Last day of the Challenge

Great report Tom.

I was chasing your spots (and others) from G/SP-008 but the only activator I heard was Simon G(W)4TJC. I’d been on 12m at that point and quickly QSYd to 10m to work Simon for an S2S before going QRT.

It was my first experience of 10m, I found it a bit crazy! My opener was Rich N4EX with an awesome CW signal. I was really struggling with the FT817 keyer, I don’t think it likes me, I think it’s jealous that my MTRs get all the attention :smiley:

73, Colin

1 Like

As the day progressed I got perturbed that I could not hear you, Tom, as we should have been line of sight. There was plenty of DX to be heard, just no Tom! I suspect that as it was LOS I was suffering from the cross polarisation loss between my horizontal antenna and your vertical. So, a lesson, I will have to get a vertical up for the higher bands.

Brian

1 Like

What a great day Tom. I must try that, but it sounds hard to keep to any kind of schedule.

Thanks from Jamie and me for the S2S QSOs. I did try looking for you on 10m, but perhaps it was when I got distracted by the VU station (didn’t catch him though).

Yes, N4EX and the other US east coast CW stations were good and strong. On SSB there was a really strong Chilean station about as far south as they go. Didn’t catch him either. :frowning:

I wonder, when you obey the Google lady’s instructions to go somewhere a bit dodgy does it reinforce the algorithm such that she’s even more likely to direct people that way in the future?

1 Like

Hi Colin, I heard you working Simon (I was on GW/MW-026, Long Mountain also using FT817), but you were hovering on the noise floor with me, so a QSO would have been difficult. Pleased to catch Tom and Simon for S2S though, thanks.

Nice report Tom, Corndon at sunset is quite a finish!

Adrian
G4AZS

1 Like

Yes, it’s a bit of a tough ask at the end of a long day too Adrian. On reflection, I wish I’d done them in the opposite order. Not so much to put the steep Corndon at the start rather than the end, but more because Carolyn G6WRW mentioned in QSO that she would have joined me on Titterstone Clee Hill for a joint activation.

I said that I wished she’d have emailed me to let me know that, and I would have definitely reversed the order. Love joint activations! Having said that, I did rather enjoy the challenge of taking on a big day like this entirely on my own. I did miss the massive input I normally have from Jimmy on an outing such as this, but also rather enjoyed the quiet solitude of the day.