Mountains in winter might become deadly enemies

Dear SOTA activators,
It was mid September when I took this picture of our 10 pointer Ori Peak (EA2/NV-003) from another summit I was activating that day.

Although it’s the second TOP SOTA in our EA2/NV area, this summit seems to be an easy one because there is a good road which allows mountaneers to drive and park pretty high, having just a not difficult hike of about an hour to get from that point to the summit.
No doubt that’s the reason why this 10 pointer has been activated 14 times, while other TOP SOTAs in our area much less.

None of this summit activations has taken place in winter.

Safe and easy mountains in summer may become difficult and dangerous ones in winter.
We’ve been struck today with the terrible news of a 44 years old Spanish amateur mountaneer being found dead not far from the summit with a shock on his head after having fallen.
These are the pictures on the news today and I wanted to post them on this Reflector in order to make a warning CQ to all of us, SOTA activators, for being extremely cautious with mountains in winter. They are wonderful and beautiful, but they can easily kill us due to cold, snow and ice.

Please, be very cautious and safe while SOTAing.
Thank you and Merry Christmas de Guru - EA2IF.

May be better off in pairs
at least one in trouble another can get help

sad loss indeed
and a very good warning to others

take care out there

Karl

It was a good idea to post this warning, Guru.

Those of us that have been seriously involved with the mountains for a long time need no reminder. I have lost friends to climbing and caving accidents, I have seen other friends injured. Then there is the impersonal butcher’s bill in the climbing magazines, fatalities from falls, stonefall and avalanches every year. The mountains are beautiful, summer or winter, but one should never drop one’s guard - they can bite!

So, a safe and happy Christmas and New Year to all,

Brian

1 Like