Invalid Activation W4C/EM-085 Pilot Mountain

Thanks, Keith, for your honesty. That is a great indication of your integrity. I made a S2S with NW2Z on that day and have removed it from the database. But I did leave the contact in my activator log as it would simply be a chaser working me. NW2Z would have worked me portable, which is perfectly legal. It just wouldn’t be a S2S.:hiking_boot:

Ron, KI4TN

1 Like

You are exactly correct, but personally I use 75 feet to be sure I am in the AZ. If I hold a GPS unit in my hand, the elevation of the ground would actually be 4 to 5 feet lower than my reading. That is also assuming that the GPS is accurate to within one vertical foot, which it is probably not, so I feel safer by using 75 feet instead of 82.

But that is just me; I prefer to err on the side of caution. For a new summit, I like to go all the way to the top. For one that I have activated before and have already seen the view, the AZ is good enough. But I still go well above the 25 meter line. :hiking_boot:

Ron, KI4TN

This is another example of why its great to be part of the SOTA community. Thanks Keith for your demonstration of being a great activator!

Keith, I was simply happy we were able to QSO trans Atlantic—that was enough for me! :wink:

Paul CT7/K9PM

1 Like