Lambrigg Fell LD-046

I’m sure all of you who have nipped up Lambrigg Fell for a quick activation, often whilst passing on the M6, will be pleased to hear that it is most definitely a Marilyn!

The recorded drop was 152m for Lambrigg Fell which makes it well within the error margin for OS maps. It has recently been accurately surveyed by the Relative Hills of Britain group (RHB) and found to have a summit to col drop of 159.4m.

With this excellent news in mind, I might have to waltz up it again next time I’m passing on April 10th! :wink:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
Hi Andy another quick and easy one near to Lambrigg is Greyrigg Forest.Its a short walk from the Transmitter masts.73 Geoff

In reply to G6MZX:

Ah it may be a short walk from the transmitter masts but it’s a fair walk to the masts in the 1st place!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
The gates are usually unlocked Andy.
I walked up the only time I did it and was passed by a landrover safari full of walkers :frowning:

Roger G4OWG

In reply to MM0FMF:
Hi Andy I did.nt know that the gates were ever locked.When I have driven up there has been other people there with cars having picnics.And walkers going walks from there.ATB Geoff

In reply to G6MZX:

Yes I did know about the road and gates. When you look at the approaches on a map for the 1st time, the road is obviously private and so the ascent looks to be more. However, an intarwebgoogling shows that car access to the transmitter site is tolerated. When you know of the road access then it does make Grayrigg suitable for a quick activation for those passing near in the same way that Hutton Roof Crags and Lambrigg Fell are.

Andy
MM0FMF

Nonetheless, LD-046 is much more easily accessed for those passing by - the parking spot is about 20 seconds drive from the M6 junction! So it will remain the favourite.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

<Gerald_OIG>

Uniques Tom. Uniques!

</Gerald_OIG>

:wink:

Andy
MM0FMF

Ha! Anyone would think I don’t go after uniques, and yet I am 6th in the G Activator Uniques table just one place behind Mr Uniques Himself!

BTW, QRV now on 145.725MHz FM with the students if anyone is about.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

That area has in my opinion the best scenery to be seen from the M6 motorway & it is always a pleasure to drive / ride through that stunning valley near Tebay, or even pass through it on the train.

BTW It was very nice to work some of the students through VT earlier, on a rare sunny afternoon off work for me :slight_smile:

Mark G0VOF

In reply to MM0FMF and M1EYP:

Oi, no wonder my ears were burning! Just because I’ve had a 60 hour plus working week and have been in absentia, it doesn’t mean you can make reference to me behind my back, let alone refer to me as Mr Uniques. After all, Norby and Paul have serious reputations to uphold and I wouldn’t want them upset.

Currently batteries charging ready to bag another 4 Uniques tomorrow / Monday. Is it ready a month since I’ve been out up a hill? Obviously must be that long as desperation set in and I worked a few summits from home…

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

I’m told that the weather is quite good in Absentia, but what’s the beer like? :wink:

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

I’m told that the weather is quite good in Absentia, but what’s the beer like? :wink:

Strictly bottled Old Speckled Hen at a whopping £3.50… taken with a strong dose of Steeleye Span, who were absolutely splendiferous as usual and only cost £18 for two hours of brilliant professionalism. This was the only highlight in a week of considerable angst caused by idiotic people.

BTW, I gather Lambrigg Fell has a microclimate or was it just cloudy all around us and sunny on the summit only when I was there?

73, Gerald G4OIG