Mt. Iriberri EA2/NV-116 by EA2IF/P on 26/06/2019

Since I’ll have my first visit to the oncologist tomorrow and the weather was warm and sunny with not too much wind today, I decided to do some “carpe diem” and enjoy activating SOTA before it possibly gets too hard or difficult in the near future.
>Dado que tendré mi primera visita con la oncólogo mañana y el tiempo era cálido y soleado con no demasiado viento hoy, decidí hacer algo de “carpe diem” y disfrutar activando SOTA antes de que posiblemente se haga demasiado duro o difícil en el futuro próximo

Again I chose a drive-on summit, to which it’s possible to access to after some 4x4 driving on a dirt road made for servicing the many aerogenerators in this area. I drove the dirt road on 4x4 but it can easily be driven on a regular 4x2 car when there’s no snow/ice.
>Otra vez elegí una cima accesible en coche a la que es posible acceder tras un poco de conducción 4x4 en una pista de tierra hecha para dar servicio a los muchos aerogeneradores en éste área. Conduje en la pista de tierra en 4x4 pero puede hacerse fácilmente en un vehículo 4x2 cuando no hay nieve/hielo.

This summit has given me lots of problems in the past due to QRM from the aerogenerators, but today I managed to reduce interference quite well by changing the location of the antenna and also by reducing a bit the RF gain of my FT-817ND. I still had some QRM but it wasn’t as bad as it had been in previous activations.
>Esta cima me ha dado muchos problemas en el pasado debido al QRM de los aerogeneradores, pero hoy conseguí reducir interferencia bastante bien cambiando la localización de la antena y también reduciendo un poco la ganancia de RF en mi FT-817ND. Aún tuve algo de QRM pero no fue tan malo como había sido en activaciones previas.

There’s a very tall trig point in this summit and given the nice sunny weather and that I was in no rush at all, I took the time to climb to it and install my fishing rod at the top.
>Hay un vértice geodésico muy alto en esta cima y dado el agradable y soleado tiempo y que no tenía prisa ninguna, me tomé el tiempo de subir a él e instalar mi caña de pescar en lo más alto.

The activation went as follows:

• Selfspot and CQ on 60m CW (5.3545) but just QRM could be heard and not a single QSO was logged after nearly 10 minutes CQing.

• 40m CW: I started with S2S QSOs with DL/PA0SKP/P and DL/HB9ELD/P. Then I QSYed down to 7.031 and started CQing. This band produced a total of 15 QSOs in 25 minutes, with the 2 previously mentionned S2S at the begining.

• 30m CW: I logged 11 QSOs in 22 minutes, one of which was a S2S with Fabio IK2LEY/P. I must apologize for not being able to copy the signal report from Mariusz SP9AMH due to his low signal, the QSB in the bands today and the QRM from the aerogenerators, so I unfortunately couldn’t log the QSO.

• 20m SSB: 15 QSOs in 21 minutes, one of which was a DX with KD1CT. I also had a nice long chat with Andy @G8MLQ when he called me again 6 minutes after our first QSO. We spoke about the running of the bulls in Pamplona, due to start very soon (from the 7th to the 14th of July). He had seen it on the internet, but he told me he had also seen a life bullfighting many years ago in the city of Sitges in the Mediterranean coast of Spain. He also told me he would be in Gozo Island in a few days time and he might be trying to activate some SOTA over there. His callsign when in Gozo Is. will be 9H3AF, so let’s stay tuned for his possible Alerts/Spots.

• 20m CW: 4 QSOs in 7 minutes, one of which was a S2S with GW0PEB/P and another one was a DX with K4DY. I didn’t linger longer on 20m because the time was passing by and given the good conditions we’ve got in the past few days and the warm sunny weather we had today, I was eager about trying the 10m band. So there I QSYed…

• 10m SSB: 5 QSOs in 12 minutes. I regret to say that I copied M0VCZ but he never came back to me with my signal report after I sent him his, or at least I didn’t copy him. The QSB was severe in all bands today.

• 10m CW: 11 QSOs in 20 minutes, 2 of which were S2S with DL/OK1CZ/P and HB9BIN/P.

>La activación fue como sigue:

• Autospot y CQ en 60m CW (5.3545) pero solo QRM pude oir y no anoté un solo QSO tras cerca de 10 minutos llamando CQ.

• 40m CW: Empecé con QSOs SaS con DL/PA0SKP/P y DL/HB9ELD/P. Entonces hice QSY a 7.031 y empecé a llamar CQ. Esta banda produjo un total de 15 QSOs en 25 minutos, con los previamente mencionados 2 QSOs SaS al principio.

