Long Mynd G/WB-005 Quick Report,,,

Nipped up to Long Mynd G/WB-005 this morning hoping to find a bit of VHF tropo. Decided to use the white stick which has performed brilliantly over the past two weeks.

Not too much DX about though. Managed to find Don G0RQL in Devon, another station near Carlisle whose call escapes me and a rather surprised M6EPW and M0XSD up in Frizington West Cumbria who I don’t think has ever heard the Welsh Borders, let alone worked them on FM. This was the story with about four other stations.

However, after two 2m activations, I’m still not convinced about the take-off from this summit, which I would describe as at best, mediocre. I’d be interested if anyone else has any views on this one.

The plan was to knock off 200 contacts today, however, on submitting my log, it seems I failed, falling four short with 196. Must learn to count :frowning:

Finished up with 15 S2S including a Wainwright and a HuMP.

Done the 20Ah SLAB and probably half of the 10Ah SLAB

Thanks to all the chasers for their patience. Thanks also for keeping me spotted.

Nice days radio.

73 all
Mike 2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Hi Mike,

You seem to pop up everywhere, I’d love to get up on the hills as often as you do. May be we can try 70cm when you’re up on SP004 this week. Trial my old lady, a Trio TR3200 but Xtal controlled so limited frequency choice.

David de G6HZJ

In reply to G6HZJ:

Ok Dave, no problem. Give me a call and we can give it a try.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Thanks for the effort, great to make a 2 ay UHF Xtal contact!

In reply to G6HZJ:

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Thanks for the effort, great to make a 2 ay UHF Xtal contact!

Well, my FT-857 was as deaf as a post on 70cm and now all of a sudden it’s working perfectly!!! So, I’m really pleased we made the contact.

I’m going to try and do some activating on 70cm. It’s such a shame this band is so under used. It’ll be interesting to see what sort of DX can be found using the white stick. Trying to work Phill G4OBK in Pickering, on what I suspect is his favorite band, from G/SP-004 would be a great test.

Best 73
Mike 2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Try a 70cm evening activation on Tuesday 10th April (UKAC) Mike. 60 to 80 contacts in 2.5 hours, with QSOs from Northern France to Central Scotland, is typical for me just using a 5 watt station.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Try a 70cm evening activation on Tuesday 10th April (UKAC) Mike. 60
to 80 contacts in 2.5 hours, with QSOs from Northern France to Central
Scotland, is typical for me just using a 5 watt station.

No interest in turning a beam, Tom. 'Fraid the white stick has made me lazy :wink:

May be worth a trip to a high spot on the contest night and see what I can find on the FM portion of the band.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

However, after two 2m activations, I’m still not convinced about the
take-off from this summit, which I would describe as at best,
mediocre. I’d be interested if anyone else has any views on this one.

Hi Mike

Outside of SOTA Long Mynd has not been popular locally as a VHF site - far better results from Brown Clee, Stiperstones, Corndon, and Long Mountain (though the AZ on Long Mountain is not the best location up there).
I suspect that it is because of the flat top; pointy summits seem better. (That is a technical term :o)

Adrian

In reply to G4AZS:

Didn’t we discuss antenna height and ground shape in another thread? It’s obvious from that why Long Mynd is not brilliant with low antenna height.

There’s no ascent at all on Long Mynd so perhaps we can get Mike to donkey up 60ft of poles and see what the effect is.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

There’s no ascent at all on Long Mynd so perhaps we can get Mike to
donkey up 60ft of poles and see what the effect is.

I thought it was called Pole Bank in honour of Mike’s exploits :o)

In reply to G4AZS:

In reply to MM0FMF:

There’s no ascent at all on Long Mynd so perhaps we can get Mike
to
donkey up 60ft of poles and see what the effect is.

I thought it was called Pole Bank in honour of Mike’s exploits :o)

Might have a bit of fun with M0TUB tomorrow, Adrian. Keep your ears open :wink:

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Might have a bit of fun with M0TUB tomorrow, Adrian. Keep your ears
open :wink:

What you mean is that you might have a bit of fun with your radio tomorrow, Adrian, in the company of M0TUB !!

:wink:

In reply to M0TUB:
)

What you mean is that you might have a bit of fun with your radio
tomorrow, Adrian, in the company of M0TUB !!

:wink:

:-)))))

Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

M0TUB and 2E0YYY sitting on a hill…K I S … Enough said!!

More haste and less speed I think Mike!

Anyway, back to the thread. I spent 1 year contesting on 23cm from the Longmynd (Car Portable) and would very rarely work further North than 83 square, best South was 81, 91 and then East I would always get 92 and occasionally 02 square.

However for 2012 I headed up Random Farm on Tittestone Clee Hill and had a best of 10 squares compared my personal best of 6 from the Longmynd. Honestly leave the hill well alone for DXing, I am not impressed.

The better hill would be G/WB-006 Caer Caradoc, you need a Steak and Kidney Pudding Shaped Hill, rather than the Pukka Pie shape of the Longmynd!

Weird analogy I know, but what I am getting at is that height is not everything and instead take off is the key. SP-015 last year springs to mind with Tom, far bigger hills in the area but last year he dominated the contests from here (not sure if this is the case this year?) Having said all this, I know the Telford club use the Longmynd for field day and have good results, however they use 60 foot towers so that probably helps a bit!!

Sorry for the childish sense of humour but I could not resist!! Get yourself up Cloud(SOTA), Roaches or Shutlingsloe (HEMA) I am sure you wont be disappointed in terms of their takeoff.

Matt G8XYJ

In reply to G8XYJ:

Hi Matt,

Agreed on Titterstone Clee, good summit. As for The Roaches, I acivated that one with Dave M0TUB recently. I plan to revisit very soon and maybe make a day of it on UHF/VHF. As for Cloud, the take-off is definitely better than its higher neighbour, Gun. However the ease of erecting antennas on Gun makes it a more tempting summit for me.

73 Mike
2E0YYY