Morsitis

In reply to G4CMQ:

Yes, Dire straits and Supertramp, right down my alley.

73 Mike

In reply to M1EYP:

Yes David, you will see activity really pick up in December, and you
just won’t know what’s hit you come the first few days of January
2008!

Yes, stand by for take-off David. I seem to recall that November was a “difficult” month last year. Exactly why we have this pause in proceedings prior to the winter bonus period I don’t know. Maybe it is to earn Brownie points with the XYL by getting all those jobs done. Seems that John BVE and Frank RMD have completed their chores…

I think you did concede the thread was ‘off-topic’ to start with, and
it has without doubt drifted further with the music stuff, but there’s
hardly any other reflector activity, and we’re all enjoying it, so why
not!

Yes, who’s complaining? I can see the dust from here as all the CD collections get disturbed!

Here is a very newly released track, doubt it will chart though!

Some good stuff is around though. I’m analysing the latest Foo Fighters at the moment, but no morse - just an unusual mix of acoustic and electric.

73, Gerald

P.S. At the risk of sticking my head above the parapet, I’ve been into Evanescence for some years now - well, it gives the offspring something to buy me for Christmas!

In reply to M1EYP:

did the production of good new music die sometime in the mid
1970’s?

No, it’s always been there, and still is. As ever, it can be hard to
find, masked by the rubbish that lies around in much greater
magnitudes. There is some good stuff around now, and there was a lot
of utter rubbish in the 70s!

Agree 100% Tom, good music and upcoming bands can always be found on “Friday Night with Jools Holland”.
There’s loads of great music out there, you just have to look for it.

73 Mike

In reply to G4OIG:

In reply to M1EYP:

Yes, who’s complaining? I can see the dust from here as all the CD
collections get disturbed!

My neighbours are giving strange looks because I cleaned the dust off my old Strat and plugged in to the amp after hearing these band names, good job I live in a detatched house hi. Right time for me to blurt out 50 watts worth of “Hotel California”. The Eagles, any fans?

73 Mike

73, Gerald

P.S. At the risk of sticking my head above the parapet, I’ve been into
Evanescence for some years now - well, it gives the offspring
something to buy me for Christmas!

I quite like Evanescence myself Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:

My Evanescence CD has been appropriated by one of the kids. Of the modern stuff I find Muse rather good as long as you can cope with the angst being turned all the way up to 11 all the time!

Interesting how some stuff has dated and others haven’t. I was listening to Heartbreaker from Zep II and Sarah commented that Grand Funk Railroad did a song with the same name that was also rather good. So we had a delve through the GFR tracks. Lots of great stuff but oh did it sound 38 years old.

Skynyrd? Just over 30 years since the plane crash. I can remember it being on the news whilst I was getting ready for school. Doesn’t seem more than a few days ago.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

In reply to G4OIG:

My Evanescence CD has been appropriated by one of the kids. > Andy
MM0FMF

Thank goodness for that Andy, I thought I had the monopoly on offspring nicking, oops got to be politically correct, I meant extended borrowing, from my CD collection.

As for Led Zepp, who can drive their car with the stereo volume turned down when “Stairway to Heaven” hits the airwaves?

73 Mike

In reply to G4OIG:

Yes, who’s complaining? I can see the dust from here as all the CD
collections get disturbed!

I have heard these CD thingies are not bad. Hope Santa remembers my packet of needles for the HMV soundbox this year. He forgot last year and I find that with all the RF around, the needles wear out faster from jumping around on the record!!!

Will have to ask the boys about these strange bands you are all talking about !

73’s
David/G4CMQ

I’m surprised that nobody has mentioned Roger Waters’ Radio Kaos.

Not only does it contain loads of morse but the concept is about a disabled relative of a radio ham who can receive and transmit radio signals directly into and out of his brain.

Now that would be very handy for sota :slight_smile:

In reply to G4CMQ:
Don’t get me started :slight_smile:
Ten years After, John Mayall , Fairport Convention , Pink Floyd (With SYD) all live at Liverpool University late '60s. The best ever though The WHO live at The Refectory Leeds University 1970. Had my lunch there today - it’s changed a bit.
Present day good stuff ie permanently on car CD Player - Bruce Springstein Live in Dublin with The Sessions Band (got the DVD as well - couldn’t get a ticket :frowning: )

Roger G4OWG

Best Gigs,

Hawkwind (Leeds Refec - 1989 ish)
Black Sabbath - Birmingham Reunion
Dio - Appollo Manchester and Manchester Uni
Alice Cooper - Appollo Manchester.
Iron Maiden - MEN Arena
Yes - Liverpool Summer Pops then MEN Arena

Is there a pattern in the above?

Ian

In reply to G4OWG:

The best ever though The WHO live at The Refectory Leeds University 1970

When I started at Leeds Uni in 1980 they still made a big deal of telling the students that they had to build a helipad for The Who to use. Apparently it’s only been used by them and Prince Charles! My better half had a vinyl copy of The Who Live at Leeds, I always thought it was a great album. Better, is the CD release which has loads of extra tracks.

Ten Years After… they’ve reformed with some young hot guitar-smith. I saw Alvin Lee in Edinburgh a few years back. He was exceptional. John Mayall… saw him with Buddy Whitington 2 years back. He didn’t do a very long show but it was good.

