Midsummer Day 2021

Is anyone planning SOTA on Thursday 24th June around the midnight hour?
Weather permitting, could be fun!

There wasn’t exactly a rush to use this occasion for pajama S2S party :frowning: . Still interested? I am not so sure I’d like to get up in the middle of the night as I’m somewhat lazy (as Delaney’s donkey). But if we could induce some friends from the other side of the pond, this could be fun. What time did you have in mind? 00:00 BST? UTC? 00:00 Wladiwostok time (that’s the time I celebrate new year)?

73 de Martin / HB9GVW

Hi Fraser @MM0EFI

We’ll be out that day, subject to the weather holding. We’ll be on a summit near/on Skye (we intend to be on summits every day this week, if we can). I don’t think it’ll be a midnight one, as we did an 02:30 start for Ben Nevis this morning and we’re both a tad tired now ha ha!

We have 2m FM/SSB, 40m SSB and 20m SSB available on this trip.

73, Simon & Nic

1 Like

About when do you expect to be QRV?

73 de Martin / HB9GVW

Thai is an alpine start! Hope it was worth it.

OK, as far as midsummers goes, I’m off work in the afternoon will probably now aim to activate a couple of summits near Glenshee in the afternoon and evening, if you’re out on or near Skye, WX permitting.

Hi Martin,

Timings TBC, as it is subject to weather, which seems very changeable at the moment. This morning was meant to be good (we planned to do GM/WS-039), but in reality it was miserable and not big summit weather.

If the weather is good, we are hoping to do a multi-summit day, so probably active from 0900UTC onwards, but Thursday’s forecast for Skye is looking rubbish as of today…

Will post alerts once we know for sure.
73, Simon

Hi Fraser,

Yes, certainly earlier than normal for us (well, me - Nic is an early riser, as she runs most mornings), but we had the summit to ourselves for a good 15 minutes or so, which was great. No fears of upsetting anyone with our dipole strung across the old ruins up there.

Sadly the weather was duff, so we saw no views, but it was good to get this one completed. There’s still a fair amount of snow up on top, but normal walking boots and a bit of care are all that’s needed.

Walking back down confirmed our early start was worthwhile; the path was packed with people heading up!

Hope to catch you S2S at some point this week or next.
73, Simon & Nic

1 Like

Weather forecast for Switzerland looks rainy on Thursday with possibility of thunderstorms. Don’t count on me :slight_smile:

73 de Martin / HB9GVW