light weight packs for SOTA

I was just having a browse through the packs available on that site and found this:

It would tick most of my boxes:

• minimalist ultralight-design
  • side straps to carry a mast
  • under 500g
  • not too expensive
  • comfy looking straps
  • high quality Cordura materials

Fortunately, I already have a good pack in the form of the Tutor 26 from 3FUL gear. Unfortunately, they are no longer in production, but it looks like a replacement is in the pipeline in the form of the Tutor Pro:

https://3fulgear.com/product/packs/#

Again, many of these packs are lighter and cheaper than the usual stuff you will find in your local outdoor store. The materials and workmanship are very good, most of the packs are made of Dyneema. My Tutor shows no signs of wear whatsoever, even after over 100 activations. They also do a good range of shelters.
73 de OE6FEG
Matt

2 Likes

For spring-summer-autumn day trips I use an older version of the Kelty Redwing 50. It’s so old that the shoulder harness lacks load lifting straps, and the current version bears little resemblance to this old beast. Not sure I can recommend it, as it is only moderately comfortable, but it is the definition of bombproof – it has been impervious to about 15 years of global hiking and travel use and misuse. It holds all the gear including the SOTA “shack” and the 10 Essentials..

For overnight and multi-day backpacking and winter travel (more gear), I can enthusiastically recommend the ULA Catalyst. This is unquestionably the most comfortable backpack I have worn in almost 50 years of backpacking. Loads that feel heavy in the old Kelty Redwing are easily borne in the Catalyst. ULA is a smaller specialty manufacturer, and their products are not carried by the big-name outdoor retailers like REI. You can find them in a small distribution network of independent stores or order by mail.

Thank you
Great suggestions. I am getting serious about tossing the weight. I finished a longer hike than usual for me.
I tend to pack like a pack rat. I figure well just in case I should take this and that.
I just tossed the rg58 , microphone, fibreglass pole for a much lighter fireglass pole, and 2 meter handheld for a lighter one. I have a writing board made from carboard box material. I am still looking at the problem.
bye Richard

2 Likes