Sarah made me go to see Status Quo last year. I have to say it was a fantastic show and was far better than expected. For a start Francis Rossi is a much better guitarist than you’d believe if you only ever heard the radio singles. Secondly, the part atmosphere in the venue was really unbelievable. Not sure if we’re going this year though.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to GW0DSP:

“As for Led Zepp, who can drive their car with the stereo volume turned down when “Stairway to Heaven” hits the airwaves?”

Well, me, I suppose…but Kashmir, now, that’s a different matter. I’ve actually heard two covers of that recently, not a patch on the original!

As for nicking (to the blazes with PC!) I have been known to lift a few from my sons collection of Prog CDs, he won’t miss them, he’s got about 1,000!

My fault, I played him “Dogs” from Floyd’s “Animals”. His first response was “Wow, that is seriously wierd”. He then bought everything of theirs he could find. Isn’t it nice to pass on a torch, wish I could interest them in radio!

Brian G8ADD

Well, it’s now well and truly hijacked, but could there still be a SOTA theme? Is the commonality in the taste in music because of being “men of a certain age” - although there must be a good 30 year spread in that parameter - or does the structure of the music appeal to the kind of brain that also responds to radio communications, outdoor adventuring and morse code? I suspect so.

My favourite CDs are my Zappa collection (virtually complete - just need ‘Mothermania’), and others including Blood, Sweat & Tears, Chicago, Metallica, Extreme, ZZ Top, Erik Satie and Eric Stijpstein.

Best gigs? Motorhead, Manchester Apollo 1984; Gary Moore & Phil Lynott, Channel 4 studios, London 1985? (supported by Spider); Gloria Estefan & Miani Sound Machine, N.E.C. 1991 (pop yes, but what a great band); Dweezil Zappa & ZPZ, Manchester Apollo 2006; King Pleasure & The Biscuit Boys, Life Cafe Manchester 2000; Eric Stijpstein, Imagine Music Bar, Corralejo, Fuerteventura 2007. I’ve played a lot more gigs than I’ve ever been to as a punter though. The most memorable of these was The Drifters in Leeds, 1993 (very satisfying bass parts to play), and the most tedious was Ken Dodd in Macc, 1987. Great performer, but he goes on and on and on for hours…! The best band I ever played with was probably the “Magic of the Musicals Orchestra” on South Pier, Blackpool in 1993, but that doesn’t sound very hip or cool does it…?

In reply to G7ADF:

Is there a pattern in the above?

Perhaps in the mind of the beholder Ian. This thread has gone crazy in terms of nostalgia! Even brought back memories of a concert in Manchester in 74 with BTO headlining (didn’t see Smashy or Nicey there) - support band Thin Lizzy! Couldn’t hear anything for two days afterwards! At the opposite extreme, I was in the front row at an East of Eden Concert in 71 and fell asleep during the first song (was woken up by the cleaner at 1 a.m.)… maybe that says something!

Shouldn’t this thread (if there is one) be retitled “Confessions of a SOTA operator”?

As for David’s gramophone, I bought two new stylii last year… the mortgage on them will be paid off by 2015.

73, Gerald

In reply to MM0FMF:

My Evanescence CD has been appropriated by one of the kids.

Music is like radio Andy - it can be shared across the generations. Now show some interest and ask for it back!

Heartbreaker, Kashmir and Stairway - bring it on! A great way to get the XYL to go out - she can’t stand LZ!

73, Gerald

P.S., Anyone for a game of Snakes and Arrows while we wait for the winter bonus period?

In reply to MM0FMF:

Sarah made me go to see Status Quo last year.

Looks like we were both at the same concert took my 23 year old son who has been converted to all my prog bands - couldnt have talked too loud would have had to use semiphore!!

Glyn

In reply to G4OIG:

P.S., Anyone for a game of Snakes and Arrows while we wait for the
winter bonus period?

Just to drag the thread back to some sort of relevance back to SOTA, I did run a game of Marilynton Crescent a couple of year back.

Perhaps that could be ressurected to cure those pre-bonus blues.

Ian

In reply to G7ADF:

Just to drag the thread back to some sort of relevance back to SOTA, I
did run a game of Marilynton Crescent a couple of year back.

I thought it might be a board game like Monopoly, but I could only find the following on the old reflector:

"I have to make a trip to Edinburgh in a week or so staying in
Livingstone for a night. Are there any summits between here (Wigan)
and there (Edinburgh) that are a dead easy activation? I would need
to be up down and activated in under an hour due to Jane ( chief
exec) being in the car. Preferably car being within sight. Doesnt
have to be a Scotish summit, one not too far from the M6 may suffice.

Please dont say SP-017 Billinge Hill as I do know about this one :slight_smile:

All thoughts would be welcome.

Ian
G7ADF

All Paths lead to Marilynton Crescent."

Are you suggesting a SOTA sprint? If so, how do I enter from here and retain my uniques record? Black Down SE-003 perhaps, 220miles, 4 hrs drive and less than an hour on the summit. Hmmm, think I’ll stick to doing multiples.

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:

Radioactivity by Kraftwerk.

In reply to G1INK:

Radioactivity by Kraftwerk.

Now there’s a thought - haven’t heard it for years. My friend Brian had a quadraphonic LP version of Autobahn. Amazing, but was it music? Pity Quad didn’t catch on - CD4 / SQ / QS was bound to fail. Too many cooks…

Seem to remember his copy of Tubular Bells was Quad as well.

73, Gerald