Lake District Activity Weekend, 5th/6th March 2022

I notice from the alerts so far that most activators are doing 144-ssb and I’m wondering if that’s because some / many / all are staying at summit for the RSGB 2m/70cm contest starting at 1400 UTC.

I intend to be on summit (G/LD-???) from about mid morning but can’t stay much beyond lunchtime. I usually take a J-pole for 2m V-pol ops but if other activators are going to be wielding their mighty Yagis horizontally polarised, I would take my wee 3-el 2m Yagi if the recent stormy weather has gone by then. Anyone decided on 2m antenna to take?

73 Andy

1 Like

Hi Andy , I will be using a moxon (provided I repair it in time. thanks for the reminder … ) , so either v or h, also j-pole enabled and then polarization will depend on wind strength :laughing:

Alan

1 Like

Hi Andy,

Our intention is for Nic to do HF, while I follow with 2m. I will only have a SlimJim on a 6m pole, but it usually works well enough to qualify a summit. I was going to buy a Yagi from our local radio store, but after chasing them a few times, I’ve given up waiting and will look to get something at the Blackpool rally later this year. I should then have that for our trip to Scotland in June and in time for the next LD activity weekend :+1:.

If the weather is less than ideal, it’ll be a 2m FM handie oinly activation. If the weather is really bad, we’ll sit in the hotel looking at SOTA reports from people in sunny countries :slight_smile:

73, Simon

1 Like

Simon, have a look at Martin DK7ZB’s page. There are lots of simple to build and highly effective Yagi designs on there for 2m etc. Well there’s lots of antenna designs on there. The designs are repeatable and respected.

https://www.qsl.net/dk7zb/start1.htm

2 Likes

Thanks Andy, I shall take a look through his site. Some good stuff on there. I’ve been having fun building linked HF dipoles recently, which work surprisingly well, even with our QRP FT-818, so making a 2m Yagi will be a new challenge!

Cheers, Simon

1 Like

Hi Alan and Simon, thanks for your replies.

If the weather turns out to be like it has been in recent weeks I wouldn’t fancy trying to put up my 2m Yagi and holding it on a bearing. I will probably stick with my roll-up J-pole on a 6m pole which is good enough for most inter-G/LD summits and well beyond.

As I’ll also be doing HF [bands, antenna, summit TBD] I’ll be taking my KX2. Rather than taking my bulky Ft817 as well [for 2m SSB, CW?] think I’ll dust off my Ukrainian-based 28-144 transverter as a nice change.

For what it’s worth, the G/LD Wx forecast for that weekend is still showing no rain - but don’t hold your breath.

1 Like

Saturday - Depending on the wx will do 2m FM and some HF. 40m has been hard work recently so I might do 60m and then 20 or 17 depending if there is a busy contest on. I plan to park at Newlands so will do Robinson first - ( G/LD-021) which might be 2m FM only before going for Dale Head (G/LD-020) - and then depending on time back to Robinson!
On Sunday I plan to go up Burnhope Seat G/NP-003 which should be good for any lake district S2S contacts. Will alertr later.
All of this depends on the wx, which has been horrible for the last week. Today is the first day for ages without either gales or floods - but I’m stuck indoors waiting for a delivery … 73 Paul

1 Like

Well, it had to happen at some point, both Alex and I have contracted COVID from a party on Saturday evening. So I’m taking it easy, so far the effects are like a bad head cold, and hopefully will be able to manage something over the weekend if I am clear by then.

I did ask The Brookside Inn online if they are doing food again - all indications on the internet suggest they are, I’ll try and remember to give them a ring tomorrow.

Regards, Mark.

1 Like

I aim to be QRV on Gummers How G/LD-050 about the same time (1000z) as other G/LD activators to get some 2m FM S2Ss with 5W to my j-pole on a 6m pole. Also doing CW (10W) on HF with a Chameleon MPAS Lite. The Wx forecast is looking alright at the moment but I’ll take a tarp as there’s no shelter on that summit.

regards, Andy

I hope it’s mild and you both can recover quickly.
Good luck!

Guru

2 Likes

There seems to be a rumour that I live on G/SP-004 :rofl: … just to prove people wrong I plan to do:

Something easy on Friday Afternoon after travelling up.
G/LD-017 Red Screes on Saturday (2m and HF).
G/LD-047 Loughrigg Fell on Sunday (2m and HF) Partner is doing a bike event in Ambleside.

See you there!
Hope you are feeling better Mark!

Martin (M7BIA).

1 Like

Really sorry to hear you caught the Lurgi Mark, hope you don’t get the red line again at the weekend and you can get out. I’m going to stay in Creetown, Dumfries & Galloway on Sunday night at my usual digs there and activitate some GM/SS summits Sunday and on further north on the Monday. 2m for Sunday LD S2S possibilities and HF on Monday. My last activation was on 1st December, so I am ready to get out again.

73 Phil G4OBK

1 Like

Apologies, I won’t be able to make it up to the LD this coming weekend, but I’m planning to be out on some NW summits throughout the day. Would be great to work some LD S2S stations to celebrate SOTA’s 20th anniversary :blush: take care all and have a great time!

73, GW4BML. Ben

2 Likes

Similar here.

Will try to get out on Saturday on a good South facing hill for 2m/23cms/13cms and a normal activation on Sunday. Well that’s the plan.

1 Like

Fingers crossed we may make contact. I’ll be on 2m FM :+1: safe ascent Andy.

73, GW4BML. Ben

Having just paid 165p per litre for diesel I’m not sure I’ll be going anywhere for a while! :grimacing:

1 Like

It’s only 152p/l here in the near of Edinburgh, though worrying when you’re like me and about to retire.

As the week has progressed the weather for Saturday - at least on the hills I intended attempting has deteriorated, with it now suggesting light snow with winds gusting to 40 mph. I am starting to think that something lower, easier to drive to and further inland might be a better bet. I’ll change my alert when I make my mind up! ( PS £1.70 + on the M1) Paul

1 Like

Nobody buys fuel on the motorways unless their employer is paying. And as long as their are employers prepared to let their staff pay stupid prices at motorway services then this thieving will continue.

For the last 30 years I’ve left motorways at major town exits and popped to an out of town supermarket for fuel, coffee and sandwiches. If you put 45l in and save 25p/l over motorway service prices then that’s £11.25 which will pay for about 3 times as much food and coffee at the supermarket’s cafe!

The only place I stop and drink/eat is Tebay Services but that’s because it’s independent, supports local suppliers and the quality is sublime.

3 Likes

+1 for Tebay. I’d especially recommend their ice cream…very nice! :slight_smile: :ice_cream:

3 Likes