K7MAS - USA General Class Operator = Can I operate in Ireland?

The CEPT Regulations for Ireland are confusing. Especially for USA General Class operators. Anyone have any experience at this? I’m beginning to plan a trip to Ireland, and noted many SOTA Summits!

I visited Switzerland in 2014 and operated under “Novice” licensing. It seems Ireland does not even allow that?

I may as well push on and upgrade to Extra, and at least remove the issue of a USA General Class license being considered a “Novice” class license, at BEST, and possibly not allowed at all.

Thank you in advance,

Mark, K7MAS

HELLO MARK
I LL HAVE TO GET A FLYER FROM SAN DIMAS CHAMBER THIS WEEK I THINK THEY OUR PLANINING Ireland TRIP I THINK IN MARCH KM6CEM

Hi Mark,
In general CEPT arrangements ONLY apply to the “top” class of licence from each country - Known as Advanced or Full in some countries, Extra in the States etc. etc.

There is however in addition to the CEPT TR/61-01 agreement an EU agreement (ECC recomendation (05/06)) that allows the midde class (Intermediate, Standard, Novice) licence to operate with the equivalent level of rights to the middle licence in the other country as long as the syllabus for this level of licence conforms to the European standard (see ERC report 32 from September 2005). Far fewer countries have signed up to this agreement, and as far as I know, this is only within Europe at the moment. Ireland is not a member of this agreement (I believe Ireland only has one level of licence - full). The US is not a member of this agrement.

So if you do not have the top level licence in the US, you will not be able to take advantage of the “easy” reciprocal process and will need to contact the Irish authorities directly to see if they are willing to issue you a one-off reciprocal licence for the period of your stay.

By the way, I presume you are reffering to southern Ireland not northern Ireland. If the latter, you will need to aproach the UK authorities for the same reasons.

I hope this helps, 73 Ed.

1 Like

Hi Ed:

I’m sorry I did not answer before. Thank you for the information. I had found out the same information from other sources.

In any event, I’m working on my upgrade to Extra Class, and hope to have it accomplished by end of June, 2016.

In the meantime, I’m having much fun activating in the mountainous states of western USA. See:
http://www.pnwsota.org/blog/k7mas/2015-june-02/sota-activation-navaho-peak-chelan-kittitas-counties-dividing-line-washingto

73, Mark

Good luck with the upgrade to Extra class Mark.

SOTA is a special part of this hobby of ours both in the special challenges it produces for both operator and equipment and for the world-wide community of friends it brings.

73 Ed.

1 Like

Hi Mark,
FYI. Rummage around visitor temporary licence.

Have a nice holiday.
Cheers
Mike
PS: If you email me (qrz is OK) I can give you some contact email addresses which you can quiz.

Hi Mark

Take a look into http://www.erodocdb.dk/doks/implement_doc_adm.aspx?docid=1802 and http://www.erodocdb.dk/Docs/doc98/official/pdf/TR6102.PDF

Those are the oficial documents and includes USA.

Pedro

Hi Pedro

Yes but take care. USA is included in Annex 4 but it is Extra class and not General (per the original question)

73 Marc G0AZS

Hi Marc

Absolutely.

I posted the files for consultation. From there you have all the picture…

Pedro

Hi Pedro

Actually I need to correct myself, it would be Extra and Advanced Class licenses that could follow CEPT operation.

The problem (as Mark says above) is that a General class licence would only seem to have rights to operate under “Novice” conditions in a few CEPT countries which have adopted ECC Recommendation (05)06… which is a more limited list and Ireland does not fall into it.

Furthermore (it gets interesting the more you dig into it), when I go on holiday this coming summer, I will be able to operate as CT9/G0AZS but not CT9/K1UG. This is because, although I hold a valid Extra class licence in the US, the entitlement to operate overseas with a US call under CEPT only applies if you are a US citizen.

