LoRa APRS Tracker (Part 6)

Hi James,

yes I have a Heltec tracker built by @g3cwi I use that for Hill walking and pedestrian mobile. the T-Beam has been permanently installed in the Car for Mobile.

Both work well !

2 Likes

Yes Tony, exact same configuration here. I think the orientation of the antenna mount on the T-Beam is a bit poor, although I know you can buy them without the SMA mount attached and with an IPEX connecter instead.

2 Likes

I hope to have a temporary test system operating tomorrow on Great Dun Fell 700m+amsl. That should cover a huge area to the east of The Lakes.

7 Likes

My igate heard you in Kilcreggan on your activation today :smile:

5 Likes

100% of hikers wouldn’t take it as it’s extra weight. 99% NPCs wouldn’t either because of a combination of societal and “it might have poo on it” concerns.

The people you really have to watch are all on this thread. The bigger the better IMO as itd make it look official. I was going to ask if you had land here. But these last few posts answered that.

It’s crossed my mind to do something similar after messing about with Meshtastic on Yr Wyddfa et.al I easily was hearing way down the coast into the 100s of Kms. I donated all my 433mhz lora boards to a local guy kinda regretting it now. I’ve been messing about with Meshtastic as a “last mile” geo and msg system for use with kids. Combined with ATAK for android it’s links nicely with my GIS and spatial mapping interests.

I’d wager if you had a compound fence for a reservoir or similar it’d never get touched. Or even better a cell site! :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Especially a shared site, then Vodafone will assume the kit is EE’s and vice versa.

3 Likes

The temporary digi has now been deployed at Great Dun Fell. It’s not an ideal installation but it will have to do for the time being. Is anyone going out with LoRa trackers on Saturday or Sunday? Lakes, North Pennines, South West Scotland? I will take the digi down again on Sunday afternoon.

4 Likes

I am heading to Scammoden Hillclimb just off the M62, I can pack the LoRa tracker.

2 Likes

Yes please!

2 Likes

ok, and I might even see if can connect it to the external antenna body mount I have

2 Likes

I’m off to Norfolk this evening, and hoping to have my LoRa tracker installed in the truck the best I can.

2 Likes

At least you’ll know exactly where he is if you want them back :rofl:

4 Likes

What antenna is this?

1 Like
3 Likes

Thank you

1 Like

Antennas for LoRa https://sotaloraaprs.miraheze.org/wiki/Antennas

3 Likes

Whoops! Sorry for not noticing that Steven! Nice to see plenty of coverage over on the west coast. It’s a LoRa desert between Glasgow and Aberdeen though…

2 Likes

Impressive!

5 Likes

Love the “Copper Oscillators” - who writes their advertising blurb :rofl:

1 Like

Akin to the famous Russian order for “water sheep” :wink:

1 Like