LoRa APRS Tracker (Part 6)

I was out with my Tracker and mobile igate today. I missed some messages for Roger MW0IDX (but they arrived). I was also testing a mobile antenna. I tested it on a route that I drive regularly. The new simple 1/4 wave antenna on a mag mount outperformed my usual, much longer, dual-band “gain” antenna. Not really surprising.

I have mentioned before that many of the dual band antennas work poorly on 70cm. They may give a reasonable SWR, but any “gain” and radiation is not focussed towards the horizon.

5 Likes

Yes gated you once when you were just below Shining Tor. Nice.

2 Likes

My hil based digipeater project is moving along. Digipeater (for siting atop a hill) and igate (to capture digipeated packets and route onto internet) now constructed and under test.

Hoping to get the combination fully live, using a relatively easy to access hill, later in the week.

The custom pcb is courtesy of m0jks

8 Likes

Looks great. Which solar panel have you selected?

1 Like

I am using an ecoworthy 10W panel. Seems to work well.

Currently designing my own pcb to take the heltec boards and add a few other bits and pieces. Using EasyEDA

ECO-WORTHY 10Watts Solar Panel Module for 18 Volts Battery Charger for Camp and off-grid Ligthing Applications L02P10-N-1 https://amzn.eu/d/0bJ204Z6

4 Likes

Glad my test message arrived, took my tracker with me up Moel Gyw this afternoon, will have to check later to see how it performed. BBQ first :smile:

2 Likes

Dave has done a great job with these - they are really great. I’m building mine up here, initially to test in digipeater mode on various hill locations for Raynet activities locally.

3 Likes

Have these PCB designs been shared? I looked on his github. Or did you message Dave directly? They look like great builds!

2 Likes

Hi Alex, best to message Dave direct.

2 Likes

Wes Cumbria digipeater now in position…will move to higher ground at some point, but currently sitting at 300m

5 Likes

A 70cms antenna mounted on the ground should be good for 0.56km range. :wink:

3 Likes

It seems to be doing a bit better than expected.

3 Likes

Ah the well known expression “The difference between theory and practice in practice is different to the difference between theory and practice in theory” is working!

Reflections, diffractions and things above the local horizon being the main effects.

EDIT: It would be interesting to see the effects of ground reflections and the constructive and destructive interference on such a low mounted an antenna. Does the frequency alter the amount of reflection/absorption of ground?

3 Likes

I can’t help thinking that a few feet off the ground would make a significant difference in performance but it’s better than nothing! Thanks to M0MZB for installing it.

3 Likes

A few wavelengths would help. I’ve seen the effect of leaving a 2m handy stood on the ground on activations not hearing any other activators. Pick it up and stand up and there are people talking!

It’s good that there’s traction with this and there are more units being deployed. Noticeably quiet up here… but my club will be looking at installing something with a few remote sites for consideration.

3 Likes

Am following with interest as the nearby hill would give good take off to G/TW and some G/NP hills. Just need a chat to the gamekeeper and to start building ……

4 Likes

My priority is to keep it inconspicuous…the ground falls away quite steeply adjacent to the location. However, it’s fairly open moorland so I don’t want to put the antenna on a pole.

4 Likes

I wrote my phone number, along with some other stuff that makes it seem like some sort of “environmental monitor”, on the outside of my guerrilla igate. I then cable-tie it (with very thick ties) to existing fence posts and similar. It has been in full view in a number of locations without problems. It will be deployed again next week.

I also tend to deploy it in places where the likely ownership is ambiguous - and not being concealed will hopefully lead people to think it should be there.

3 Likes

Your licence requires you to put your licence number on any unattended transmitter not at the main station address.

2 Likes

Naturally I have inscribed it in runic script on the outside and in Klingon script on the inside so that’s all bases covered.

5 Likes