Lake District Activity Weekend, 5th/6th March 2022

Apparently …

Quote: “Incidentally, if you don’t wake before your alarm, you probably aren’t getting enough sleep—or you aren’t sleeping on a consistent schedule.”

BTW: I activated Helvellyn in December sitting in the snow with my back to the wind. The lack of shelter makes activating it in winter for Oldies like me a challenge to stay warm.

P.S. I like the straight key - it’s got a proper grippable knob unlike my Palm straight key. I should take the PPK but don’t like straight-keying on wonky surfaces. So much easier with the small lateral movements of my finger and thumb with the Palm Pico twin paddles.

3 Likes

Nice to meet you yesterday and great to see your transverter setup. The weather was really forgiving and made it rather enjoyable to work a long list of chasers while sat in the sun and snow on the top of G/LD-001.

I made it to the top of Illgill Head just in time for sunset. I had a quick look outside the tent at 22:00 after an aurora alert to my phone, but I couldn’t see anything over the top of Great Gable and Scafell Pike. However, it seemed to affect my signal reports this AM, I was getting lower SNR reports from the RBN than I would usually expect with my 3 W on 30m.

2 Likes

Thanks to Mark for suggesting the weekend. Looking at other alerts and knowing I only had the morning I had a look at a route into Stony Cove Pike. I met M7BIA in the carpark before his ascent to Red Screes.

It was going to be a good time to try my nearly acquired Yaesu FT-90, which had performed well in the house. I called on 145.500 and got a lot of noise with the responses, I think the receive on my copy Sotabeams MFD is still not fixed. I switched back to my handheld with half wave whip and managed to get 23 QSOs including 9 S2S with a few NW and one SS.

Looks like I’m back to the drawing board with the MFD.

2 Likes

Hi Andrew

Having that extra punch is definitely worth it, but it does bring complications that a handheld doesn’t suffer from! At one time (younger, fitter) I took my FT-8900R with me on to the fells the extra failure points that you get with a mobile setup compared to a plain handheld do sometimes get in the way! At least you had the handheld.

Catch you on the next one, regards Mark.

1 Like

You were off like a rocket, Matthew. I just fell on my backside and bent Mrs g7kse’s walking pole. She wasn’t impressed. Time for some new winter boots.

I ended up walking down with a random bloke from Norwich who does circus stuff at festivals. Very interesting lifestyle. He was impressed with the geekery.

Glad you managed to get up to illgill head. It’s a bit of a trek but I like the view from the top of the screes. I see it just about weekly from the bottom and it’s very different up top.

I’d just finished my 2m bit when I saw you setting up. Instantly spotted the pole :+1:… The only thing I regret was to pack up the transverter before the buffoon with the drone started up flying over my head. Would have been nice to see is 13cm could confuse it.

2 Likes