Lake District Exped

In an earlier topic I said that the XYL had given me permission to spend the week walking whilst she and the boys visit her sister in Southport. Well a plan of sorts is in place. I will be dropping them off at Southport on Saturday tea-time (6th Oct) and will proceed to my B&B in Windermere. The intention is to walk as many days as weather and body allow leaving the Lakes on the Friday 12th Oct.

I am making no plans as to which hills to do on which day but will do my very best to promulgate the summit prior to departing the hotel. I will also spotlite when at the summits.

The summits so far being considered - in no particular order or priority are - Helvellyn, Fairfield, Seat Sandal, Red Screes, Stony Cove Pike, Harter Fell, Holme Fell & Gummer How. That gives me a smattering of 1 pointers if the legs need a break.

I will try to operate on 145-fm, 144-ssb, 7.032 cw, 7.116/060 ssb, FE ssb/cw, 10.116. Maybe not all each time - depends very much on time at summit and wx etc.

If anyone has any thoughts on routes to any of the above mentioned they will be gratefully recieved. Also if anyone whats to know the secret to getting a 7 day pass to go walking submit your request on the back of a £20 note to me QTHR :-))

Look forward to working as many of you as possible. If anyone whats to join me for a beer in the evenings you are more than welcome.

73 Glyn…GM4CFS

In reply to GM4CFS:
Hi Glyn,
Red Screes and Stony Cove Pike are both easy to do.Just park up in the car park on the top of Kirkstone Pass and Red Screes is straight up in front of you.Stony Cove is to the rear of the pub on the left, a longer walk but still quite easy.Also consider doing Hard Knott with Harter Fell starting from the top of Hardknott Pass.
David G6LKB

In reply to G6LKB:

In reply to GM4CFS:
Hi Glyn,
Red Screes and Stony Cove Pike are both easy to do.Just park up in the
car park on the top of Kirkstone Pass and Red Screes is straight up in
front of you.Stony Cove is to the rear of the pub on the left, a
longer walk but still quite easy.Also consider doing Hard Knott with
Harter Fell starting from the top of Hardknott Pass.
David G6LKB

What no recommendation for LD-049?!!! Your slacking in you’re age old man

Andrew
M0LKB

In reply to GM4CFS:

One of my favourites is from Troutbeck following High Street, the Roman Road and onto the summit of Racecourse Hill (LD-011).

You have a choice of descents one into Hartsop or retrace to Thornthwaite Beacon, nip down to the the mouth and then a short stroll to the Kirkstone Inn via Stoney Cove Pike

MYKE

In reply to 2E0HJD:

Thanks for that Mick. I had already looked at Dale Head as a possible but following your comment regarding Robinson I have now raised that combo to a definate. Just not sure yet which day but Monday 8th Oct looks good at the moment with Stony Cove Pike and Red Screes on the 7th.

Steve (AAV) will look to schedule LD-043 and poss LD057 (access permitting) for the pm of the 10th or sometime on the 11th.
Glyn