The ARRL has good information here:

…and the relevant FCC notice about it posted here:

All very interesting…

73 Marc G0AZS

Very interesting indeed!

While CEPT agreement specifies citizenship, the Portuguese law (this includes Mainland, Madeira and Azores) specifies “license class” not citizenship. So, if you hold an extra class license (US) you are allowed to use it here no matter you citizenship.

So, you have a choice: CT9/G0AZS or CT9/K1UG. :slight_smile:

If you are heading to Ireland you should use EI/G0AZS.

Hmm… I’m not sure now.

The US citizenship requirement is what the FCC specify (as the body that issued the licence) in their notice. We might need a lawyer to interpret it all!

In any case I’ll stick with CT9/G0AZS to be on the safe side…

73 Marc G0AZS

I understand your concern and the safe side is always the safe side.

But
quote=“G0AZS, post:12, topic:12008”]
The US citizenship requirement is what the FCC specify
[/quote]

FCC could say that you must to be able to cook “alcatra” (Azorean gormet dish) to operate in Portugal.
If the portuguese law state otherwise, it’s the portuguese law that rules.
If you will cook “Alcatra” I will be pleased to be your guest…Please let me know or came here to taste it. :smile:

ANACOM (portuguese comm authority) is clear on this. They are concerned about the license class not to the citizenship.
The following is the Portuguese rule. Try google translator or bing translator: you wouln’t find the word “citizenship”.
(The google translator from PT to En is quite accurate on this)

Identificação dos documentos habilitantes que permitem a utilização de estações e dos procedimentos específicos a que se encontram obrigados os respectivos titulares – N.º 4 do artigo 8º do Decreto-Lei n.º 53/2009

1. São considerados documentos habilitantes para a utilização de estações de amador, quando em estadas temporárias em Portugal, os seguintes:
    a) Licença “CEPT” emitida por outra administração que tenha adoptado a Recomendação CEPT T/R 61-01;
    b) Licença “CEPT novice”, emitida por outra administração que tenha adoptado a Recomendação CEPT ECC/REC/(05)06.
    c) Certificado de Operador de Estação de Radioamador (COER), das classes A e B, emitido pela Administração da República Federativa do Brasil.
  2. Os titulares de documentos habilitantes válidos podem utilizar estações de amador próprias ou de outros amadores de acordo com o disposto na legislação aplicável e em particular tendo em atenção o definido no Quadro Nacional de Atribuição de Frequências (QNAF) quanto às condições de utilização das faixas de frequências e do disposto nos n.os 13, 14 e 15 da Parte IX deste documento quanto à utilização de indicativos de chamada de estação.

Sempre que um amador estabeleça comunicações ao abrigo de uma licença “CEPT” emitida por uma outra Administração, para além de cumprir o disposto no número anterior, deve emitir o IC da sua estação de amador antecedido do prefixo:
    a) “CT7” se estiver a operar numa estação de amador situada na área geográfica POR;
    b) “CT8” se estiver a operar numa estação de amador situada na área geográfica AZR;
    c) “CT9” se estiver a operar numa estação de amador situada na área geográfica MDR.
  3. Sempre que um amador estabeleça comunicações ao abrigo de uma licença “CEPT novice” emitida por uma outra Administração, para além de cumprir o disposto no número 12, deve emitir o IC da sua estação de amador antecedido
    do prefixo:
    a) “CS7” se estiver a operar numa estação de amador situada na área geográfica POR;
    b) “CS8” se estiver a operar numa estação de amador situada na área geográfica AZR;
    c)"CS9” se estiver a operar numa estação de amador situada na área geográfica MDR.

Madeira is a wonderful island. Enjoy it!
If you look to nature…Visit Azores!

73 de Pedro

Hi Pedro

Porto Santo actually…

I am really looking forward to it!

73 Marc G0AZS

Small hills but what a beach… :smile:

No stress on such place. Happy holidays !

Pedro