Kinder Scout

With a free morning in prospect, unsurprisingly my mind turned to local hills for a short activation. The forecast was for a dusting of snow overnight and a bright day so the prospects looked good. In the event, on waking I found the car was covered in snow (as was everything else) so I decided to tackle Kinder from the Hayfield side rather than risk an early descent of the Mam Tor pass.

With Radio 1 to help, the drive across was without incident. The parking spot, while icy, was easily accessible (I took care to park facing downhill for an easy getaway). Boots on and with a clearing sky this seemed the ideal day for some cold play on the hills. There was an icy breeze and although my new furry hood kept my head warm, my cheeks were decidedly chilly (made a mental note not to try chaps and thong again in winter).

The snow was undisturbed by humans along the path and, as I broke the trail, I felt that I was on a sort of snow patrol. There were plenty of tracks: I recognised grouse, a fox and a hare (only because I saw the hare). There were other tracks that I was unable to recognise though and they played on my mind throughout the activation - what were they?

I plodded on through the snow to the top. The snow was deeper here and I needed to leave the path to find somewhere to operate. Eventually I found a suitable one of Kinder’s odd rocky outcrops and was able to get out of the wind “Hallelujah” [AB, 2008] I thought to myself. Getting the pegs into the ground for the aerial was problematic and required me to find a rock – most were frozen to the ground but with some kicking, one was freed and pressed into service.

Once the aerial was set up I threaded it into the bothy bag and made myself comfortable. It is surprising how warm they get “you’re hot then you’re cold…you’re in then you’re out” [of the breeze] [KP, 2008]. A short call on 7.032 and the pile-up began. There was skip of all lengths and 40+ contacts were logged in just over 30 minutes. 40m really was a band on the run this morning.

Eventually, the pile-up ran out and I paused for hot chocolate (Green and Blacks – the only one to drink) and a jam sandwich. Packing up, I enjoyed the sunshine and the solitude of the hill. Walking back I noted that only my tracks were there – no-one else. Normally, I would have been accompanied by Mai Ling but she is now back at school; no Kinder Scouting for girls this time.

On my return drive I thought once more about those mysterious tracks. At home, I rang the Peak District National Park. Eventually I got through to one of their wildlife experts. I described the tracks to her and she became very excited. She recognised them immediately and exclaimed that they have never been recorded this far south before. Apparently it was the first clear evidence of the very rare Arctic monkeys in the Peak District.

With thanks to Radio 1.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

Thanks for the activation report Little Richard. Thanks also for the QSO from me to you, I have to admit that I was surprised at the varying skip distances this beautiful morning on ub 40 metres, your gigs were strong for a station so close and yet so far away, yet the EU stations were also booming in. One of the weird and wonderful aspects of propagation.

Mike GW0DSP

Did you take that yellow jacket again?

In reply to M1EYP:

Leadbelly?

Never 'eard of 'em.

In reply to G3CWI:
Me being tonge in cheek,
Leadbelly or Yelolwbelly !!!
better shut up before i say something that might get me kicked off here,

Hope the sight seeing was better than my last 3 activations, I have never seen anything from the top always under cloud,
When i did it December 2008 it was bloody cold awell,
Im looking forward to activating this summit again soon with Angela.
Steve m0sgb

Why the need to be cryptic gents, spit it out, share the joke with everyone.

Mike GW0DSP

I was just continuing Richard’s theme of slipping band names in, with a further couple in my question. Quite where it went after that, I’m as much in the dark as you are Mike!

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Cheers Tom, no problem, song titles too. Steve’s comment has me baffled though.

Mike GW0DSP

In reply to G3CWI:

A short call on 7.032 and the pile-up began.
Probably quite difficult to key in the cold with stiff little fingers?
73 Marc

In reply to G0AZS:

Probably quite difficult to key in the cold with stiff little fingers

With everyone seeing terrorists everywhere I’m surprised they dont look on your radio as a suspect device. :wink:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G0AZS:

In reply to G3CWI:

A short call on 7.032 and the pile-up began.
Probably quite difficult to key in the cold with stiff little fingers?
73 Marc

I wish my keying in warm weather was as good as Richard’s is in cold weather!

Mike GW0DSP

Don’t much care for stiff little fingers while I’m keying. Has anyone seen a weather report for tomorrow morning?

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Forecast to be the coldest night of the winter so far, especially in West Midlands and Northwest England.

73 de Les, G3VQO

In reply to M1EYP:

Has anyone seen a weather report for tomorrow morning?

The cold weather will soon Wayne and the nights will start to get Shorter. But there’s likely to be more Heavy Weather before the end of the bonus period!

:wink:

Andy
MM0FMF

(with apologies)

Aha! Yes, well done Andy. (And sorry Les, gotcha!).

But in this heavy weather, and with new kids on the block like Jordan, Jimmy, Timothy and Thomas all out activating up a Mountain, what must their Mothers be thinking?

Tom M1EYP, in a rush to get to the pub.
(claiming 6 “uniques” with this one)

In reply to M1EYP:

But in the pub will there be any whiskey in the jar? and remember, if you drink too much, nothing ever happens. If you are walking, get a move on but watch out for the cars. Also watch out for prospective stranglers lurking in the shadows. If you do have one too many and imagine yourself to be the king of the road, the police may want to have a word with you, don’t resist them macc lads or they will lock you in a soft cell for a silent night.

You can figure the uniques out in that one, hi. 13 I reckon.

Mike GW0DSP

In reply to M1EYP:

But in this heavy weather, and with new kids on the block like Jordan,
Jimmy, Timothy and Thomas all out activating up a Mountain, what must
their Mothers be thinking?

In response to the above as a Mother - Either I wouldn’t let Jordan go or I’d be ringing his mobile every 10 mins. If there’s no answer - one reaction - PANIC!!!
But there is the other option - I’d be walking with him.
NOW I see your point - What kind of mother would drag her children out in this weather - Only a SOTA operator.
I shall be making an appointment at the psychiatrists later!! (Hee Hee !!)

Amanda (2E0MND)

In reply to M3MND:

Amanda, I’m not sure if you realise what’s been happening in this thread. Every post is full of song titles and or artistes/bands. Read them through again and all will make better sense.

It was great to meet up with you and your family, what a pity Ian couldn’t make it.

Mike GW0DSP

In reply to GW0DSP:

Sorry, was half way through typing and got interrupted by the patter of tiny feet across the landing.

It was suppose to read

And now after my trip to "Insania"
I shall be making an appointment at the psychiatrists later!! (Hee Hee !!)