Isle of Man visit - GD/GD-002 - Slieau Freoaghane

I am heading back to the IoM next week and planning on activating the last hill that escaped me last time I was there. This hill being GD/GD-002 - Slieau Freoaghane (not sure how you pronounce it Sleeu Froggy?)
I will have 2m APRS running and additionally 439Mhz LoRa APRS as well. It will be interesting to see how far the APRS signal from both devices gets from the top of a hill.
Planned activation is 9th May 15:30 - 17:00 ish on HF and might give 2m a try as well.

Cheers
John
m0vaz

4 Likes

Just checking your info John. Slieau Freoaghane is GD/GD-002 not GD/GD-004.

73 Phil G4OBK

1 Like

Cheers, just edited the post.

Thanks
John
m0vaz

1 Like

It’s spelt “Slieau Freoaghane” but pronounced Throat Warbler Mangrove.

Sorry couldn’t resist a Python gag. Don’t know… I did know as someone taught me but the onset of older age has meant that I’ve forgotten. That or someone is stealing memories when I sleep :frowning:

3 Likes

Hi John @M0VAZ,

Nic & I will be in Scotland, around the Loch Lomond area next week. If we can get a S2S with you, that would be great - I’ll take 2m so we have that option, as HF has been duff the last week or two (at least it has been for us doing early activations).

73, Simon

2 Likes

That would be good if we could get a S2S. Happy to PM you my mobile number if it helps to update/sched for the afternoon?

ta

3 Likes

If I remember correctly, this summit has a bell on top. Make sure you give it a good ring @M0VAZ John :slight_smile: :slight_smile: enjoy and good luck!

73, Ben
GW4BML

2 Likes

Cheers Ben

2 Likes

Yes it has a bell, very loud when you ring it.
David
G0EVV

2 Likes

The pronounciation is given on Wikipedia in IPA as [sluː fəˈɾaːn], along with a link to the IPA conventions for Manx.

Trying to express pronounciations with pseudo-English respelling unambiguously is notoriously difficult. English spelling-to-sound rules are slippery at the best of times and vary with accent. Using the conventions used by the BBC pronounciation unit the best I can come up with is “sloo fuh-RAAN”, with the caveat that the uh here is used to represent the “schwa”, or vague mid central vowel that English speakers use for almost all unstressed vowels regardless of the written letter.

Whatever, the pronounciation is much easier than the spelling! Just say it with confidence and hope that nobody asks you to spell it out.

Martyn M1MAJ

3 Likes

On advantage of ZL I suppose. Te reo Maori places seem to be written almost entirely with vowels. Quick and easy in morse at least if someone wants the name of your operating QTH.

Imagine the morse for those eastern european place names consisting entirely of obscure constanants!

3 Likes

Thanks Martin, I might as a local when I get over there

Or this one?

2 Likes

Hi John,
I’m on Ben More on Mull ( GM/SI-003 and GM/SI-034 ). If our luck aligns, 2m is (rather impressively) line of sight…
Tim

2 Likes

Be good to get a S2S to GM/SI land. Happy to PM a mobile number if it helps to line up possible contacts?

1 Like