Mt. Etxauri EA2/NV-070 by EA2IF/P on 08/10/2019

After the 6 sessions of chemotherapy I’ve gone through over the summer and the unfortunate result that my tumour hasn’t reduced enough to be operated, I had a scanner this morning at the hospital for the doctors to prepare things for my radiotherapy sessions due to start next Monday in order to try to reduce further my rectum cancer tumour so it can be finally operated and successfully cut off.
>Después de las 6 sesiones de quimioterapia que he recibido en el verano y el infortunado resultado de que mi tumor no se ha reducido lo suficiente como para ser operado, he tenido un escaner esta mañana en el hospital para que los doctores preparen las cosas de cara a mis sesiones de radioterapia que deberían empezar el próximo lunes para tratar de reducir más mi tumor canceroso de recto, de forma que pueda finalmente ser operado y extirpado con éxito.

I have the feel that the coming 6 weeks are going to be tough with a daily session of radiotherapy from Mondays to Fridays and another chemotherapy treatment in parallel to be had in the form of pills twice a day everydays over those 6 weeks, so I thought it would be nice to go out and activate SOTA before the tougher times arrive possibly not letting me do it.
>Tengo la sensación de que las próximas 6 semanas van a ser duras con una sesión diaria de radioterapia de lunes a viernes y otro tratamiento de quimioterapia en paralelo a recibir en forma de pastillas dos veces al día, todos los días a lo largo de esas 6 semanas, así que pensé que sería bonito salir y activar SOTA antes de que los tiempos más duros lleguen, posiblemente no dejándome hacerlo.

With the great weather we had today, I decided to go out in the afternoon and activate this 4 pointer for the first time this year. It has a great take-off towards the West and I wanted to focus on trying to have as many transatlantic QSOs as possible, including S2S.
>Con el buenísimo tiempo que tuvimos hoy, decidí salir por la tarde y activar ésta cima de 4 puntos por primera vez este año. Tiene un fantástico despegue hacia el Oeste y quería enfocarme en intentar cuantos más QSOs transatlánticos fuera posible, incluyendo S2S.

I drove past the cemetery in the outskirt of the little village of Muniain de Guesalaz, parked and started the hike in company of our dog Lucho. Another dog, which was the shepherd dog taking care of a number of cows chewing grass around the cemetery where I parked my car, came with us all the way up to the very summit. Once in the summit, it left at some point and I found it again when we returned to the car 2 hours and 38 minutes after having started the hike.
>Conduje hasta pasado el cementerio en las afueras del pequeño pueblo de Muniain de Guesalaz, aparqué y empecé la subida en compañía de nuestro perro Lucho. Otro perro, que era el perro pastor al cargo de un número de vacas comiendo hierba alrededor del cementerio donde aparqué mi coche, vino con nosotros toda la subida hasta la misma cima. Una vez en la cima, él se marchó en algún momento y lo encontré de nuevo cuando volvimos al coche 2 horas y 38 minutos después de haber empezado la subida.

I invite you to accompany us during the ascent:
The track was very easy to follow. I had it with me but a GPS is not really needed.
>Les invito a acompañarnos durante la subida:
El camino era muy fácil de seguir. Lo tenía conmigo, pero un GPS no es realmente necesario.

We were willing to go up there:
>Queríamos subir allí:

So we kept hiking up the track:
>Así que continuamos subiendo por el camino:

We entered into a bleech trees forest:
>Entramos en un hayedo:

Our dog at the bottom of the picture (black) and the shepherd dog (white) were always leading:
>Nuestro perro abajo en la foto (negro) y el perro pastor (blanco) iban siempre delante:

At this point, we left our way and made a left towards Sarbil, which is the real ancient name of this mountain and Sta. Cruz, which is the ermitage at the summit.
>En este punto, dejamos nuestro camino y giramos a la izquierda hacia Sarbil, que es el verdadero antiguo nombre de este monte y Santa Cruz, que es la ermita que hay en la cima.

Here you see the narrower track we just took:
>Aquí verán la senda más estrecha que tomamos:

This narrower track quickly got steep:
>Ésta senda más estrecha se hizo rápidamente empinada:

It was nice to hike in the shade:
>Fue agradable ascender en la sombra:

At one point we found and passed through this gate:
>En un punto encontramos y atravesamos esta puerta:

After the gate was passed, we kept hiking the path through the vegetation:
>Después de pasar la puerta, seguimos ascendiendo la senda a través de la vegetación:

The dogs kept leading the hike:
>Los perros siguieron liderando la subida:

We finally got out of the vegetation and we were already quite near the summit. From here, the views towards the East were great:
>Finalmente, salimos de la vegetación y ya estábamos bastante cerca de la cima. Desde aquí, las vistas hacia el Este eran fantásticas:

Down in the valley, the city of Pamplona:
>Abajo en el valle, la ciudad de Pamplona:

View to the NorthEast:
>Vista hacia en Noreste:

