Mt. Bailadora EA1/CR-038 by EA2IF/P on 29/12/2018

Mt. Bailadora, the 1 pointer at the entrance of the Ferrol estuary has provided a memorable SOTA activation today.

Instead of the 10m long wire I often use as a sloper in my endfed antenna, I used today a 21m wire in inverted vee position. This was my set up today:

I tried to start on 17m, but I didn’t manage to find a low SWR matching with my MFJ-941B tuner, so I proceeded as follows:

• 20m CW, where I logged 11 QSOs in 10 minutes, being 3 of them DX with the USA.
  • 20m SSB, where I logged 7 QSOs in 11 minutes, being 1 of them a S2S and 2 more DX with the USA.
  • back to 20m CW, where I logged 4 QSOs in 10 minutes, being 1 of them a S2S with EA8 another a DX with VE and one QSO with 4Z.
  • 30m CW, where I logged 10 QSOs in 23 minutes, being 2 of them S2S.
  • 40m CW, where I logged 22 QSOs in 28 minutes.
  • back to 20m CW, where I logged 16 QSOs in 39 minutes, being 14 of them DX with the USA from really distant states like CA, AZ, CO, OK…

A few minutes before the end of this activation, I took this picture of the views from my operating position:

Total was 70 QSOs in the log, 4 S2S and 20 DX from North-America.
This is the log:

imagen

And this is the S2S log:
imagen

The sky was blue and it was nice to be operating in the sunshine, but once the Sun lowered the constant humid wind kept blowing and cooled my body, so I again finished my activation feeling cold and shivering, as usual. But I enjoyed it so much that it really worths a bit of thermal-masoquism :slight_smile:

Thanks dear chasers for all your calls and QSOs.

I look forward to making new QSOs with you all from another summit.

73 and HNY,

Guru
P.D. In the activation log I posted, the “Own callsign” is EA2IF but this was not true, the actual callsign used was EA2IF/P. I realised of this error and I deleted the wrong activator log in the database to upload a correct log with Own callsign EA2IF/P.

1 Like

Hi Guru,

Nice activation! I was thrilled to make it into your logbook today from Southern California! I had been listening to you for awhile hoping that your signal would get a little stronger before I called. I was running 100 watts to a 40m long End Fed Half Wave Inverted Vee antenna. 73 and Happy New Year!

Paul K9PM

1 Like