Matterhorn HB/VS-006

Hello Martin,

Yes, we briefed our guides before, and they were quite interested in what we were doing. Some other people on the summit stopped to see what was going on as well, but we were so absorbed in trying to get a few contacts in the few minutes that we had that we barely noticed them – and we even forgot to take a picture of us with the radio! :grimacing:

I think I’ll pass on the overnight 4000+ stay :see_no_evil:

73, Manuel HB9DQM

4 Likes

Congrats on the achievement. I’m hoping to bag this one day as a finisher to the Walkers Haute Route sometime in the future!

3 Likes

We even have a 30m replica in Disneyland California.

It’s a lot easier to get up!!

3 Likes

And each and every one of you can have your own replica to enjoy:
Toblerone

19 Likes

[quote=“HB9DST, post:24, topic:20652”]
And each and every one of you can have your own replica to enjoy:
Toblerone
[/quote] and its cheaper than visiting Disneyland which is about a quizzilion dollars to get in nowadays

1 Like

On Saturday I also stood on top of Matterhorn. My partner and me up- and down climbed the mountain also via the Hörnli Ridge. Conditions were not so easy as there was some fresh snow resulting from the bad weather on friday and we had to climb nearly the whole ridge with crampons. It is really a long climb in not so easy terrain but we did a good job and got up and down safely without putting us or others into danger.
I have to say that I did not really like the climb via the Hörnli ridge. It is a never ending tortuous maneuvering in precarious terrain without a lot of climbing fun. For me Matterhorn is one of the mountains I do not have to climb a second time.

On top I called CQ on 2m and was very happy to have a short QSO with @HB9NBG and @HB9FZC who were on tour for a SOTA activation. Thanks a lot Carine and René for this nice surprise!

I called CQ some more times but without any success. Matterhorn does not seem to be a very good VHF mountain as there are so many high mountains around which block off the populated areas where all the chasers sit :slight_smile:

Anyhow, it was a cool thing to climb and to stand on top of Matterhorn! My partner made a short video on top which I want to share:
Link to video

73 de Martin - DF6MH

8 Likes

Hallo Martin
Noch einmal herzliche Gratulation zum Matterhorn! Carine und ich waren gerade im Schlussaufstieg zum Ochsen, HB/BE-114, als wir Dich rufen gehört hatten “CQ vom Matterhorn…” - wir hatten zuerst unseren Ohren nicht getraut :grinning::grinning: Vielen Dank jedenfalls fürs QSO - schade, dass Dir sonst niemand geantwortet hat :roll_eyes::face_with_raised_eyebrow: Wir hatten Dich noch einmal gerufen 10min später, als wir oben angekommen waren, aber da warst Du verständlicherweise wohl schon wieder auf dem Abstieg… Wir waren übrigens zwischen dem 8.Juli und gestern insgesamt 21 Tage auf SOTA-Tour, und ich habe soeben einen detaillierten Bericht mit grosser Fotoslideshow auf unsere Homepage veröffentlicht: https://www.lutz-electronics.ch/news/grossartige-sota-sommeraktivitaeten-2019/ .

Carine und ich haben schon 2 QSL-Karten für unsere QSO’s ausgefüllt und wollten sie per Post an Dich senden, aber wir finden leider keine Postadresse :roll_eyes: Schick uns doch bitte eine kurze Mail mit Deiner Adresse, dann können wir die QSL-Karten abschicken…

vy 73 de René, HB9NBG + 73/88 de Carine, HB9FZC

Hallo Carine, hallo René,

nochmal herzlichen Dank für die Glückwünsche! Ja, wir sind etwa 10 min nach unserem QSO abgestiegen. So lange bleibt man dann meistens doch nicht auf einem 4000er. Der Wind hat auch ganz schön geblasen.

Ich habe mir gerade euren Urlaubsbericht und die Fotos angesehen. Sehr schöne Bilder und eine wirklich sportliche Leistung, Respekt!

Ich meld mich mal per mail bei dir!

vy 73 de Martin - DF6MH

Hi Martin,
just in case this was not in intended: It seems that your valid activation is not yet in the SOTA database:

Sotadata3

As far as I understand, even one QSO would qualify (just not for the points, but for the 3rd ever activation). Kudos, btw!

73 de Martin, DK3IT

Hi Manuel and Matt,

Well done guys.

Actually seeing your climb maybe I should ditch all my logged points as being far too soft. Negligible comparative achievement.

Nothing as high here in VK, only ZL has a couple of contenders and in Eastern Indonesia.

Ron
VK3AFW

2 Likes