LiFePO4 Batteries - October 2013 update

I also use the Accucell 6 for 8400 mAh LiFePo4 pack. I have bought additional extension cables to lengthen the balance cable as I found the cables on the 8400 mAh pack were too short to reach the charger.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=26096

Peter VK3ZPF
www.vk3zpf.com

1 Like

Found that problem too.
Brought off e bay extensions for the bullet leads and balance charger leads much better and also use the ACC 6

My problem is the Volt meter how hell do you set it so it don’t bleep all time any help please does my crust LOL

Karl

Disconnect it. that shuts it up promptly. :wink:

PMSL Good one :grinning:

But surely should be able to set it to a voltage so alarm goes off at the required voltage. But like way it goes through he cells etc letting you know what,s what.

Karl

Hi Karl,

If you mean one of the little plug-in alarms you connect to the balance plug of your battery, yes you can change the alarm voltage from what suits LIPOs to what you need for your LIFEPO4 battery. The instructions on those alarms leave a lot to the imagination, but one of the buttons will cycle it through the voltage setting mode.

There are instructions/documentation sometimes available from an info tab on the hobbyking site, associated with each item’s detail page. You may find useful info there.

Happy beeping (at 100 dbA!).

Andrew VK1DA

Thanks, Colin G8JSM and Peter VK3ZPF for your feedback.

The LiFePo 4S2P battery

and the balanced charger are on order.

I finally changed my mind for the charger to this one, which can work with either 220V AC or 12V DC inputs.

Best 73 de Guru

thank you big time

karl

Another source of good LiFePo4 batteries (7 Amp - 900 grams) which don’t look as home made as the Turnigy ones and come with a bespoke charger without complicated settings. Never had a problem since I moved over to two of these a year ago from the Turnigy LiPos after several years:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LI7-12-12v-7Ah-Ultra-Max-LITHIUM-LiFePO4-Rechargeable-Battery-NP9-12-NP7-12-/131403486989?hash=item1e9842170d:g:joAAAOSw2s1UtoyW

The firm thats sells these is in Edmonton, London. Although available via other channels / sources than the famous auction site many of us use.

73 Phil

I note that the ad says “Must be stored in charged condition”, so that gives you the advantage that you are ready for the next activation. I am still using LiPOs and understand the recommendation is to store these at their “discharged” voltage, e.g. 11.1V for a 3 cell battery so they need charging before I can escape to the hills. There is also the issue that if activations are curtailed as recently happened to me on account of Storm Frank, then I return home with charged cells. I can’t say this has been an issue though.

My 2009 vintage LiPOs are still going strong, so I doubt I will be investing in LiFePO4 just yet… keep buying them chaps and maybe the price will come down. :wink:

73, Gerald G4OIG

Hi Colin and all,
I have received my 4S2P 4200mAH LiFePo4 batt and the IMAX B6AC charger today and after having set everything, I’ve connected the battery to the charger and found to my desperation that they have sent me a wrongly labelled unit. The label is marked 4S but the charger detects 3S and the measured voltage 11V suits the 3S model.
What a bad news, as I’ll have to contact the Hobby King customer service and start the always hard way of a claiming process :angry:
Best 73 de Guru

Hi Guru,

I have this battery and charger. Mine will also wrongly detect 3 cells now and then. There is a screen where you have set 4 cells, and detection is 3 cells. I go ahead and charge, as long as I have set the correct cell voltage, and balance charge. Refer to page 14 of the manual, and set the default value of 10 minutes for cell detection. Watch it for that first 10 minutes to see if it is persuaded to detect 4 cells.
Working through the menus is a chore.
Your measured 11 volts may indicate the battery was shipped to you uncharged.
Good luck.

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. I’ll follow your recommendations tomorrow and will let you know.
Good night for now. I only have 5h45 to sleep.
73 de Guru

PS- My 4 cell battery has 5 leads on the balance connector.

Ok. So mine has…

Guru, make sure you have a good read of the operating manual for the charger. I do not use the exact same charger that you bought, but it is of the same type. My charger needs to be told what the battery is - not only in terms of chemistry and number of cells but also I think from memory, capacity. As per Marc’s comment, my 4S batteries also have 5 cables on the balance lead - and the 3S battereries have 4 cables on their balancing lead, so pretty confident that you have a 4S battery.

As I charge my 3S LiPo and my 4S LiFePO4 batteries with the same charger, I have saved different charging profiles in the charger for the different battery types (very easily changed with the press of a couple of buttons).

The manual for my charger was not the easiest to understand, but eventually I managed to figure it out and now it is an easy thing to swap between the different batteries when I want to charge them.

As a matter of safety, always initiate a battery check before you start charging - it will use the profile that is loaded at the time and test to make sure that it matches what the battery is (although it cannot check the chemistry - it is only testing the number of cells).

Clear as mud?

Matt
VK1MA

I had no instructions turn up with mine charger but found this Vid of great interest.

Karl

The number of wires going into the balance connector is always one more than the number of series connected cells. Isn’t this fairly obvious? It’s just like fenceposts.

Martyn

As obvious as having ordered a 4S2P battery, having received an ítem that looks like a 4S2P battery with a label on it saying it is a 4S2P battery, but the measured voltaje is just 11V and the Smart charger connected to it detects a 3S…
Clear as mud.
This evening, when I’ll get back home after work, I’ll proceed with setting the default value of 10 minutes for cell detection and watching it for that first 10 minutes to see if it is persuaded to detect 4 cells, as recommended by WA2FON, who said he has the same battery and charger I have and experienced the same issue.
I’ll let you know my findings…
73 de Guru

That bit is strange.

I’m not familar with your exact charger, but on mine you first have to set the “expected” number of cells. The charger then tests the battery, and reports the number it finds. It shows expected on the left and actual on the right, and you are not supposed to proceed unless they are the same. Does yours work like that? Could it be that it does not look for more cells than you have told it to expect? Just a guess…

I think it it were mine, I would check the cell voltages with a multimeter. Adjacent pins on the balance connector will be 1 cell. The 4 values may be a bit low if the battery was supplied discharged, but they should be roughly the same. If not, you may have a faulty battery (not just mislabelled).

Martyn

Yes, mine works exactly like that, I set the charger with the 4S value because that’s the battery I bought and as soon as the charger got connected and made the self detection before starting the charging process, the mismatch was shown on the charger screen, it detected 3S while I had informed 4S, so I aborted the charging process.

I’ll do this tonight.

This is what I fear because when I connected just the balance charging connector to the charger and not the main power poles, the charger sounded an alarm and the display showed a message saying reverse polarity. Very weird. This is not smelling well to me…

Thanks for your feedback, Martyn.
Best 73 de Guru