Just a thought for Activator Points

In reply to G1FOA:

In reply to G8ADD:

I have also noticed that the ones (and no names) who do frequent
activations from the same site are usually the ones who tend to have
high numbers of QSO’s per activation even with new sites and not just
the required 4 to activate the hill.

If I were to move to GM and activate the same summits on a regular basis, it would be almost impossible to achieve the contacts on the 2m band I do from the densely populated areas surrounding G/SP. The amount of traffic that can be heard at weekends that is generated by SOTA, is quite amazing. Take out the SOTA activity and you would find 2m in pretty poor shape.

I think, at the end of the day, everyone must decide what they want out of SOTA, Peter.

Whether it’s chasing from the shack, activating uniques, collecting loads of points from multiple activations or simply sitting on top of your favorite summit happily working a pile-up.

For my part… Well, I’ve made loads of new friends, done a lot of experimenting (most of it hare brained), built a bit of kit, maybe broke a few minor records on VHF, lost twenty one pounds in weight since Christmas, become the fittest I’ve been for 35 years and made my quack a very happy bunny.

It was G1STQ who first introduced me to SOTA and for that reason, I’ve almost forgiven him for allowing me to carry his flat 20Ah SLAB up a summit last year :wink:

Mike 2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Notice the word “almost”. Makes all the difference :frowning:
After almost 12 months he is still moaning…you should have heard him on the summit! Did’nt nead a radio that day :frowning:

This is a strange sort of hobby. In the main it is a very lonely existance, getting to know other like-minded individuals from all over the world…but not really knowing anyone.

There are also so many different aspects of radio to enjoy - SOTA being just one of many. Live and let live I say. As long as a station is enjoying their radio I cannot see any harm in doing any type of activation (or SWL for that matter).

Long live Mickeys Tor!

In reply to G1STQ:
I think if Mike left his batteries on top of Shining tor it would gain height and add a few points after a few months worth of activations, a bit like a battery cairn, not environmentally friendly I know but just think of the monument it would create Hi Hi. (and you wouldn’t have to carry em back down Mike)

In reply to 2E0CRZ:

Thinking about it, it would be a change to have an activity that increases the height of a hill, wear and tear from foot traffic is reducing the height of many of them! How often do you see the concrete bedding of a trig point several inches above the ground surface that it was once level with, such as Walton Hill or Easington Fell?

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

I dont recall any trig on Easington Fell, maybe its been eroded. However Black Hill SP-002 is the worst I can remember.
Imgur

In reply to G1INK:

Is that one worse than The Cheviot? I thought that was very impressive the way the peat had been eroded over such a huge area.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to M1EYP:

Unlike Mike, I do lots of uniques in between all my repeats :wink:

I always did say school teachers are overpaid and have far too much time off!

:wink: :wink:

By the way, I have one of the lowest “points per activation” averages in the table … 0.55 … but I still managed to get my 100-points activator’s award last week! At this rate, it will take me 18 more years to reach Mountain Goat status. Tee hee!

Walt (G3NYY)