Other SOTA sites: SOTAwatch | SOTA Home | Database | Summits | Photos | Shop | Mapping | Sotlas | FAQs | Contact SOTA

Modes?

When we activate this site, we of course plan on CW, and maybe some SSB,

But if conditions are bad etc. in SOTA is there any interest in the FT modes? ft-8 or FT-4?

Joe WB9SBD / W9ET

2 Likes

Activator QSOs by Mode

CW : 3558513
SSB : 2988380
FM : 1445024
Data : 41241
DV : 2800
AM : 2334
Other : 2057
4 Likes

And now here’s the context! Those figures show how many data QSOs made in the last 20 years compared to the other modes. However, it’s only relatively recently that you’ve been able to do many of the most popular modes on a phone. Before then you needed bigger tablets/laptops which added a significant weight penalty.

So yes, data modes are used and there are chasers. But they are still a minority interest both for activators and chasers. You will make QSOs if you activate using FT8.

1 Like

Joe,

I am new to SOTA and did an activation last week just using FT-8. I made 9 contacts in about 30 minutes or so. Was great fun. So there is interest for sure.

dID YOU USE THE LIKE DEFAULT ft-8 FORMAT/EXCHANGE? OR USE LIKE FOR fIELD dAY OR SOME OF THE OTHER CONTSTS?

OOps sorry caplock.

Joe

1 Like

Hello,
Yes, FT8 is perfectly fit for SOTA. It allow reliable, noiseless and effective QSO even with QRP (1-5watt) and a very small antenna on HF and VHF (easily 500km in VHF). So, the equipment is very compact and light (see qrz.com) and you do not bother animals or other hikers on the summit…
And now in 2022, activators and chasers become more numerous.
73 de Bruno, F6HHK

1 Like

I used the defaults except for the “Tx5” message I added a Tx Macro that was TU VE7/CV-028 and sent that manually after a QSO.

I’m definitely going to do it again soon. Was a good experiment.

1 Like

idem. By using the 'Tx5" message manually you can customize your QSO like any QSO and send the SOTA reference !
Use split mode, it’s very useful for pile-up … and valid a QSO only if complete (73 received) …
See you on my screen …

1 Like