We finally reached the summit and found this view to the West with the Sun already too low:
>Finalmente, alcanzamos la cima y encontramos esta vista hacia el Oeste con el Sol ya demasiado bajo:

View to the NorthWest:
>Vista hacia el Noroeste:

View to the East:
>Vista hacia el Este:

I was running out of time and dusk would come really soon, so I quickly set up with no little difficulties due to the wind. I installed my 10m long endfed wire as a sloper like this:
Me estaba quedando sin tiempo y el crepúsculo vendría realmente pronto, así que rápidamente instalé con no pocas dificultades debido al viento. Instalé mi cable alimentado en el extremo de 10m de largo como una sloper así:

I started my operation at 17h10z on 20m CW and went QRT by about 17h55 when it was getting dark and the Moon was already up in the sky:
>Empecé mi operación a las 17h10z en 20m CW y quedé QRT para eso de las 17h55, cuando se estaba haciendo oscuro y la Luna estaba ya arriba en el cielo:

The Sun was already gone:
>El Sol ya se había marchado:

The great take-off towards the West gave good results and I logged 23 QSOs, 9 of which were transatlantic. After my QSO with SV2OXS at 17h34, @WA2USA /P started calling CQ SOTA on my same frequency 14.064. I was copying him very well and called him for S2S, but it turned out he wasn’t copying me. He sometimes sent ??? after my call, but my 5 watts were not enough and I finally gave up calling him and QSYed down to 14.062 to resume my CQing trying to be chased by some more DX. There I logged 4 more QSOs, one of which was DX from the U.S.A.
>El gran despegue hacia el Oeste dio buenos resultados y anoté 23 QSOs, 9 de los cuales fueron transatlánticos. Después de mi QSO con SV2OXS a las 17h34, WA2USA/P empezó a llamar CQ SOTA en mi misma frecuencia 14.064. Yo le estaba copiando muy bien y le llamé para S2S, pero resultó que él no me copiaba. Él envió algunas veces ??? después de mi llamada, pero mis 5 vatios no eran suficiente y finalmente dejé de llamarle e hice QSY abajo a 14.062 para volver a llamar CQ intentando ser cazado por algún DX más. Allí anoté 4 QSOs más, uno de los cuales fue DX desde los EE.UU.

This is the full log with 23 QSOs, 9 of which were DX with Northamerica (7 USA and 2 Canada):
>Éste es el log completo con 23 QSOs, 9 de los cuales fueron DX con Norteamérica (7 EE.UU. y 2 Canadá):

You can see it on the map:
>Pueden verlo en el mapa:

After packing up, upon starting our descent, the city of Pamplona was already illuminated:
>Después de empacar, al empezar nuestro descenso, la ciudad de Pamplona estaba ya iluminada:

As soon as I entered the narrow track through the vegetation, it got too dark and I had to switch ON my head torch, which I had already taken out of the rucksack and put on before leaving the summit. From that moment, all the rest of descent was done with the head torch ON. When we finally got to the car it was completely dark but my head torch let me distinguish the shepherd dog moving around us. We had already met each other and even hiked together to the summit, so I had no concerns about it in the dark. Lucho and I got in the car and I drove uneventfully the 26Km back home.
>Tan pronto como entré en la estrecha senda a través de la vegetación, se hizo demasiado oscuro y tuve que encender mi linterna frontal, que ya había sacado de la mochila y me había puesto antes de dejar la cima. Desde ese momento, todo el resto del descenso fue realizado con la linterna frontal encendida. Cuando, finalmente, llegamos al coche, estaba completamente oscuro, pero mi linterna frontal me permitió distinguir al perro pastor moviéndose a nuestro alrededor. Ya nos habíamos conocido e incluso ascendido juntos hasta la cima, así que no tuve ninguna preocupación por él en la oscuridad. Lucho y yo nos metimos en el coche y conduje sin contratiempos los 26Km de vuelta a casa.

Thanks dear chasers for your calls and QSOs.
I’ll be looking forward to copying you all again soon from a summit.
>Gracias estimados cazadores por sus llamadas y QSOs.
Estaré deseando volver a copiarles a todos ustedes pronto desde una cima.

Guru

18 Likes

Un reportaje estupendo. Fuerza Guru !!

Almost everyone has a friend or relative that has been affected by this awful disease. I have followed your posts with interest Guru. I don’t often speak about it but have had two personal battles myself. The first one was in 2006. Three operations followed by nine weeks of Chemotherapy and attending Oncology for regular check ups for more than five years. The second one was nothing in comparison. I had a nasty scab removed from the side of my head…

Personally I believe staying positive as you are Guru is very important. Your not letting it stop you doing the things you enjoy doing. My Activator logs in the database show that not long after my Chemotherapy treatment had finished I activated G/NP-021 Horse Head Moor and G/NP-017 Fountains Fell in the same day. I wont deny it was difficult but I did it instead of staying at home feeling sorry for myself.

I wish you all the best Guru

73 Chris M0RSF

5 Likes

:crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

73, Alfred, OE5AKM

1 Like