Knots tutorial for antenna setup

It has several pages on the subject of “Nooses” if that is of any help :rofl:

3 Likes

Sky Hook ?? Were you or are you a climber?? I have two of those, rather old Sky Hooks when they were fashionable.
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwjcytu31970AhWY6-0KHQUGD0sYABANGgJkZw&ae=2&sig=AOD64_1yHlbT9cnK9JvPs0iGFQ_V6WXJ1A&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwiJqNS31970AhVJQ0EAHf1sAvcQ9aACegQIARBR&adurl=

I don’t think I was ever bold/brave enough to use them though!!!
David

Brilliant book Barry, as I’m sure you know - ‘the bible’ for anything knot or rope related.

1 Like

Yes I am doing a bit of sport-climbing and easy multipitch routes but it is refering to a joke in German speaking countries.

https://de.wiktionary.org/wiki/Lufthaken

Apprenties get send to other department to aquire the Siemens-Lufthaken. So a bolt that can be placed in mid air (made by Siemens just to make it sound official). That is like an IQ test if they figure out that they are being tricked.

1 Like

Den kannst du übrigens hier bekommen… so wie noch viele andere nützlliche Artikel

https://traumshop.net/shop/azubistreich/siemens-lufthaken/

73 Armin

2 Likes

Is that from the same department as the long stand and tartan paint?

c.f. Left-handed hammer.

I needed to google those terms but it is the same priciple.
Sorry to Ignacio for derailing his thread with offtopics.

2 Likes

Hi dear Joe,
That’s the way it uses to be frequently in the Reflector… Don’t worry,
Some times a thread evolves and you learn some other things.

I’m not a knot expert anyway; just shared what I’ve been using since years.
One of the knots I showed in the video came from an old man who taught me while flying a kite, many years ago.
Another was showed to me on a Sota activation by my friend Santi EA2BSB.

I still have many more things to learn. True ham spirit consists in that fact; exchanging ideas and contributing to make things better with the aid of other ham mates.

73 de Ignacio

3 Likes

Indeed it is always interesting to learn something new. I am in general a big fan of velco bands for mounting the mast as this also works in winter with gloves. And a 3D printed mastholder with ready to use knots

Keep it as simple as possible.

But always good to know some tricks :+1:
Hope to hear you again soon.
73 de Joe

3 Likes

I have some bright yellow Velcro cable ties which I thought were great until winter. They stick to my gloves and I have to take my gloves off to use them.

2 Likes

No, they are not. Beer just makes you not to care that you suck.:grin:

The real question is not how to tie knots, but how to untie the ones that magically appear. And how my guy ropes mysteriously tie themselves in knots every time my attention is elsewhere. Or manage to spontaneously form a perfect figure of 8 on the chase (I mean that should not be possible without feeding one end through the other) with the antenna wire on a cold windy day … or …

In fact, there’s a correlation. The colder, miserabler, darker, grimmer the situation, the more knots magically appear and the greater their complexity. Someone should study the relationship, but I believe it to be exponential.

4 Likes

Gracias Ignacio, excellent video, so simple, this is going to save me a lot of heartbreak. 73 MI7WJL

2 Likes

Hello,
For simplicity in the recording I put my antenna on a grassy park.
As you may guess, things are not that simple up in summit, where sometimes wind makes things worse.
In situations where the summit is rocky (frequent here) and I can’t use the tent pegs, then I do the same installation but I use instead some loose stones to tie the end of the ropes.

73 de Ignacio

2 Likes