KX2 internal battery or not

I know we’re drifting a wee bit off topic but this discussion is good stuff …

I have a KX2 and a FT817. Neither are rugged or rainproof in my view. But both are working fine after about 7 and 21 years respectively of regular field use. I wonder if the fear of damage is greater than in practise if one adopts good practise.

I carry rigs in bubble-wrap or padded bags inside rucksacks and I take my time setting up and stowing them. I use 2m-long cables for headphones and paddles so I don’t drag the rig off its perch if I lean over to grab something.

Rain and fog is a serious issue for most rigs. I usually carry the bubble-wrapped KX2 in a large transparent toilet bag. If raining at the summit the bag also acts as a shelter for the rig whilst QRV. I still have to be careful that rainwater doesn’t run down the external cables (from headphones and paddles) and into the bag.

The bigger problem is fog - low cloud on summit (which is common in winter where I activate in NW Britain). With high humidity water vapour gets inside the rig after a while. Condensation appearing on the inside of the KX2 screen is my warning to go QRT soon.

After a wet activation, once home I put all my gear (including my 6m pole fully telescoped) in a warm room to get thoroughly dry.

3 Likes

As a 99% CW activator, I’m afraid to say I was very disappointed with the T/R switching on the TX500. If you activate mostly SSB & Digi, then OK, the TX500 may well be the best choice for you. No pin diode QSK is usually an immediate deal-breaker for me.
73 de Matt

4 Likes

I found the internal battery to be a pain in the a$$ , myself. I got rid of it.
I have been using a 1100 mah 4 cell LiPo with switched diodes for years now.

Malen
VE6VID

1 Like

One of the settings shows the PA temperature - and I think the software cuts the power if it is getting hot. Only on one occasion - in bright sun on Pike-o-Blisco did the temperature go over 40. For me the heat sink (probably not needed) came as part of the side protectors ( Needed for me…). I usually run 10w SSB from the internal battery. So (In my opinion) with SSB or CW in the UK (Normal summer not mad heatwave) you would be Ok without a heatsink. My body gives up before the rig… :slight_smile: 73 Paul

2 Likes