1 Like