Moving a Mountain

In reply to G0LGS:

Morning Stewart, and HNY!

Must be a glitch I think - the auto update appears to be working as much to my delight my summits on 30/12/07 appeared almost instantaneously on the “my activations” column in the Sotawatch summits lists.

I notice Richard this morning is operating as G4ERP/P on SW-041. And as far as I can see that’s perfectly acceptable within the rules! An interesting anomaly - I don’t think this occurs anywhere else. Unless anyone out there knows different…

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to G4MD:

I just worked Richard and asked him if he had made an error. It seems really strange to work a G station on a GW/SW summit.
It’s obviously a rare case where the border runs through the summit.
What a pity the ref has to change when the ops call can remain as a G.

73 & HNY Mike GW0DSP

In reply to G4MD:

I don’t think this occurs anywhere else. Unless anyone out there knows different…

Hi Paul, G/SB-004 Peel Fell can be done as a G or a GM.

HNY Steve G1INK.

In reply to G4MD:

I don’t think this occurs anywhere else. Unless
anyone out there knows different…

G/SB-004 can be activated from G or GM.

In reply to GW0DSP:

Morning Mike, and HNY

When I wrote my previous comment, I had assumed that General Rule 3.7.1 para 13 was designed to deal with, and would only apply where, a single summit had two distinct valid references in two associations and so would not apply to SW-041, because WB-001 was being deleted. On re-reading I’m not so sure this interpretation is correct, or if it is strictly correct whether it is within the spirit of the rule.

Hopefully in due course the MT will provide clarification of this point.

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to M1MAJ:

Thanks Martin, Steve

I stand corrected!

73 es HNY de Paul G4MD

In reply to G4MD:

It’s certainly a strange one. The true summit being in Wales all of a sudden but the activation Zone extends into England.

The mist clears as to why the Marylins were chosen for sota use, ie RHB draws the line for us without leaving any doubt and leaves nothing to chance.

Humble pie for Mr.DSP me thinks.

73 Mike

In reply to M1MAJ:

G/SB-004 can be activated from G or GM.

Indeed. But there is a school of thought that says if you do it as a GM you should only get 2 points for it as it is only 602m rather than the 4 points you’d get doing it as a big, soft, shandy-drinking Sassenach! :slight_smile:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Many thanks Andy, Mike your comments together have crystallised my thoughts on this matter.

The summit reference is defined purely by the ruling on the location of the summit according to RHB and it’s revisions.

The activation zone is defined in the SOTA rules as any point within the permitted distance vertically of the recognised summit.

The prefix to the callsign is defined by the requirements of our licence.

There is thus no disingenuity in operating an SW as a G, nor an SB as a GM: all it involves is correctly applying the full set of rules governing the situation.

Sorry to have caused confusion!

73 de Paul G4MD

PS I may be a big soft southern Sassenach but shandy drinking? Never!

In reply to 2E0HJD:

In reply to MM0FMF:
Mmmm remind me again Andy ,which Clan it is you belong to.

:slight_smile:
Mick

Essentially, the clan McScouse! :slight_smile:

Although I’m a distillation of ancestors from Sutherland, The Borders, Devon and Michigan USA. But I grew up in Liverpool. Although some would debate if I have grown up at all!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Although I’m a distillation of ancestors from Sutherland, The Borders,
Devon and Michigan USA.

As a genealogist, it doesn’t quite sit right with me that a Brit can be descended from an American, what with the general exodus over the years having been from the UK (and Europe) to the States. I suppose your W8 ancestor might have descended from UK stock… or is there something you aren’t telling us?

As for activating SB-004 from GM, only a Scot could carry out such a violation!

73 and HNY,

Gerald

P.S. Why so few activations from GM today? Would hogmanay have anything to do with it? I would think SOTA would have been the perfect cure for a sore head!

In reply to G4OIG:

with the general exodus over the years having been from the UK (and Europe)
to the States

My W8 ancestor was in the US merchant navy in WWI and decided to jump ship in 1918 in G-land rather than return to W-land. With all the confusion after the armistice, nobody noticed!

P.S. Why so few activations from GM today? Would hogmanay have anything to do
with it? I would think SOTA would have been the perfect cure for a sore head!

I broke doctor’s orders and had a glass of wine last night. Today the WX has been grim. I got up about 8.30am and it was still dark because of the fog. Then the fog lifted and the persistent rain came. Lather, rinse, repeat all day. And in my case, I’m still confined to the shack until I finish the antibiotics and have to rest and not exert myself until at least this coming weekend. To be honest, I doubt I have enough energy to pack my bag never mind carry it anywhere. :frowning:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Hi Andy, sorry to hear you’re under the weather best wishes for a rapid recovery and a return to the hills.

73 and HNY de Paul G4MD

PS is there a Scots equivalent of a shandy drinker? Whisky waterer perhaps?

Having tried to upload my CSV log from yesterday, it seems that whilst the system will accept DM/BW-560, which according to the DL Reference manual is new, it will NOT accept GW/SW-041 which should also be valid from 1/1/2008.

Is someone in a position to fix this ?

Stewart

In reply to G0LGS:

Hi, Stewart.

For the time being, I have uploaded the logs under the old G/WB-001 reference. I’ll delete and re-enter them under the new GW/SW-041 reference if / when it changes.

Thanks for the four QSOs yesterday.

73, Richard

Just activated this summit (GW SW-041) today - I’ll wait until it’s on the database before logging it I think. Congratulations, Richard, on getting there on New Year’s day. I missed getting you on Sugar loaf later (I was on Mynydd Troed) and the Cheltenham mafia told me you were about.

73, Neil

In reply to MW0ECX:

Hi, Neil.

Sorry I missed you on SW-009. Was it still warm from my morning activation? Did you do SW-015 as well? If so, you can’t have failed to notice the motorbike tracks. What a mess one bike can make!

73, Richard

No, I didn’t do 015. Being local, doing 009 was picked up for 2008 complete with winter bonus as part of a family bimble so I didn’t see the tracks. Was the SOTA geocache still there?
Sorry - I didn’t answer your first question - in one way yes the summit was still ‘warm’ as I think I benefited from the fact that you were out in the area as there were several chasers already listening out! I was going to listen for you on Sugar Loaf, then I got a QSO with an F5 station and used up my time buffer as my family had already left the hill back to the car.

73, Neil

The database is now updated to include GW/SW-041 in place of G/WB-001.

Tom

Thanks Tom. - Looks good

HNY.

Stewart G0LGS