It's time for.... the 2024 10m Challenge. (Part 4)

I was very happy to catch you also on SSB Takeo san!
Nice signal with your vertical and 10W :+1:
I’ll send you mp3 file with your signal on my 2 el. yagi here in Munich city.

73, Mario DJ2MX

3 Likes

Thank you Mario! After your call DL6MST also chased me with excellent signals. You both were the only two SSB QSOs with Europe
I hope to copy you again!
73, Takeo JP3PPL

Very pleased to chase you on JA/HG-076. Due to the narrow windows of propagation, all contacts with east Asia from Virginia are special, doubly so with a QRP portable station, and thrice so on 10 m!

There were two or three other JA SOTAs spotted on 10 and 12 m at the same time. I listened to all of them – your signal was the only one I could copy.

1 Like

Hi Matt! It is true that QSOs with the East coast are not easy but this time the signals were impressive! I dare say that in some cases they arrived stronger than those from the west coast. I never thought I would be able to do SSB QSOs with this region of the USA.
In the last 3 or 4 activations I did from JA/HG-076 I have had excellent DX conditions and if I’m not mistaken I always have some QSOs with the east coast.
Thanks for the chase!

2 Likes

Am I the first to notice there is now a Global List for Chasers - and no surprises Chris @F4WBN is at the top! Thank you to the MT for providing this, I am in favour.

73 Phil G4OBK

PS There is also an activators Global List!

1 Like

Wonderful results, Takeo. Congratulations!
And thank you for the S2S CW and SSB QSOs on Friday from W6/CT-265. Very nice SSB signal!
I also worked Yoshi, JE1LHW/1 and Katsu, JP3DGT/3 plus several regular JA chasers. TU!
This morning to Europe from W6/CT-226 was pretty good. There is a higher noise floor on this summit so hearing weaker stations is a challenge.
72, David N6AN

1 Like

Thank you! It’s a very long Challenge and everything can change by the end of the year…!
Good luck to all!
Participation is important and some discover the 10 meters, it’s perfect.
73 to all
Chris F4WBN

3 Likes

It was great to hear you, Ignacio!Thanks for the S2S.
I think of you every time I wind up my wire antennas and lines. Mil gracias.
72, David N6AN

1 Like

@F4WBN sorry we didn’t manage the QSO this afternoon. You were coming through quite strong with me but I think the QRM was wiping me out at your end.

@n6an I could just about hear you this afternoon but there was a very loud station about 2 kHz from you wiping you out at my end :confused:. I tried calling but don’t think you heard me either. Next time hopefully.

@M1EYP I couldn’t hear you on FT8 or SSB which was surprising as I think we were almost line of sight. Maybe we just missed each other.

I had trouble on FT8 today, the surface tablet was barely picking up any audio through the cable from the radio. In the end I turned the volume up on the radio and used the built in microphone which worked much better.
Then after 20 minutes the battery suddenly went flat, even though it was showing 50% remaining at the time.

1 Like

Hi, Pete. I did finally cobble together your call, but you couldn’t hear my responses. As the SFI increases our chances improve. The one setback is the storm we are beginning today that lasts through the week. Hopefully there will be a break in the rain over the next several days.
72, David N6AN

Today at the end of our vacation and again in sunny weather, another small activation in the Basel area HB/BL-001. Once again DX to the USA on the 10m band.

73 HB9HBV + HB9HBU Jean-Pierre and Anita

2 Likes

Thank you David for patiently working one of those weaker stations! Was thrilled to get you from my car using about 30W and a mobile whip! I don’t get to work your side of the US often, so I was very pleased to get you in the log.

73 and look forward to the next one,

Matthew M0JSB

1 Like

My pleasure, Matthew. Thanks for sticking with me. I will dig as long as there is a signal to dig for, hi!
It’s amazing what one can copy with several passes and some cooperation from QSB. I try to time it, like riding a wave.
72, David N6AN

2 Likes

:+1: :+1: :+1:

Hope you kept at least 2 wheels on tarmac this time… :wink:

1 Like

Preferably the driven ones.

1 Like

Thank you! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I had the duty of driving my son Liam and his mate Josh to the Liverpool Anime & Gaming Con at Aintree Racecourse today. Drop off at 11.30am, pick up at 5pm. Billinge Hill G/SP-017 just up the road…

But that’s a bobbins summit and I’ve already done it this year - so no SOTA points and no 10m Challenge multiplier on offer. So I decided to squeeze in Hope Mountain GW/NW-062 instead. OK, that’s an hour’s drive each way via the Mersey Tunnel and M53 - but that still afforded a comfortable 3 hours of time on the hill.

This is a private summit. The entire activation zone is on private farmland with no public right of way passing through. Fortunately, the landowner, David, over the years has been accommodating to polite requests from activators.

I phoned this morning and spoke to David’s wife, who cheerfully granted permission as usual. I didn’t see anyone while I was there, apart from a brief glimpse of their son working on the farrm. I was greeted though by an old and blind dog, and then a very friendly horse in the paddock!

The wind was fierce at the summit and I don’t think a fibreglass mast would have survived. I set up halfway down the leeward slope between the trig point and the transmitter station to gain sufficient shelter.

10m FT4: 5 QSOs - G, RA, UR, W
10m SSB: 6 QSOs - EA8, G, OH, SV, W, YO - S2S: YO8AZQ/P on YO/EC-623
10m CW: 12 QSOs - F, GW, HB, LZ, RA, UR, W - S2S: WA7JTM on W7A/MN-095
10m FT8: 5 QSOs - G, SV, YU
10m FM: 1 QSO - W
2m FM: 2 QSOs - G

On my return to the car, I noticed an arrangement of items in the garden. A search when I returned home revealed the sad news that David had passed in May 2023. Such a cheerful and engaging chap, as anyone who met him will testify.

2 Likes

David thank you for both calling CW/SSB really nice signals! When I heard “S2S” with great signals I couldn’t believe it…
Thanks again and for more S2S crossing the ocean!
73, Takeo JP3PPL

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after reaching the maximum limit of 100 replies. Continue discussion at It’s time for… the 2024 10m Challenge. (Part 5).