Land's End and back

In reply to G4ERP:

Hi Richard,

I suppose there are quite a few summits where man has had his hand in the forming of the land… just recently I activated Garth Hill SW-034 where the trig is on top of a barrow (not the wheeled variety) and therefore not on natural ground.

As for Hensbarrow… taken aback - yes it is rather strange, lunar like in a way. Not nice but getting better.

73, Gerald

In reply to G4ERP:

Hi Richard

The General Rules in defining the “Vertical Distance” within which an activation is valid refers to a “drop” in height from the summit - so presumably there is no restriction on how far above it you can be for a valid activation!

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to G4MD:
Interesting…

From Wikipedia: “In topography, a summit is a point on a surface which is higher in elevation than all points immediately adjacent to it. Mathematically speaking, a summit is a local maximum in elevation.”

Thus Richard was on the “summit”… Discuss…

73 Marc G0AZS

In reply to G4MD:

once the Grockle-hunting season is over.

Damn nightmare up in The Highlands. Hordes of visitors from our European neighbours driving about with faces showing abject terror as they negotiate narrow highland roads and having to drive on the wrong side of the road too. Took me 45mins extra to get to Meall nan Tarmachan due to the traffic. Although German and Swiss drivers in camper vans have fantastic road discipline, they pull over regularly to allow the faster traffic to pass. I’ve never seen a UK tin-tent driver do that, they seem to relish in causing a queue!

Worst though is when you meet a foreign visitor on a single track road and they instinctively go to their native side of the road to avoid you and you almost have a head-on collision! Aargh!

Well done on activating all of those hills Richard.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G4MD, G4OIG:

Hi. Yes, there are lots of examples of where prehistoric man - or even more recent man - has had a go. This one just demonstrates how we can ruin anything these days without having to try very hard. At least we (collectively) are trying to redress the damage to some extent in this case.

Paul, enjoy the DCs when you do them. I would recommend my order, which starts well and leaves two excellent summits to the end. Okay - DC005 was actually last but hey …

R

In reply to MM0FMF:

Hi, Andy.

Yep. Same in DC-land and LD-land. That’s why we park the motorhome and walk or use public transport during the season. It’s just not worth the hassle.

With a schedule like mine, last weekend was the last opportunity before the hols and the roads were fine. Left it to the last moment in the finest traditions of F1. :slight_smile:

An early start usually works for me at this time of year.

R

In reply to G4ERP:
Many thanks for the summits Richard, it was great to work you on all the summits on 2mssb, I have to say you was a terriffic signal on all the summits, and one of them, watchcroft was the unique I wanted as a chaser, so many thanks for that.

73’s

John
M0JDK

In reply to G4ERP:

The “Cornish Alps” were supposed to be a tourist attraction in their own right, and I guess are now a permanent feature, although I suspect that in times to come they will be subject to rapid erosion unless some form of cementation is taking place in the spoil. It strikes me that if artificial summits become acceptable as Marilyns there might be one or two in the Scottish coalfields unless they have been levelled since I was last up there!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G4ERP:

Hi Richard,

Many thanks for the kind words. I wish I had been available
for all of your activations but that was not to be. Two of
the four summits were uniques for me, and as always it was a
pleasure to contact you. I am still using the 2 ele short quad
in the loft (boom length under a foot). I don’t think it would
like going outdoors - the boom, spreaders and stub mast are
all made from untreated softwood! Hope to work you soon.

Best 73

Dave G0ELJ

In reply to MM0FMF:

Wot Tourists???

Come up North instead of being a Central Belt softie and have a go at “chaps” hills!!!

Still looking for company on those two biggies I have to do to complete the National Park summits

Barry GM4TOE

In reply to GM4TOE:

You’re on!

Richard

In reply to GM4TOE:

I have this problem called ‘work’, It get’s in the way of enjoying myself!
Anyway, I’d have thought your neck of the woods would be crawling in tourists this time of year? I know many of the tourists I see are doing the Loch Lomond run. I guess fuel costs are limiting how far they move from Edinburgh and Pitlochry and the like.

I’m still on for them. My new boots seem to about broken in now, or my feet are used to them but it’s taken long enough. And I’m just plucking up enough courage to go swimming across the Geldie Burn!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to GM4TOE:

Er … they don’t need ropes do they?

Richard

In reply to G4ERP:

It helps for one if you have webbed feet. Or waders! But really it depends on whether it’s been a raining a lot.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Hi, Andy.

Ah. That’s the reference to the Geldie Burn I assume. Sounds fun.

LD’s the furthest north I’ve been so far. My only excursions north of the border have been for a different sort of hillclimbing.

Culture shock awaits - I suspect.

73, Richard

In reply to G4ERP:
Culture shock is when you first see the menu in the bar of the Clachaig Inn (It starts with “Cream of Campbell Soup”!) so I would describe a first visit north of the Highland Boundary Fault as a life-enhancing experience, especially approaching the Buachaille across Rannoch Moor and then gawping your way down Glencoe feeling as if the Three Sisters are going to fall on you! This is the land where Snowdon demotes from “a big mountain” to “just run of the mill”, the big 'uns there are 1000 feet higher. Then there’s the Cuillins on sky, the stuff of dreams - or is it nightmares?

Memories - and suddenly I have itchy feet!

Brian G8ADD