LiPo Battery tests

In reply to G8ADD:

Come on Brian, admit it, your reactolite specs were to blame. Can’t say I’ve ever had an issue with 4mm red and black, but then again there’s not much sweat when it is sub-zero on a summit!

73, Gerald

In reply to G0PEB:
Hi Robert
I just started using LiPo’s and saw your picture of the 'diode bloc’
but did you connect - and + of the diode bloc to - and + of the set and than it doesn’t matter to which of the two left over connections of the bloc you connect + and - of the Battery … am I correct ???
This will probably give you about 14,8 - 1,3 V

73 PD2PC Patrick

In reply to PD2PC:

Hi Patrick,

The bridge is configured as follows to give a parallel/series arrangement of diodes, it seems to work.
DC + from battery is connected to the bridge - tag. The two AC tags are connected together. Output is taken from the bridge + tag.

Don’t forget that the output has to be connected to a load to realise a 1.5v drop. Input volts from the 4S LiPO is 16.3V. Receiver volts on other side of the bridge is 14.8V.

Good luck,

Robert
G0PEB

In reply to PD2PC:

Hi Patrick,

You are right - the bridge rectifier could be configured as you describe, and while it was in circuit would provide reverse-polarity protection. However, an important requirement is that the diodes need to be shorted out as the battery voltage declines, to obtain maximum utilisation of the power available in the battery, and this brings the potential for “getting it wrong” with a simple jumper arrangement. Robert’s way of doing it is preferable as it is “fail safe”. It also has the advantage of putting the diodes in parallel pairs, thereby sharing the current between them.

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to G4MD:
Thanks for all your replies and yes I choose Roberts way, tested it and works perfect for me. My set-up: 2x ‘LiPo 15C 4S 5000 mAh 14,8V’ in parallel, ‘bridge rectifier’ with switch to short out the bridge rectifier, and a watt meter and power analyzer 130A from HongKong for continous control, only made a mistake in choosing the balancer, my choice was a 6C and should have been a 8C balancer to charge both LiPo’s at once, now I have to charge them one by one, gives me time to write my QSL cards HI.

73 PD2PC Patrick