Missing Mariusz SP9AMH

I know for a fact that a well known SOTA activator who I know very well continues to activate SOTA summits including uniques, but has not logged his SOTA activations on the SOTA Database for a number of years now and doesn’t ever intend to log them or any future SOTA activations either. This is SOTA’s co-founder Richard @G3CWI .

Jimmy M0HGY

2 Likes

Cool logos ! Are they available in higher resolution?

Yes, that’s the guy I was thinking of.

I wouldn’t say they are high resolution - e.g. the EI one I have saved is 30 KB:

EI

I have 17 icons saved around that size. I think they were created by Steve GW7AAV around 2007. I must have downloaded them from somewhere, so the powers that be might have higher def ones stored somewhere maybe, or someone else who has around a while? If anyone wants one or them or all please let me know. I have:

Plain SOTA (152 Kb), GI, HB0, S5. Ten Year commemorative, SOTA Deutschland, EI, F, G, GD, GM, GW, HB, LX, OE, ON.

73 Phil

4 Likes

Hi Tom
G3RMD is still active as a recent Chaser, as is G4BLH and G4CPA. I don’t think G1INK has packed SOTA in either just yet. F6ENO still supports his excellent software and updates from time to time - ADI2SOTA and Saisie_SOTA.

73 Phil

1 Like

That’s all good to know Phil. I just hadn’t heard of them for a good while - not active on the Reflector, and not in my activator or chaser logs for a long time.

1 Like

from SP :wink:

SOTA_PL_18x18_mm_300dpi

5 Likes

I chased Alain @F6ENO last August 20th while he was activating F/VO-036 on 40m CW.
We have also been in touch through email recently.
Alain will surely be busy with some other things. Sometimes priorities change and we have to readapt our activities. Life is a permanent change.
But SOTA remains in Alain’s mind for sure.

Guru

3 Likes

Yes, Frank G3RMD is still around from time to time. Paul G4MD and I spoke to him in November and I think Paul spoke to him in December. I am in regular contact with Mike G4BLH and he usually goes out portable to support both my SOTA and HEMA activations. I’m in contact with Steve G1INK via Facebook… usually exchanging views relating to real ale. No change there then. :grinning:

As regards the others on Tom’s list, I’m in contact with a few of them… and I could add quite a few more that were regular activators and chasers. Of course personal circumstances change and we are all getting older and it may be necessary to call a halt activating. Which reminds me, didn’t someone some time ago pose the question asking who is the oldest activator? :thinking:

73, Gerald

2 Likes

Interesting question. Who is currently the youngest of our SOTA activators?

Never mind. The main thing is to be SOTA active. No matter if activator or chaser :slightly_smiling_face: :person_climbing: :goat:

73 Marcel DM3FAM

1 Like

I saved mine many time ago :wink: and always use it.
SOTA_LOGO-002

2 Likes

You can still obtaoin these from Steve’s Flickr page at SOTA Logos | Flickr

I just downloaded the GM one and it is 1000 x 1000 and 169kB.

5 Likes

SOTA SP

73, Jarek

1 Like

Not to make a diplomatic incident out of it :slight_smile: but just to point out that the Gold Harp on a Green background is the State Emblem of Ireland and is protected under the 1925 Act of the Paris Convention for the Protection of Industrial Property. The use of the emblem can only be granted by Ministerial Permission. The Trade Marks Act of 1996 confers powers on the Minister to pursue extra territorial legal action against those using the emblem without such permission. So even when we are doodling something up on the computer for a harmless hobby can still land you in hot water :slight_smile:

Dec
ei6fr

But it’s a valid point Declan. Whether an infringement would be sought when it is being used in a positive way is a separate issue. We (the SOTA MT) have had to approach a number of people using our SOTA logo for their commercial gain and ask them to stop.

With computerised searches making it easy to scour the whole web anything is possible. So the rights holders may be able to find infringements quite easily. Just the other day the MT received a DMCA notice that we were infringing the copyright on Ham Radio Deluxe. Apparently by giving away the last free version from 2013 we were destroying the current sales of HRD. I don’t know about you but if the 9 year old free version was such a threat to the new owners’ income from the new paid for version, then the paid for version cannot have been improved much in the 9 years and isn’t worth buying. I did think about contesting it because it was abuse of the DMCA system, but TBH I don’t have enough minutes left on Earth to fight some guy who has been waging a war against people making the free version available for download for the last 5 or so years. Just making sure people know how the HRD owners deal with their fellow hams is good enough. Check out Amateur radio fans drop the ham-mer on HRD's license key 'blacklist' • The Register

Anyway, we do have to be careful what we post as the above example shows. And if you want a copy of the free version of HR Deluxe (though why I don’t know), mail me and I can tell you where it is available. There’s loads of places still offering it but you wont find it with Google. Sorry can’t post a link. My email address is well known, don’t PM on here though.

1 Like

Alain F6ENO, has been active few weeks ago (twin activation with Roger F5LKW), he is fine and keep his program Saisie_Sota update when requested.
Tnx for asking, Gerald

1 Like

Hi all,

I confirm Alain is active even if it is less :wink:

73, Éric

2 Likes

You could flip the harp around, but then you’d have Guiness after you !

Hi Dec, as a former national guide we were always told the State coat of arms is a gold Harp with silver strings on an azure field.
Adapted in flag form isn’t that what is flown over The President’s residence, Áras an Uachtaráin.

73 Victor GI4ONL / EI7KP

Hi Victor,
Unless the azure blue has bleached green!.. this on EI/IE-003Tonelagee

73, John

1 Like