Keep warm on a summit

In reply to GW7AAV:
i,ll ask the manager at the local aldi exactly when they are coming in so you will all know, not much outlay for a lot of warmth in my opinion, im sure theres some in a draw here i,ll have to conduct a search, and i will be able to let you all know of temps and times they last etc

Just a general reply in response to a few points raised above.

I have succesfully sheltered under a golfing umbrella whilst activating in bad weather, it worked quite well using my back to brace it. It’s main function as a windbreak. I have often considered getting a fishing umbrella with guy lines, but they seem to be quite bulky and expensive.

I have used chemical handwarmers in the past, but mine got really hot!! Would probably get some more if they were going cheap at ALDI (my recent favourite shop!).

With regards to ALDI, I have become a recent convert, and their gear seems to do the job very well. I bought some Thinsulate trousers a couple of weeks ago, and can’t wait to try them out, but I fear they’ll be too warm for the trek to the summit!

On a recent trip to Ambleside, I got a Mountain Equipment Ogre, which is the Gore Tex jacket that Trail mag raves about. I treated myself as Mountain Equipment have dropped the burnt orange colour for 2009, and the price was substantially marked down from RRP. This is a different approach to the Paramo that 'INK recommends, but I also found after browsing around Ambleside (again!) last weekend in the pouring rain, that on returning to the car, a quick shake and my jacket was almost dry! I love my ME Ogre, and it seems to perform very well, although it’s not been up a ‘proper’ mountain yet - roll on winter bonus season!!

I have used a bothy bag once, and it always stays in my 'pack for emergency use, but I found that it was very noisy flapping about in the wind. I would think that it would be better to have two people inside in the shelter so as to make it more rigid, thereby reducing flapping (I activate alone). It also makes it difficult to use a beam antenna etc, as the antenna would be outside of the shelter. (Rotating beam antennas is my pet hate!! Petty, I know!)

I like to use natural structures, walls, peat hags etc for shelter mostly. The summit cairn or shelter often provides good shelter, of course, but I prefer not to disturb the peace of other walkers and always activate away from these areas if there are other people about.

Not posted on SOTAwatch for a while, so apologies for quite a random post, but it feels good to have expressed the things I wanted to say!

Best wishes to all, and I hope to get back on the air soon.(Well, probably after Dec 1st!)

Colin M0CGH.

Later edit - put me down for the ‘spice club’ too! We started with the chilli flake thing after visiting pizza hut. I know someone at work who puts chilli flakes on everything too - its seems like its sweeping the nation!

In reply to M0CGH:

Colin

I have written a short article on various methods of sheltering on hilltops that will appear in the January edition of Radcom.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to thread:

Has anybody tried using a self-erecting fishing shelter?

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:
Thought about those Brian and some have built in ground sheet too, look forward to the Radcom article Richard. Sean

In reply to G8ADD:

I use one of these for portable contest operation.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/2-seconds-xl-0-35284709/

Its very quick to put up.

In high winds it folds/squashes, rather than breaking like some other shelters I have tried.

Its a bit awkward to carry ( 56cm disc ).

Nigel. G6SFP

In reply to G1INK:

I can recommend waterproofs from Paramo - I`ve never had a leak yet.
The water beads up on the outside of the jacket. When you get back to
the car, shake the jacket, the water falls off then its dry enough to
throw in the car boot.

Hi Steve,

A friend was extolling the virtues of the Paramo waterproof jackets she and her husband have. Looks like I will have to “survive” this winter and kit up with an Alta II for next… unless my bank will give me a loan, Hi!

73 and thanks, Gerald

In reply to G8ADD:

Has anybody tried using a self-erecting fishing shelter?

I find I haven’t got room for one as I always take a couple of blacksmith’s anvils up the hills with me!

:slight_smile:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G4OIG:

extolling the virtues of the Paramo waterproof jackets

They do make GoreTex look as effective as rice paper at keeping you dry. Not cheap and friends who have them say they are always hot when wearing them.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G8ADD:

There is an interesting French site on light weight hiking, shelters, traps etc. Many of these self made shelters weight about 0.5 kg. Normally you do not want to camp on the summit, so wind gusts are a problem for any shelters with large surface area.

http://www.randonner-leger.org/

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

In reply to MM0FMF:

…friends who have them say they are always hot when wearing them.

Hi Andy,

That I can well believe. The Alta II claims to be lighter weight and has the arm vents, so it would appear that they are developing the garments. Maybe the latest range are an improvement in respect of heat retention. Anyway, I think I can cope with a bit of “hot” while ascending as long as the “hot” stays with me on the summit! Shivering has been known to cause the PTT to drop out!

73, Gerald

In reply to F5VGL:
Excellent site Jaakko homebrew rules and given me ideas, there was guy at work into ultra light weight back packing but sadly he has left he used to make all sorts from poles to stoves that run on alcohol / Meths. Sean