May 3 QRPTTF/SOTA event and rules

In reply to NA5N:

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the off-reflector clarification that the SPC code is not needed as part of the exchange for SOTA stations where the SOTA code gives the location country. (i.e. SPC to be used by US SOTA stations mainly).

I intend to be active from DL/BG-023 on Saturday from 1300 UTC and hour after the start of the QRPTTF event. Hope to work into the US but not sure if that will be possible at that time of day - we’ll see.

73 Ed DD5LP.

HF conditions seem quite depressed. Let’s hope they pick up before Saturday!

73, Barry N1EU

In reply to N1EU:

Not good at the moment:

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/rt_plots/kp_3d.html

Conditions were poor last year too.

Fingers crossed.

73 Richard G3CWI

Yes Richard, I forgot that condx weren’t that great last year. I suspect that EU-NA propagation (as well as E-W NA propagation) is going to be better later in the day (after 1800Z) rather than earlier (1200-1400Z), but I know that’s too late for EU activators.

73, Barry N1EU

In reply to G3CWI:

In reply to N1EU:

Not good at the moment:

Indeed, they’re quite dreadful…

However, working with the A-99 yesterday, I managed 50 contacts on HF from GW/NW-070 Great Orme, 24 of them on 12m, ten of which were North America.

Just goes to show what can be achieved with a decent antenna.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

And that was at 1700Z, later in the day, with a little bit of power as well, eh Mike? :wink:

In reply to N1EU:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

And that was at 1700Z, later in the day, with a little bit of power as
well, eh Mike? :wink:

If you can hear 'em, you can work 'em :wink:

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

I’m looking forward to seeing how well you do in QRPTTF Mike. You may be able to hear them - but will you be able to work them?

73 Richard G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

I’m looking forward to seeing how well you do in QRPTTF Mike. You may
be able to hear them - but will you be able to work them?

Purely academic as I’ll be at the Dambusters Rally all weekend, therefore, no SOTA for me.

Anyhow, I’ve logged more than my fair share DX and DXCC’s over the last couple of months, so the QRPTTF should give you a chance to do some catching up.

BTW, here’s a link that will be a big help with your QRPTTF endeavors

http://tinyurl.com/pkzcwvo

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Thanks for the link Mike. I will pass on this occasion!

The description is lovely. It changes from a half-wave over a quarter-wave to a 5/8ths over a quarter-wave in the next paragraph. The manual says it is 5.3m long which is about a half-wave at 27MHz.

:slight_smile:

73 Richard G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Thanks for the link Mike. I will pass on this occasion!

The description is lovely.

So is the DX.

It don’t get much better than 260 VK chasers in eight weeks, especially as they were all ssb, 28 of them s2s.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

Good stuff Mickey. I have been working plenty of VKs in recent weeks too, also including S2S contacts. All modes as well - CW, SSB and even PSK31. With an FT-817 running 5 watts into a very lightweight and cheap antenna made out of 4 quarterwave pieces of thin coated wire.

You do well, but I suspect it is your operating skills and tenacity to do long activations that are the major contributors. The QRO from the 857 will help as well of course.

I think you are giving the antenna far too much credit for your achievements. With your resilience and activating style, you would achieve much the same with the very cheap and very light homemade antenna that I use.

Tom M1EYP

I will try to go up to one of the G summits - it could be the local Walton Hill or a different one if travelling for the bank holiday weekend.

Looking forward to my first QRPTTF. I hope 20m is open to the States. I have not had that much DX on 20m so far.

73s de Angel M0HDF

In reply to M0HDF:

15m may also be open late in the day so give it a try if you have capability there. Unfortunately 17m is “off limits” for the QRPTTF or it would also be a good possibility. 20m should definitely be the best band and should be open near the 1200 UTC start of the event. Here’s a propagation forecast for W4 to G assuming current solar activity levels:

http://www.voacap.com/predictions/53636df7df97e/

73 & Good Luck!

Bill W4ZV

In reply to W4ZV:

Considering what I’ve been hearing the last few mornings, I think it’s going to be tough making qrp-qrp transatlantic. Today is definitely sounding a bit better than past few days so we may get lucky. If 20M isn’t open, I will go to 17m looking for EU S2S because I think that will be the best band, despite no QRPTTF credit.

73, Barry N1EU

In reply to N1EU:

I hope to be QRV on 20/17 & 12m during the early afternoon, say 1230z to 1630z. I’ll also be QRV 23/70cms at sometime as well.

Andy
MM0FMF

For my SOTA (not QRPTTF) on 17m I will be going to 30-50W to see if I can get into EU. VOACAP says 17m will be the best chance from Southern California around 1600Z. Taking the IC706 and 20AH Li battery up on the mountain bike this time.

Hal
N6JZT

Hi all:

I finished preparing and testing a 21 MHZ vertical moxon (2 elements) to try pointing from the mountain. My first Sota with a Beam on HF, hi hi!
Anyway,I’ll carry along some more wires for 14 and 18 MHz just in case…

Planned to be on air at around 14-15 UTC.
Keep an eye on the Sotawatch. VY 73
Ignacio EA2BD

For my SOTA (not QRPTTF) on 17m I will be going to 30-50W to see if I can get into EU. VOACAP says 17m will be the best chance from Southern California around 1600Z. Taking the IC706 and 20AH Li battery up on the mountain bike this time.

Hal
N6JZT

In reply to W4ZV:

Thanks Bill. 20m is the highest available at the moment. I will be using my HB1B and efhw with the 10m pole. We will be travelling to the South coast tomorrow, I have yet to choose a summit on route.

73s de Angel M0HDF