May 3 QRPTTF/SOTA event and rules

In reply to N1EU:

What do your WARC-less numbers looks like (i.e., QRPTTF disallows WARC qso’s)?

12m was the only WARC band used and I made 5 QSOs including 2 S2S with EU before the event began. After it began, 12 QSOs including 6 S2S (including 4 EU S2S). In looking over my log I could have worked several of those stations on regular bands for QRPTTF credit but it was just too confusing to try to keep track of everything in the heat of the battle. It really didn’t matter to me since I was in this event mainly for the S2S points.

I wish we had at least one more similar event each year. Nothing else comes close for SOTA.

I believe the NA SOTA weekend in September was better. I only operated the first day that weekend and made 314 S2S points (all chaser, no activator) versus 200 yesterday (194 chaser + 6 activator…subject to more careful log checking). My impression is that the W7 SOTA event in early August was also better because of the very high average points per activation. I missed that one but will try to do it this year.

If my notes from last year’s QRPTTF are correct, I had 148 points (142 chaser + 6 activator) and I believe the difference was due to more activity from EU.

I’m waiting a few days for Paul to clarify the scoring system before submitting a score. If everyone used the same scoring spreadsheet it probably wouldn’t matter but if its calculation is contrary to the written instructions, then the results could be inconsistent.

73, Bill

In reply to W4ZV:

When is the NA SOTA weekend this year?

In reply to VA2SG:

When is the NA SOTA weekend this year?

I don’t believe it’s been definitely been set but the last I saw September 13/14 was being proposed (to coincide with some VHF contest). Check the Yahoo Groups nasota list to be sure. I also don’t know the W7 SOTA weekend date but that one is definitely worth tracking.

73, Bill

In reply to W4ZV:

Hi Bill, that is an impressive log!

Funny enough, I was at G/CE-003 today at around 14:00z, I could hear plenty of US stations (some contest), but they could not hear me!!! Same set up as yesterday 20m EFHW on a 10m pole slightly slopping to the west.

I might try my 66" doublet next time and bite the bullet and get a rig to be able to work the higher bands…

73s de Angel M0HDF

In reply to N1EU:

Barry I checked the rules:

1. There’s no allowance for mixed mode, cw and ssb

There never has been a mixed mode. Check last year’s results and you’ll see CW only, SSB only and no Mixed.

1. It calculates total score by adding the per band score. It should calculate total store by adding qso’s and SPC/SOTA for all bands and then multiplying them together and multiplying result by the “multiplier” (3 for SOTA stations).

The rules state:

“Scoring:
Per band: Number of QSOs per band TIMES the number of SPCs and SOTA summits worked
For clarity: if you work a SOTA station in UT, it counts as a UT SPC + a SOTA station.
QSO points: ADD scores for each band for QSO points
Total Score: QSO points TIMES Multiplier
Multipliers: x1 home station
x2 QRPTTF “Field” station
x3 QRPTTF “Fiesta” station or SOTA station”

N.B. above: “QSO points: ADD scores for each band for QSO points” (my edit - where “QSO points” means QSOs times SPC/SOTA as defined in the first line). The “multiplier” mentioned near the end is the total score multiplier…not the SPC/SOTA multiplier per band. Therefore I believe Paul’s spreadsheet is correct as the rules are written so there should be no inconsistency if someone does it manually. I don’t recall how it was done last year but at least the spreadsheet and text are consistent this year. I agree that total QSOs times total SPC/SOTA multipliers would be a more normal way of calculating the score (before the location mult) but it may be too late to change for this year. As long as everyone follows the rules consistently I don’t think there’s a problem.

73, Bill

In reply to W4ZV:

Thanks for clearing up much of my confusion Bill!

73, Barry N1EU

In reply to VA2SG:

The Rocky Mountain SOTA Rendezvous is scheduled for 2-3 August this year. Last year the W7 SOTA weekend was scheduled at the same time so I’m assuming this will happen again this year. Last year there was over 500 points available over the weekend with most activity on Saturday. This is definitely one to put on your calendar if you liked the QRPTTF and NASOTA Weekend events.

Flight of the Bumbleebees (FOBB) the last Sunday in July from 17-21z is another event with decent activity but not so much as QRPTTF, NASOTA Weekend or the W7/W0 Weekend.

I don’t know if the VE2SOTA Megactivation has been scheduled yet. Could it could be scheduled for August 2-3 to coincide with the W7/W0 weekend?

73, Bill

In reply to W4ZV:

Why not set a date in stone one for all for the NA event? This would make things easier for everybody.

You need to know the VE2 event is not only a simultaneous activation event but a gathering, we meet in a specific area and activate summits in this specific area. As the province is vast, the only time possible is around summer holidays and its much more difficult to setup.

Last time I heard about it, we were going for the last weekend of august.

Of course this doesnt mean I or other activators here won’t be there in mid september. We’ll try to be QRV as well.

In reply to VA2SG:

Why not set a date in stone one for all for the NA event?

Weather. Early August is good for the Western areas but too hot and humid for the South. September is good for the South and Midwest but runs the risk of snow/cold at higher elevations in the West. I don’t believe you can pick one date that is best for everyone. I will DEFINITELY still try for the early August W7/W0 event even if it’s hot and humid here…just as you will try for mid-September.

OK about the Megactivation…I understand this is much more than an activation time.

73, Bill

In reply to W4ZV:
Very fine Bill, I understand the WX thing.

Still, we’ll try to be QRV for NA SOTA, (whathever the date) of course…

In reply to VA2SG:

In reply to W4ZV:
Very fine Bill, I understand the WX thing.

Still, we’ll try to be QRV for NA SOTA, (whathever the date) of
course…

NA SOTA will be Sept 13-14

73, Barry N1EU

In reply to N1EU:

OK Barry, dates are noted.

In reply to all:

I nearly missed the event, as I was preaching next day and needed lots of prep time for that, but on my wife’s suggestion got out the door, and went for a new summit (for me).

With a poor random wire aerial (my main SOTA aerial is a WARC-only link dipole) I listened from GW/NW-054 on 21 hoping for USA.QRPTTF stations, but only managed W4ZV. Thanks Bill. I could hear bits from others but they couldn’t get me. So on to 14MHz, for another elelven round Europe.

Thanks to all the organisers, this was so much fun, a great way to centre down before a busy Sunday. Will next year have better condx? Grab it while you can, the sun seems to be on the downward slope now, though who knows?

Again Thanks to all,
Les g0nmd