• 30m CW: Anoté 11 QSOs en 22 minutos, uno de los cuales fue un SaS con Fabio IK2LEY/P. Debo pedir excusas por no ser capaz de copiar el reporte de señal de Mariusz SP9AMH debido a su baja señal, el QSB en las bandas hoy y el QRM de los aerogeneradores, así que desgraciadamente no pude anotar el QSO.

• 20m SSB: 15 QSOs en 21 minutos, uno de los cuales fue un DX con KD1CT. También tuve una agradable larga charla con Andy @G8MLQ cuando me llamó de nuevo 6 minutos después de nuestro primer QSO. Hablamos sobre el encierro en Pamplona, que empezarán muy pronto (del 7 al 14 de julio). Él lo había visto en internet, pero me dijo que también había visto una corrida de toros en directo hace muchos años en la ciudad de Sitges en la costa mediterránea española. Él me dijo también que estaría en la Isla de Gozo en unos pocos días y podría estar intentando activar alguna SOTA por allí. Su indicativo cuando esté en la isla de Gozo será 9H3AF, así que estemos atentos a sus posibles alertas/anuncios de actividad.

• 20m CW: 4 QSOs en 7 minutos, uno de los cuales fue un SaS con GW0PEB/P y otro fue un DX con K4DY. No permanecí más tiempo en 20m porque el tiempo iba pasando y dadas las buenas condiciones que hemos tenido en los últimos pocos días y el cálido y soleado tiempo que teníamos hoy, estaba ansioso por probar la banda de 10m. Así que hice QSY allí…

• 10m SSB: 5 QSOs en 12 minutos. Lamento decir que copié a M0VCZ pero él nunca volvió para mí con mi reporte de señal después de que yo le enviara el suyo, o al menos, yo no le copié. El QSB fue severo en todas las bandas hoy.

• 10m CW: 11 QSOs en 20 minutos, 2 de los cuales fueron S2S con DL/OK1CZ/P y HB9BIN/P.

All in all, 61 QSOs in the log, 6 S2S, 2 DX with the USA, 16 QSOs on 10m.
I enjoyed this activation like a pig in the mud :slightly_smiling_face: :upside_down_face: :innocent: :blush: :wink:
>En total, 61 QSOs en el log, 6 SaS, 2 DX con los EE.UU., 16 QSOs en 10m.
Disfruté esta activación como un cerdo en el barro :slightly_smiling_face: :upside_down_face: :innocent: :blush: :wink:

This is the full log:
>Este es el log completo:

imagen

This is the S2S log:
Este es el log SaS:
imagen

When I climbed back to the tall trig point to take my fishing rod back at the end of the activation, I took a few pictures for you to see the close and numerous aerogenerators here.
>Cuando subí de nuevo al alto vértice geodésico para recuperar mi caña de pescar al final de la activación, tomé unas pocas fotos para que vean los cercanos y numerosos aerogeneradores aquí.

You’ll see my operating position down there.
>Verán mi posición de operación allí abajo.

As always, thanks dear chasers for your calls, QSOs and nice words.
I’ll be looking forward to contacting you all soon again from another summit.
>Como siempre, gracias estimados cazadores por sus llamadas, QSOs y bonitas palabras.
Estaré esperando para contactarles a todos ustedes de nuevo pronto desde otra cima

Guru

15 Likes

Hola Guru,

That’s a nice antenna support, I wish we had things like that on our summits! :smile:

Thanks for the pictures, and for the chaser QSO last week. I wish you much strength and confidence for the challenging times that lie ahead of you, and hope to hear EA2IF/P soon and many times again in the future. Maybe you’ll come to HB9 to enjoy some healthy mountain air :wink: – I would love to accompany you to a summit, be it a 1-point drive-up, a 10-point challenging hike, or anything in between!

vy 73,

Manuel HB9DQM

2 Likes

Thanks dear Manuel for your good wishes. I visited the oncologist today and I know now that my chemotherapy treatment will start on July 3rd. They will run 6 cycles of 14 days each over 3 months, then the surgery to remove the section of my rectum with the tumor on it and finally they will repeat the same 6 cycles of chemotherapy over 3 more months to make sure there won’t be anything left behind to potentially reproduce a tumor.
I asked the doctor what are her expectations of success after this treatment and she cathegorically replied that she was expecting full success for me, which made me very happy :smile:
I’m pretty sure I’ll be able to be on air soon as EA2IF (chasing) and possibly even as EA2IF/P (activating).
I’d love to be visiting HB again and have the time to activate SOTA over there with you but that’s something I don’t see easily hapenning in the next years. But, who knows…
Reciprocally, I’d be delighted joining you in an activation should you come over to EA2/NV land when ever you want.
Thanks for all your activations and I’ll keep chasing you whenever I can.

Guru

4 Likes