Lake District SOTA Weekend 18/19th May 2019 part2

The weather has been nice all week and I’ve been working. I have this weekend off and weather doesn’t look great. I’m really hoping that will change though I will make a decision tomorrow evening.

73 Chris M0RSF

FYI for those not aware there is a Marathon on Sunday that looks to be in the area of Winderemere, Ambleside and points south. (loop parh that goes around Lake Windermere) Brathay Challenges | ASICS Windermere Marathon
There are signs all up the A591 amd B5285 stating that “things would be slow between1000-1215. Depending on what your Sunday plans are that could make things fun.

I’m still on for tomorrow’s LD activity although the summit may change. Will be taking my little shelter, hope it will not be needed but looks like it will.

For you FM ops I’ll have my hand held so will try to get S2S but main activation will be HF.

Finally will try to meet up in the pub later.

Neil
G0WPO

Latest WX forecast looking better for tomorrow now…

Excellent news about the weather. To be honest I can manage showers as long as the wind keeps reasonable!

There are a quite a few activators out today, @2E0MIX Derek and @M0HQO Pete on Whitfell and Wainwrights, @G4OBK Phil doing Shap Wainwrights, M0SNA Paul on Stony Cove Pike then High Street with the other Paul M/HB9DST/P doing HF and finally Jamie @N6JFD as M/N6JFD doing a great job on 2m from Scafell Pike.

Regards, Mark. M0NOM

First one down. The drive over was a pain due to an accident on the M6 near Penrith, but the weather was glorious! Spoke to Pete whilst driving towards Kendal and then Jamie S2S from High Rigg. Fingers crossed for the rest of the weekend. Park run tomorrow (wife not me!) then SOTA.

Can’t be at the pub tonight (Friday evening) I’m afraid - I’m already booked for a hockey presentation apparently. Should have checked (or not done a bloke-check) of the diary.

Regards, Mark. M0NOM

I’ll be at the Brookside Fri evening in case there are any other SOTA freaks arriving early.
Paul M/HB9DST

1 Like

Hope you had a good day Paul, sounds like you had fun (apart from Thornthwaite Gap, which is never fun in my opinion!).

Hi Mark, actually I felt right at home like I never left HB9!

Hopefully not us freaks? Haha…
See you in Brookside 7-7.30pm Paul our guesthouse is right across the road. We’ll be eating but haven’t booked. Thanks for the High Street QSO at lunchtime today.
Glad to hear from Andy that WX forecast is a little better for tmw.

73 Phil

OK Phil, I wont go until I see you. Look for the guy with the HB9DST cap. The strange looking guy!

I may be able to pop in after this event, not sure when however!

It seems the weather has improved for tomorrow. I will be active from my alerted summit on 2M FM and SSB.

73 Chris M0RSF

I lnow I will regret saying this tomorrow, but it seems whenever I visit the UK I bring that good California wx with me ;). See you all tomorrow night at Brookside!!!

1 Like

Early night Mark, great pub good grub, lager and wine. Good company with VPX, DST and my XYL. Early night now in bed.

See you tmw

Phil

I turned up at 9:30pm but figured everyone had a early night. I asked about tomorrow night and it’s fine but the FA cup final is on (blissfully ignorant not being a football fan). I don’t think that can be avoided realistically and the top area is TV free so we should be fine, it may have an impact on food times so just be aware!

Good luck everyone for tomorrow, stay safe, stay within your limits and I wish you lots of S2S and chaser contacts!

Mark

Just on G/LD-029 having fun on HF bit of inter G on 40m.

The shack view and shack for the morning

Waiting for some VHF s2s

5 Likes

Graeme,
Good to work you this morning from Hereford. Great photos and good to see the MTR5 in action. Best 73’s, Ian G4WTF

1 Like

Yes, well done Graeme. The early bird certainly caught the worm. Loads of QSB, but you provided the best inter-G contact on 40m for me for absolutely ages. Many thanks for the Complete. Just sorry that I cannot be up there with you all this weekend. Have fun!

73, Gerald

1 Like