Other SOTA sites: SOTAwatch | SOTA Home | Database | Video | Photos | Shop | Mapping | FAQs | Facebook | Contact SOTA

Isle of Man trip

Big Sorry To All,
Our trip to Isle of Man,

Started from Manchester 23-00hrs on Friday 16/05/2008, for the ferry to Isle of Man arrived at 05-30am Saturday morning Made our way over to Peel on the west side, Pitched the tents and a few hours sleep, On Saturday we enjoyed ourselves walking around and sightseeing the Southern side of the island, Castleton, Port St Mary and Port Erin, After seeing the Calf of Man, Angela said I could have permission to Test the radio out for a short while (yippee radio), Made my way to Mull Hill GD/gd-005 set up the antenna & rig on and away we go, First in the log was GI4MWA Fred on Gi/AH-005, and GI4SNA Dave, Then the problems started my audio was awful, What’s this, big problems, The ft857 and 7.2amp battery don’t mix for me anyway. Then lost the sota-pole, backed up with duck-tape, I made 3 qso’s, and give up, made our way back to Peel where I thought it was the battery’s playing up but no it was the connector, had a qso with Martyn (GD3YUM) who was feeling a little bit under the weather, We had already made our plans for activating our contest, Martyn was running late with other jobs and what knots, We met up for the last few hours of the contest, Then with what life was left in the 7.2ah battery of I went to do South Barrule GD/gd-003, only 7 qso’s in the log did hear G4BLH but when I called him he had gone sorry mike, I did try 5mhz, 7mhz and 144ssb but got nothing so went over to 145-fm for the last half hour, Made my way back to the camp site just in time for tea, Then down in to Douglas for the night drinking soaking up the late night, wonderful, Monday brought another great sunny day, so went go-karting, playing crazy-golf and a short walk around the harbour of Douglas, Before keeping Bobbie happy by going to the swimming baths, (what great fun the slide is). Something to drink and ready to board the ferry at 18-00hrs when we spotted Martyn at the terminal waving us goodbye, Got back onto the mainland at 23-00hrs where Bobbie was complaining of stomach pains (take me to hospital please dad), later to find out that Bobbie is 2 months pregnant, Big thanks to all whom worked in the contest and sorry to all for not being on the summit (in contest). But did try later,
Hope to be out again in the next backpackers contest from another summit not sure which one listen out on 144ssb.
Once again sorry to all who never worked us.
Steve m0sgb

In reply to M0SGB:
GD3YUM, Martyn still cant get the e-mails through to you, please get in touch with me at m0sgb@yahoo.co.uk

Sorry for of topic,
Steve m0sgb