KK1W latest W1 MG

Congratulations to Jim, KK1W for his Mountain Goat achievement yesterday!

Merle and Herm
KB1RJD and C

6 Likes

Congratulations Jim on achieving Mountain Goat.

Jimmy M0HGY

Congratulations, Jim!

Congratulations Jim! Baaaaa!

Way to go Jim! Welcome to the herd!

73, Bud N7CW

Thanks Jim for all the summit signals into Missouri!

Congrats on your mountain goat achievement!

John N0EVH

Congratulations Jim. You are lucky # 7 Mountain Goat from W1 land. Have a Great day. de Scotty

Thanks everyone, it’s been a long journey but I finally made it!

It was the summer of 2010 when Frandy/N1FJ started talking about SOTA and got the ball rolling here in Western Massachusetts (home of the 1 pointers!). It sure was different back then. Not a lot of chasers, no RBN, cell coverage was sparse, etc. It was a struggle to figure out how to make yourself known as well as best practices for mountaintop radio setups. Back then the hiking was the easy part!

Rool the calendar ahead 8 years and now the biggest obstacle is hiking and solar conditions. Rigs and batteries have improved, we’ve robust spotting including RBNhole and lots of chasers. At times the pileup is more challenging than the actual activation!

It’s been great to meet up with so many on the air and in person. The adventure goes beyond ham radio & hiking, it really becomes the experience of new places, meeting folks from all over the county (and beyond) and getting to see the real world around us. It truly has been an amazing adventure.

Thank you all for being part of this experience!

Jim/KK1W

1 Like

Congratulations Jim! I just hiked and activated Pico Peak in Vt yesterday with my wife. I just noticed you activated Pico a few days ago. Not an easy hike! I hope to meet you and Frandy sometime. I admire your determination as pioneer and long time SOTA guys! I hope you continue to enjoy SOTA for many years ahead. Bob AC1Z

Congrats Jim and welcome to the herd. You are so right about the adventures, challenges and new places and the people we meet along the way. I hope to work you many more times from the mountains OM and who knows maybe there will be one more mutual trip along the way to the Adirondacks!

Best 72/73, Dennis

PS - Tell Frandy I said hello.

1 Like

Congratulations. Sorry I missed you, I try to chase every W1 activation. I owe you and Frandy for the night you came to tell FCARC about SOTA.

So awesome Jim! I bet you have some wx challenges in W1 to work around too!

Keith KR7RK

Jim,
Congratulations! Since we MGed on the same day it makes us twins, or something. Keep up the great work!

Darryl
ww7d
W7W AM

1 Like

Congrats Darryl!

I’m sure you made it faster than my leisurely 8 year pace :slight_smile:

Jim

CONGRATS JIM,
And welcome to the herd!
Ken

Congratulations Jim! It was great to meet you on Ludlow Mountain. Actually it was wonderful. You & Frandy were the first activators I’ve ever met on a summit. I could have stayed and listened to you for many hours more, but it was late & I knew you hadn’t had a chance to setup and activate yet. I really do hope to meet up with you again - I’ll give you a heads up when I go for that W1 Connecticut summit.

Jill // N3ICE

Congratulations Jim. We started in SOTA about the same time so we have had many activator/chaser QSO’s with each other over the years. It still seems a bit strange when you and Frandy are not on the same summit together. Here is hoping for a bunch more QSO’s in the future.

73 Rich N4EX

Congratulations Jim, on your MG and welcome to the herd.

Lee

Congrats! :mountain_snow: :goat:! Kris

Congratulations, Jim!