Invalid Activation W4C/EM-085 Pilot Mountain

Keith,

All is not lost. You can claim your S2S contacts as chases. I will update my log accordingly. Dean ~ K2JB

1 Like

I sympathise with the disappointment and applaud your frankness in acknowledging the problem.
73 Andrew VK1DA/VK2UH

2 Likes

Exemplary spirit of integrity Keith.

Ariel NY4G

2 Likes

Hi Keith,

Indeed the deception is understandable, but one learns a lot from one’s mistakes.
Thank you for pointing that out. Look for you on the next one !
73’s and HNY
Laurent de F8CZI

1 Like

Keith, I worked NW2Z yesterday from there also. Was he with you guys?

Thanks.

73, Todd KH2TJ

Thanks, Keith! It is an unfortunate situation where the activation zone of W4C/EM-085 - Pilot Mtn will probably never be legally accessible. Unfortunately, yesterday seems to have been a banner day for Pilot Mtn, with 5 activators in two different groups out on the mountain (KR7RK, WF4I, KW4CZ, NW2Z, KN4RBN). So, any contacts made yesterday with activators on W4C/EM-085 are not valid SOTA QSOs. There are two previous activations logged for Pilot Mtn (09 Mar 2018 & 20 Sep 2018) which are also unlikely to be valid activations, but will need confirmation from the activators first.

73, pat - KI4SVM

1 Like

Thanks Keith for the information. Logs are adjusted. It sure was easier for me to nulify than for you guys!

HNY es 73,
Gary K3TCU

I just deleted S2S contacts from 12/28/19 with NW2Z and KN4RBN Ref W4C/EM-085 when I was on W1/NL-024. Thanks for letting me know. There is another Pilot Mt. W4C/CM-021, which I assume this one is valid?
Bob AC1Z

Thanks Keith for the information and for being so honest.
I have deleted from the SOTA database my SOTA QSO with Gordon @KW4CZ, but I’ll still keep it in my main log because we had a valid and very nice ham radio QSO.

You can see there’s no ref. on the SOTA REF field and I put a comment explaining the unfortunate fact of the activation being invalid.

Guru

1 Like

Hi Bob, that summit is valid but has a steep climb to get to the top. The rewards are nice views of the Blue Ridge Parkway area.

73, pat - KI4SVM

Thanks for the info Pat…NW2Z was also working a POTA activation from there as well, so if you guys chase WWFF or POTA, and he uploads his log to either of these programs, they would be valid for those…

I did the same sort of thing on Scott Mtn, W4C-CM-156. K2JB kindly suggested I was not in the AZ, based on his activation there. I had eyeballed the 75 feet and got it wrong. Had to come back and re-do it a few days later. Got in the AZ that time!

Andy, N4LAG

What is this 75feet people talk about?

The AZ is 25m in W4C. Or 82ft

3 Likes

In addition to Andy’s comment be wary also of simply checking the elevation difference. It is necessary but not sufficient that your elevation is within the 25-m interval. But also the drop (by minimum descent) between the true summit and your position must not exceed 25 m. In other words the AZ does not extend to a nearby island of within-the-AZ elevation. It covers only the contiguous area down to the enclosing contour 25 m below the summit.

1 Like

There is also a discussioin on using GPS devices for checking elevation here:

Thanks, Keith!
Ken

Thanks, Keith, for your honesty. That is a great indication of your integrity. I made a S2S with NW2Z on that day and have removed it from the database. But I did leave the contact in my activator log as it would simply be a chaser working me. NW2Z would have worked me portable, which is perfectly legal. It just wouldn’t be a S2S.:hiking_boot:

Ron, KI4TN

1 Like

You are exactly correct, but personally I use 75 feet to be sure I am in the AZ. If I hold a GPS unit in my hand, the elevation of the ground would actually be 4 to 5 feet lower than my reading. That is also assuming that the GPS is accurate to within one vertical foot, which it is probably not, so I feel safer by using 75 feet instead of 82.

But that is just me; I prefer to err on the side of caution. For a new summit, I like to go all the way to the top. For one that I have activated before and have already seen the view, the AZ is good enough. But I still go well above the 25 meter line. :hiking_boot:

Ron, KI4TN

This is another example of why its great to be part of the SOTA community. Thanks Keith for your demonstration of being a great activator!

Keith, I was simply happy we were able to QSO trans Atlantic—that was enough for me! :wink:

Paul CT7/K9PM

1 Like