Internet Data Storage

I have often wondered why a SOTA summit was chosen to host most people’s data.
CloudComputing
©Crown copyright 2019 Ordnance Survey. Media 009/19

2 Likes

Tom goes up there all the time because he’s storing our database backups.

People who tought there data were stored here Google Maps stand now corrected :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Whenever you are copying and pasting OS Maps onto the reflector Richard, you need to add this underneath it until New Years Eve due to copyright.

©Crown copyright 2019 Ordnance Survey. Media 009/19

From New Years Day, you will then need to add this underneath OS Maps you copy of paste on the reflector.

©Crown copyright 2020 Ordnance Survey. Media 010/20

See Copying Ordnance Survey Maps Into A Topic - #17 by K6HPX

Jimmy M0HGY

1 Like

Storage On The Ascent?

1 Like

When people upload their files to The Cloud they must require energy to push the 1’s and 0’s up the hill and so those 1’s and 0’s gain potential energy. You would hope that when someone downloads a file from The Cloud all the 1’s and 0’s flowing downhill are used to turn a turbine and generate some elastictrickery. If not, think of the energy we are wasting.

1 Like

Only the ones have mass I think. I had not realised that you came from a family of grocers.

1 Like

I didn’t realise you hadn’t been to Grammar School!

Oxford University Press’ online guide says: (and confirms my Grammar school teaching of the 70s)

Apostrophes and plural forms

The general rule is that you should not use an apostrophe to form the plurals of nouns, abbreviations, or dates made up of numbers: just add -s (or -es , if the noun in question forms its plural with -es ). For example:

euro euros (e.g. The cost of the trip is 570 euros.)
pizza pizzas (e.g. Traditional Italian pizzas are thin and crisp.)
apple apples (e.g. She buys big bags of organic apples and carrots.)
MP MPs (e.g. Local MPs are divided on this issue.)
1990 1990s (e.g. The situation was different in the 1990s.)

It’s very important to remember this grammatical rule.

There are one or two cases in which it is acceptable to use an apostrophe to form a plural, purely for the sake of clarity: you can use an apostrophe to show the plurals of single letters:

I’ve dotted the i’s and crossed the t’s.

Find all the p’s in appear.

Find all the number 7’s.

These are the only cases in which it is generally considered acceptable to use an apostrophe to form plurals: remember that an apostrophe should never be used to form the plural of ordinary nouns, names, abbreviations, or numerical dates.

You can read more rules and guidelines about apostrophes on the Oxford Dictionaries blog.

:wink:

3 Likes

When it comes to the correct use of apostrophe’s Im an apostate!

1 Like

25 years ago I told a marketing guy, who was hassling me for the weight of a medical lab machine I was designing, that I couldn’t possibly tell him until the software was complete and had been weighed. When he said he didn’t know we weighed software I said “Not only weigh it but we try to get the ones and noughts evenly distributed about the software so the EPROMs stay true in their sockets. If all the ones were on one side they tip over like an unevenly loaded boat.” He wandered away blissfully ignorant he’d been suckered.

His secretary filled up the disc in her Mac once. (SE20 ISTR which dates this story). She asked what to do and the programming team told her to save all her documents in a smaller font to save space on the disc. We got a roasting later because she spent 3hrs loading, shrinking fonts and saving files. Worth it for the laughs as we didn’t think anybody would fall for that.

So yes, only the ones have mass.

3 Likes