Massive SOTA Event: The SoCal SOTAFest and Colorado 14ers - Aug 1 & 2

QST QST!

On Saturday and Sunday August 1 & 2, SoCal SOTA and the Colorado 14ers will be coordinating two massive Summit to Summit (S2S) events here in the southwest U.S. (California and Colorado). The SoCal SOTAFest is a SOTA activation event here in Southern California and, likewise, the Colorado 14ers will be activating some of the highest peaks in the Rocky Mountains. For activators in California and Colorado this is a great opportunity to grab your radio and rack up the S2S points. For chasers everywhere, this will be a points bonanza, with multiple activators on various summits throughout the weekend. You don’t need to live in Southern California or Colorado to participate, and this event is open to all.

The SoCal SOTA group is open to the public and can be found at https://groups.io/g/socalsota. There are no membership dues and no commitments. Everyone is free to join the group, irrespective of interests or location. We hold regular Zoom meetings twice per month during the evenings, Pacific Time.

73/72,
Mike (KN6EZE)

5 Likes

I’m looking forward to this event especially as one of the highlights of last years G/LD event was the high number of VHF+ S2S contacts.

I’ll be perched on Islip (W6/CT-010) which is a peak on the LA side of the San Gabriels with reasonably good reach into other local peak.

Not sure what gear I’ll take but here are a couple of snaps of operating in the same mountain range for the ARRL VHF June contest. Despite being a dyed in the wool Elecraft guy, I used the 857D which for voice guy doing either SSB or FM, has a ton of pluses if you can get beyond the weight of it, batteries etc.

3 Likes