mq1eyp / 2e0eyp

Hi Tom / Jimmy.

Hope you have fun in the Lakes over the weekend.

I’m not sure if you have activated the summits before that you have planned but just in case you haven’t I have added some new Links for quite a few of them, including my GPS tracks showing the routes I took.

It might also be worth taking a look at the WOTA Fell Detail Pages - links at the bottom, WOTA blog and G4OBK’s blog also.

I will try and add some more info tonight.

Hope they help.

Liz.

Hi Liz,

Me and my Dad M1EYP have not activated these summit before. Thank you for adding some new Links to some of these summits. I will take a look at these links shortly.

I will be activating all these SOTA summits on 2m FM, if you hear me gave me a call.

Jimmy 2(Q)0EYP

In reply to 2E0EYP:
Hi Jimmy.

Hopefully I will catch you for a S2S as hoping to be out on the fells myself during the weekend and next week.

If not, I’m sure Colin and I will work you from home, especially Dent and Blake Fell as they are the two local summits to us.

Liz.

Hi Liz,

I look forward to working you summit to summit.

Jimmy 2(Q)0EYP

In reply to 2E0EYP:

Hi Jimmy,

If you need somewhere for food after your activations I can recomend Parkside Hotel, Parkside or The Brook, Cleator after doing Dent. The Fox and Hounds at Ennerdale is also good but very busy during holiday time and Needs to be pre- booked in advanced for food. If you want takeaway then Canton Chef in Cleator Moor is best Chinese and Frasers in Egremont for Fish And Chips.

For after Low Fell, Kirkstile Inn at the bottom of the fell is best option.

Whitehaven Maritime Festival is on this weekend so unless you want to go to that, best to avoid Whitehaven. If you want to take a look, suggest you use the park and ride from Westlakes Science Park just outside Whitehaven.

Liz

Hi Jimmy

About time you and your Dad made a start on mopping up those last few G uniques :slight_smile:

Have a great time

73 de Paul G4MD who will be working :frowning:

Hi Liz,

Thank you for your recommendations of possible place for food after SOTA activations.

We will staying at Cockermouth Youth Hostel on the Friday evening and the Sunday and Monday evenings as well. We will be staying at Bower House Inn in Eskdale on the Saturday evening. We will be probably having food at Bower House Inn on Saturday evening after doing the SOTA activations and we will probably be finding places for food in Cockermouth on the other evenings.

Thank you for letting me know that the Whitehaven Maritime Festival is on. This could be an alternative to doing SOTA activations if the weather is no good.

Jimmy 2(Q)0EYP

Hi Paul,

We hope to activate 7 out of the 10 remaining uniques.

Jimmy 2(Q)0EYP

In reply to 2E0EYP:

All the best to you and the OM for getting these 7 summits activated. Not far off now completing the set. It seems an absolute age since you were both out up them thar hills.

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:
Hi Jimmy,

I have not been in many pubs Cockermouth direction, however The Bitter End does good food
http://www.bitterend.co.uk/

It you want to venture a bit further from Cockermouth, The Royal Yew at Dean is very good but ring first as they too get busy.

http://www.royalyew.co.uk/

Parkside Hotel
http://www.parksidehotelcumbria.co.uk/

The Brook Inn

http://www.thebrookcleator.co.uk/

Kirkstile Inn

http://kirkstile.com/

Whitehaven Maritime Festival

http://www.thefestival.org.uk/

:…:…:…:

I think it is time Gerald paid us a visit to the Lakes again. :wink:

Liz

Hi Liz,

Thank you for the links, we might go to The Bitter End on one of the evenings.

Gerald G4OIG is a 100% unique activator. There is chance that he might come to the Lake District to activate some SOTA summits under his class B callsign.

Jimmy 2(Q)0EYP

In reply to 2E0EYP:

Don’t forget that Jennings brewery is in Cockermouth.

Hope you have a great few days activating.

Rod

Hi Rod,

I will probably be drinking some Jennings ale in some of the pub after SOTA activating this weekend.

Jimmy 2(Q)0EYP

In reply to 2E0EYP:

Thank you for the links, we might go to The Bitter End on one of the evenings.

Highly recommended and it’s a micro-brewery as well - superb ales. If they have their Best Gold on tap then let me know so I can be extremely jealous!

Gerald G4OIG is a 100% unique activator. There is chance that he might
come to the Lake District to activate some SOTA summits under his
class B callsign.

Quite right Jimmy, though I’m tempted to do some Wainwrights to increase my tally of those summits.

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

I didn’t know you were a “wummit” bagger Gerald?

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

I didn’t know you were a “wummit” bagger Gerald?

Certainly when it has been convenient to do so. To date SOTA has always been the prime directive, but I’ve bagged a few Wainwrights in my time. Managed to walk over a couple on my way to Great Gable without activating them on account of poor preparation (doh), ended up on one accidentally in the mist (inadequate reference to the GPS en route between SOTA summits) and I’ve purposely dragged Paul off the line of ascent or descent to put a few more in the log.

Anyway, who cares what “class” of hill you are on when you are in the Lakes as it is such a pleasant part of the world to be in! Hmmm, that reminds me, I must look at the Lakes HuMPs sometime. Even more excuses to get back up there!!!

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

I’ll have a bash at a few when I start doing some cross-border raids. Iain MM3WJZ pointed out to me that I can nip down the M74/M6 to the Northern Lakes in less time than I can get up North to the big jaggy stuff. That makes a whole world of uniques available with huge scores on offer and the fact you can activate the wummits on the hoof on the way to something else appeals greatly.

Ta for the CW QSO… quite surprised when I read what I’d written down. Next in the log was Ian GW8OGI. You arranged that on purpose to catch me out. It worked. I made I right mince job trying to copy Ian’s call with yours still in my mind.

Andy
MM0FMF

Highly recommended and it’s a micro-brewery as well - superb ales. If they have >their Best Gold on tap then let me know so I can be extremely jealous!

Hi Gerald,

The Bitter End did not have Best Gold on tap when we were there last weekend, but there did have Golden Lakeland on tap which is also brewed by The Bitter End micro-brewery and it is a nice beer as well.

Jimmy 2(Q)0EYP