Incorrect Summit Spots for KX0R 23 Oct 2021

KX0R was incorrectly spotted on the wrong summit by the RBN Hole on SOTAWatch today, Oct 23, 2021.

If you contacted KX0R today, Oct 23, between 1643Z and 1927Z, my correct summit is W0C/SR-052, Thorodin Mountain. I was not on W0C/FR-185 today, and most of my many spots are incorrect.

The incorrect spots stated my summit as W0C/FR-185, Centennial Cone. My alert was done correctly for W0C/FR-185 before I left home. I intended to activate this fun peak, but no legal parking was available at the trailhead.

Instead I activated W0C/SR-052, Thorodin Mountain, a few miles away. Since I was almost on time on Thorodin, most of my spots showed the wrong summit.

K6HPX kindly posted a correct spot for W0C/SR-052 for my 40M CW activation. Unfortunately, most of my chasers probably never knew there was a problem. I sent my correct summit reference repeatedly, on each band, and I attempted to get some of the stronger chasers to re-spot me, but except for K6HPX, none of them picked up the ball.

My various S2S contacts all contained the correct summit ref, so those should be OK.

In general you should go with what you hear on the air from activators, not on what you see on the Internet. Many situations can lead to a change in the summit that is actually activated. If you do a lot of activating, you will have to change plans occasionally.

When I log S2S contacts from other activators, I see many situations where the spots and the summit information from the activator are not the same. This happens for a variety of reasons.

The BAD news is that many of you need to correct your logs. I haven’t done my log yet, but I see about 80 contacts, mostly from different chasers and activators. It was a great day on Thorodin! It’s an almost perfect, quiet, high peak, really fantastic for HF and VHF propagation in all directions! I got 4 EU stations today - thank you for the DX! The piles were deep and loud, especially on 20M.

The good news is that W0C/SR-052 Thorodin stands at 3213M or 10540 feet, much higher than W0C/FR-185 Centennial Cone, at 2656M, or 8679 feet.

W0C/SR-052 is 6 points - this is CORRECT.
W0C/FR-185 is 2 points - WRONG summit.

That should help a bit.

Thank you and 73!

George/Carey
KX0R

5 Likes

Bad luck Old Mate having to change plans when you arrived at the first summit.
I had an “experience” this year too with a power failure on a Summit. Managed to get 4 QSO on the summit before battery died but called CQ DE VK5CZ/M meaning Mobile driving to the next summit and all hell broke loose with SOTA chasers. This was about 2 hours after I had left the summit. Up shot is with good advice from Andrew delete the Alert if something goes wrong then the RBN won’t think you are still on the summit, it obviously cant determine or understand /m at the end of the call as being Mobile.
I was lucky and Spammed out to our local dot io group to advise the chasers calling me in the mobile, and checked the who chased me section in the data base.
Regards hope to hear you soon on a summit the other day i heard a couple of your chasers but not you.
vk5cz …

1 Like

Hello, Carey.

Thanks for the two S2S QSOs today. I copied your reference and noticed the discrepancy with RBN spots. Two other stationss, K6YK at 1728Z, and WB5BKL at 1809Z, posted the correct reference.
By the way, you are my #1 chased activator and Thorodin is my #1 chased summit.

David N6AN

Thank you David!

You sure are in a lot of my logs lately! It’s nice that I can often hear you on 40, 30, and 20M during an activation.

Thanks also to K6YK and WB5BKL for those correct spots - sorry I missed them in my frustration. This is great support! Hopefully not so many logs will need changing.

I just posted my log for today, although I’ve not caught up on a few other recent activator logs. This will let folks check to see which spots to believe.

