Marathon on SP-004 Shining Tor Quick Report

In reply to G4OIG:

“oh for the chance of a local summit to carry out an evening activation”

Hmmm if we had P100, Arbury Hill near Daventry would make a nice evening out.

In reply to G1INK:

In reply to G4OIG:

“oh for the chance of a local summit to carry out an evening
activation”

Hmmm if we had P100, Arbury Hill near Daventry would make a nice
evening out.

/Eric Morecambe mode on

Can you say P100 on the BBC?

/Eric Morecambe mode off

Roger G4OWG

In reply to G1INK and G4OWG:

Hmmm if we had P100, Arbury Hill near Daventry would make a nice evening out.

Still researching that one. Apparently going up one way you are likely to get a 12 bore pointed at you… thank goodness the adjacent land owner is friendly, but which is which? Arghhhh!!! I need to find someone who has been up there and survived!

/Eric Morecambe mode on

Can you say P100 on the BBC?

/Eric Morecambe mode off

Well if you can’t, then several countries participating in SOTA shouldn’t be participating.

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G1INK:
I was thinking the same thing Steve and Gerald!

High Vinnals is a lovely summit, but unfortunately I visited it on the 2nd of Jan this year! Hi!

Having said that its neighbour Bringewood (P100) is equally as nice. I thought sod the points and went up it anyway! 40m at the time was superb for NVIS on my day of activating, however HF has been awful recently.

Gerald, time to unleash the Class B call I think, re-activate some old hills, or take my approcah to P100 and go up them anyway, regardless of points gained etc. I just advertised on Summitsbase and it seemed to work well with regular SOTA chasers trying to find me! I think Tony (Formally 2E0LAE) is taking the same approach (Not sure of his new call).

Oh dear I have mentioned P100 again, Brian will be a nervous wreck if this carries on. Just a note I in no way do I want to start a discussion about P100 - It has been discussed to death on here and is boring!

Finally just a quick comment on BNC/259 - With the 817 you have the option of both, however as I keep my 817 in its leather bag, it makes more sense to use BNC so that the rig does not have to be taken in and out all the time. I presume the smart answer from 259 users will be to make up a fly lead! Each to there own i suppose.

73 for now

Matt G8XYJ

In reply to G8XYJ:

In reply to G1INK:

High Vinnals is a lovely summit, but unfortunately I visited it on the
2nd of Jan this year! Hi!

I remember it well, Matt. G1STQ and myself were on G/SP-001 Kinder Scout and I had a S2S with you. It was bitterly cold that day, however, it hadn’t put many people off…Kinder Scout was like Piccadilly Circus! It was on that summit that I finally came to terms with just how totally unfit I was, when a woman whom I could only describe as well into her seventies, went flying past me at an almost obscene pace on one of the steeper parts, with the comment “lovely day” :frowning:

Mike 2E0YYY

In reply to G8XYJ:

Having said that its neighbour Bringewood (P100) is equally as nice.

Yes, equally pleasant it may be, but it’s still a fair way away from the flatlands where I live. There’s not many P100’s around here - maybe the most accessible is Whatborough Hill in Leicestershire, but it’s a bit of a dog-walkers alley so I’ll only go there once. :frowning:

Gerald, time to unleash the Class B call I think

Well it was on air two days ago on 70cms from a local ripple here in Northamptonshire. The first airing on that particular band for 29 years! The problem is that reactivating summits using it is all well and good, but all SOTA summits are some way from here and every mile travelled on such ventures potentially takes funds away from the main focus. At this point in time I’d rather spend my money on fuelling the car for more of those mad kip-in-the-car GM/SS outings! :slight_smile:

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G8XYJ:

Just for the record, any (very unlikely) change to P100 for G would have to be initiated by the AM, who would have to demonstrate to the MT that the G Association is not viable at P150. I say such a change is unlikely because in the first instance the Association is demonstrably viable, and in the second instance the AM is strongly against it!

I’m a bit curious, Matt, my leather carry case for the 817 has a cut-out for the 239 socket, hasn’t yours? Admittedly the space between the back of the rig and the back of the case makes it a bit awkward screwing in the 259…and impossible to plug in the charger through the provided aperture! I am always nervous about using the BNC socket as it wobbles a bit and there have been reports by other people of it breaking away.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to MM0FMF:
Hi Andy,

Enlightenment ??? Sounds like you’ve been to the Samye Ling !!

Rob

In reply to G8ADD:

Hi Brian

Yes more chance of me using PLs then P100 ever being considered (by present AM) HI! - Yes my 817 has the customary hole cut in the back, however like you say it is a sod to use, plus it does not help when I coil up the DC lead and stick all the excess in the back of the leather pouch.

Hi Gerald

I agree with you on the saving of Diesel - My current job and combination of cricket away matches is slowly eating my funds HI! Hence my lack of SOTA. However the WX plays a big part, I prefer Winter walking and Winter operating then summer! Midges, flies, dust and more people in the summer so Winter gets my vote each time!

I wonder what you use for 70cm when /p (SOTA or Non SOTA) I really want to make a big effort on that band in 2012.

Hi Mike

Yes I do recall our 2m FM QSO! I was out with Geoff and Dave for VHF fun day! that seems along time ago now, this year seems to be flying! Get on the 23cm band wagon Mike, so many users in IO83!!!

73 all

Matt G8XYJ

In reply to G8XYJ:

In reply to G8ADD:

Yes I do recall our 2m FM QSO! I was out with Geoff and Dave for VHF
fun day! that seems along time ago now, this year seems to be flying!
Get on the 23cm band wagon Mike, so many users in IO83!!!

So many bands, so few rigs :frowning:

I’m just wondering, how long before the Chinese enter the 23cm market. I suspect the big 3 are already licking their wounds in the H/H market and not before time IMHO.

Mike 2E0YYY

In reply to G8XYJ:

I wonder what you use for 70cm when /p (SOTA or Non SOTA) I really
want to make a big effort on that band in 2012.

Generally I use the 857 set at around 18W and the dual band beam which has 8 elements on 70cms. Band changing from 2m is therefore devoid of a scramble to cable up linears and / or antennas.

I do use outboard linears with the 817 which is more of a hassle, though obviously not an issue if I’m just running 70cms and Paul takes the 2m session. I then get away with just taking the 6 element DL6WU (400g), though the weight of the dual bander is little more (460g). I’ve also got an 11el DL6WU (650g) for non-SOTA work. One day I’ll build myself a lightweight high gain antenna for the band… one day!

73, Gerald G4OIG