Long Mynd G/WB-005 Quick Report

This is only the seconnd time I’ve activated this summit, the last time was with G4XEE/P, he worked VHF and I worked HF. On arriving, I set up the X-300 collinear with guys and attached a piece of wire to the top of it for HF later. This is an extremely busy summit, so I placed the antenna about 12m from the trig point.

I decided to attach the Wouxun H/H to the antenna as there was absolutly no pager noise. As soon as I turned on the rig, I could hear a French station on the calling channel and also someone in Newcastle-upon-Tyne! First in was Stewart G0LGS, who very kindly spotted me (no mobile signal on this summit) and a steady steam of chasers followed. The first thing that struck was the dissapointing VHF take-off, there are certainly a few blank spots from here.

Don G0RQL from sunny Devon popped in with a big signal followed by Phil G4OBK in Pickering. Phil was 5/7 to me but he was really struggling when I went back to him. I pesisted but but with less than 5 Watts from the H/H, he just couldn’t make out the signal report. I could tell, he really wanted this contact. So, being the nice sort of chap I am, I went QRX and connected up the FT-857, stuck 35 watts up the collinear and it was job done :wink: This was quite a hop from Long Mynd, on FM so I guess Phil was really pleased to log this contact. Thanks Phil, made my day too!

Went onto HF to try for a replay of yesterday on 20m, but it wasn’t quite so busy with about 38 stations worked. Nice signal from VE1WT and a much harder contact than normal with Rich N4EX, however, reports were exchanged and his customary spot followed.

Suppose I should have QSY’d to 40m but ended up back on VHF.

Plenty of S2S today, 12 worked 11 SOTA plus a HuMP.

Total of 152 contacts, 39 HF 113 VHF.

Thanks to all the Chasers for a great weekend and to Stewart G0LGS, Pete M1CNL, John G1STQ, Rich N4EX, Jimmy M3EYP and anyone else who took the trouble to spot me.

73s all
Mike 2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Hi Mike

Many thanks for your assistance & patience on Long Mynd yesterday in helping myself & Barry obtain the HuMP to Summit QSO on your frequency. Certainly for me on HuMP G/HCE-012, it was my qualifying contact and Barry’s GW/NW-036 was a new one for me.

Cheers, much appreciated & thanks to Barry too of course!

Jonathan
2E0CTW

In reply to 2E0CTW:

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Hi Mike

Many thanks for your assistance & patience on Long Mynd yesterday
in helping myself & Barry obtain the HuMP to Summit QSO on your
frequency. Certainly for me on HuMP G/HCE-012, it was my qualifying
contact and Barry’s GW/NW-036 was a new one for me.

Hi Jonathan,

I think you were both close to chucking the towel in. But I was certain the contact could be made that’s why I kept the commentary going. It was just a case of keeping your overs going long enough to get the two beams lined up.

Then bingo! Phew!

73 Mike
2E0YYY