KX0R

Thanks for the QSO yesterday, Geo!
I did see one of the spots with the correct summit reference, so I looged you with the good one. No need to correct my log.
You had a big pile up and it took me quite a while to break it through. I was a bit stressed and jumping to other frequency because there were several other U.S. activators at the same time on 20m and I was fearing to miss some of them while working to break through your pileup. And this is what finally happened… :frowning:
However, with 47 SOTA activators chased yesterday (I think it was my record), I shouldn’t worry much for having missed one! :slight_smile:

Guru

2 Likes

We’re going to have to set some sort of SOTA traffic controller to avoid such jams… :wink:
If I remember well, there were activators on 14.0615; 0635; 064 and 065 at the same time. That’s too much stress for the chasers :wink:

Guru

1 Like

Guru,

Thanks for your interesting observations.

I get stressed when I have several S2S stations to chase at one time, and some of them are so weak that they may disappear. Then someone starts calling CQ and the activator quits!

The only real problem I had was when the clouds came in from the west, my fingers got cold. The air is cold above 3000M, and high activations are not always easy.

Always nice to hear your call!

KX0R

3 Likes

Hi Geo,
I understand your stress perfectly in these situations. I feel the same when I hear a DX activator and his signal deteriorates as time passes while I unsuccessfully try to be heard and picked up. I remember one activator, just a couple of days ago, who, by the time I chased him, the only signal report I could give him was a 229, but he was 549 when I first found him on the spotted frequency. Unfortunately the pileup was big and it took me very long to be heard.
When I’m activating, I always give priority to any DX station I hear calling because I know the opportunity window for a QSO is usually very small.
The same applies when I hear another activator calling for S2S.

Guru

2 Likes

Hi Guru and George,

I can certainly relate to the “fading activator” frustration, especially when you know conditions are only going in one direction. I have found that several times when I hear a rare W activator over here on the other side of the Pacific. They are usually running too fast for weak signals, and have too many local callers. I have not been lucky enough to catch one that actually calls for dx chasers occasionally. And it has happened when I’m activating too, so an s2s is lost. SOTA dinners and lunches must have a repetitive theme like fisherpersons, all about the one that got away!
But Guru, your technique of calling for (and giving priority to) s2s and dx contacts periodically is a very sensible idea and I hope it catches on.

73 Andrew VK1DA/VK2UH

1 Like

This is another aspect several activators don’t seem to catch yet. I have several times written here about how difficult or impossible is copying weak DX CW signals transmitted at too high speeds. A too weak morse signal travelling across the Atlantic Ocean gets totally lost when sent at crazy speeds of 25 WPM and higher, but it’s usually copiable at speeds of 18-20 WPM.
There are some US activators who are very often successful on working DX because their CW speed is slower. On the other hand, there are some US activators I can almost never chase because they work CW at 26WPM and higher and their fast morse is lost in the weak signal.
George KX0R usually works at 20-21 WPM and that, together with his well performing SOTA station are key for a great success on working DX.
18-20 WPM are a DX winner.
23-25 WPM and higher are too fast for weak signal DX.

Guru

4 Likes

KX0R I used ALOT of your info last summer to find the way to Summits in CO. Thanks for the info!

Thorodin was one of my favorites! I remember looking over to Starr Peak on a beautiful summer evening. That area is a blast and I can’t wait to get back.

In that area I saved Centralia for last. I did it right before I moved back East. Your warning “don’t mess with this mountain if you are not comfortable off trail and lack fitness” was no joke!

I was super fit after completing 40ish summits in the preceding months for the 2,200 vertical and found my way up easy enough. Coming down with darkness approaching in my haste I picked the wrong drainage (Northwest) and got pretty lost.

Once I figured out my location in the blackness I basically had to climb 1/2 way up again!!! At one point I was thinking I may have to stay the night. Luckily, I was prepared if that were the case. Upon reaching the drainage crest’s top a feeble light near the parking spot saved my bacon as I just headed for it the last mile. A great adventure I will treasure for life!

Erik
KE8OKM

Hey George!

I had this exact issue the other day during my activation. The chill is back in the air.

73 De VE6JTW, Jesse

1 Like

Beginner question.

What if anything should I do when I see a spot that says (Summit not recognised) ?

Where did you see this?