LoRa APRS Tracker (Part 3)

Dave M0JKS’s posts are are pretty good starting place. I’ve decided to go with Ricardo Guzman’s two repos, where he has explained quite a lot and gives boards that are compatible with his code (scroll down to the readme where all his links and explanations are):

Tracker: GitHub - richonguzman/LoRa_APRS_Tracker: LoRa APRS Tracker with Tx and Rx capabilities, Messages, Wx, Winlink and more...
iGate: GitHub - richonguzman/LoRa_APRS_iGate: LoRa APRS iGATE for ESP32 Based Board with Rx + Tx capabilities

I’m trying the tracker first, specifically this board: 39.62€ 30% OFF|LILYGO® Meshtastic T Beam esp32 Modul Lora Development Board Unterstützung WiFi Bluetooth GPS Batterie oled Lorawan 433/868/915MHz|Ersatzteile & Zubehör| - AliExpress. This board has a slot on the rear to hold a standard 18650 cell. It’s arriving this week, so I’ll be reporting back once I’ve (hopefully) got it up and running. I do agree though that the myriad of boards is quite bewildering…

EDIT: on the power supply front: most boards seem to accept USB power input as well.

5 Likes

As I posted earlier, having played around with a lot of different LoRA boards over the last few years, I’m really impressed with the Heltec LoRa tracker board

Remember to buy the EU433 version

The case comes from here:

Use Richard’s Tracker GitHub repository:

Please feel free to DM me if you need to discuss.

Dave

5 Likes

Can this same board be used for the iGate?

1 Like

I haven’t checked if Richard has updated his iGate repository to support it. To be be honest you really don’t need a LoRA board with GPS/GLONASA as the location of a iGate or digirepeater is static - so you can specify the latitude and longitude thought he web interface or JSON config file. For a iGate/digirepeater I would go for the Heltec LoRA wireless V3.

Dave

6 Likes

The photo of the Heltec tracker board on aliexpress shows it with pin headers fitted but the photo on one of your earlier posts of it in the case seems not to have headers fitted. So I’m worried the board and case might not fit together.

Do I buy the case without an antenna? They all seem to be for 868MHz. I assume the antenna supplied with the board fits the case.

1 Like

You just need to buy the case and the Li-Ion battery. The Heltec Tracker board comes with some 2.54mm DIL pin-headers, a 1.0mm JST connector and a 433MHz antenna in the box. The pin headers are NOT fitted. Here’s a picture of mine deconstructed so you can see all the parts:

When the parts arrive you wil need to solder the other end of the JST 1.0mm connector (the bare wire end) to the BL-5C battery connector:

This comes with the case.
Dave

3 Likes

Brilliant, thanks. Just need to find the right v3 board for the igate.

1 Like

Two for £24 at the moment - Heltec V3 Wifi

2PCS Neue V3 Version 433MHZ/868MHz-915MHz SX1276/SX1278 ESP32 LoRa OLED WIFI lora Kit 32 V2 Entwicklung Board für Arduino?
spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.130.3afd1802WderRZ

Remember to select the 433MHz version → “433-510Glue stick”

Dave

2 Likes

Can the Heltec tracker be used as an iGate? It’s a lot cheaper than the v3 board.

1 Like

It appears it can, but I have not personally tried this - see below.

Screenshot_2024-06-17_14-10-11

In the link I posted above you get two Heltec V3 boards for £24. £12 each is very cheap. The Heltec Tracker is £17 as I recall.

Dave

4 Likes

The tracker was only about £7 or so when I looked. The price seems to vary a lot.

3 Likes

Yes Aliexpress is like that.

2 Likes

The £7.77 for the tracker was a promotional price. It would only let me order one and the price is back up to £17. So I’ve also ordered the V3 board for the iGate.

Thanks for all your help.
73 Richard

4 Likes

:+1:

2 Likes

Sounds like a bargain. Good to have you joining us soon.

2 Likes

If you see them at £7.77 again, let me know.

Dave

1 Like

If you look at aliexpress from an incognito window they are £7.77 but whether you can order one once you log in I don’t know.

1 Like

Great tip Richard…bang on right…

Dave

2 Likes

But can you actually order one? If you use an existing login, email or delivery address? Or is it not that clever? There’s a challenge for you.

1 Like

sadly it appears not … it reverts to full price when I just tried it

2 Likes